Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
psychovertical
psychovertical began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
strange SVG error/positioning problem

Hi

I've produced a epub for a very large 200,000 word instructional book that has around 70 svg diagrams. The book works fine as an epub, but once converted (via kindle preview and Calibre conversion and upload to kindle), the SVG images all break out onto their own page (so small inset images just appear alone on a single page). The strange thing is that when I export smaller chunks of the book the problem goes away? Could this be a processing issue with so many svg images?

Of course I can just replace with jpeg or png, but due to the nature of the images it's important that they can be scaled.

Any advice?

Thanks

Andy
psychovertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychovertical View Post
The book works fine as an epub, but once converted (via kindle preview and Calibre conversion and upload to kindle), the SVG images all break out onto their own page (so small inset images just appear alone on a single page).
Sadly, when KindleGen reaches SVG images, it adds page breaks before/after. Nothing you can do about it on your end. (Although I do remember last time it was discussed, Amazon MAY have corrected this bug? But don't quote me on that.)

Quote:
Of course I can just replace with jpeg or png, but due to the nature of the images it's important that they can be scaled.
Also, SVGs are only supported in KF8/KFX formats... to support old MOBI, you will have to enable PNG/JPG fallbacks using Media Queries (see Appendix D in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines).

Quote:
I've produced a epub [...] that has around 70 svg diagrams. [...] Could this be a processing issue with so many svg images?
I also did run across this line in their publishing guidelines (Section 9.4.11):

Quote:
eBooks with more than 25 SVG images are not supported in Enhanced Typesetting
... so you probably wouldn't be getting a KFX version of that book any time soon.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Sadly, when KindleGen reaches SVG images, it adds page breaks before/after. Nothing you can do about it on your end. (Although I do remember last time it was discussed, Amazon MAY have corrected this bug? But don't quote me on that.)
Not yet. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that anyone tried to use SVG, because of the limitations that you discuss, below, those being KF7, of course, and the ET issue.

Quote:
Also, SVGs are only supported in KF8/KFX formats... to support old MOBI, you will have to enable PNG/JPG fallbacks using Media Queries (see Appendix D in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines).
Yup. Not really up for discussion, unless...

Quote:
I also did run across this line in their publishing guidelines (Section 9.4.11):

... so you probably wouldn't be getting a KFX version of that book any time soon.
And, that too. Given what happens in KF7, it's not a great idea to try to ONLY use SVG. What happens to the millions of Kindle owners that have K2s, 3's, and KKeyboards? Not to mention, DXes? None of them will be able to buy or use the book, not satisfactorily. Your client will end up with Kindle Quality Notices out the wazoo.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote