Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Worthing
Worthing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Kindle Voyage
Kindle Voyage won't boot, could serial port help me?

My kindle voyage won't boot. It's stuck on the tree of life. I've left it on the charger for several days. I can hold done the power button and the screen will shut off for a moment before the tree of life pops back up. What I'm wondering is whether the debrick method of soldering a serial port would have any chance of success.

Windows doesn't currently see it at all if plug it in via USB.
I haven't jailbroken it, or done anything strange with it. It just stopped working one day.
Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Ok first unplug it before pressing the power button if you haven't done that already. Hold the button for 40 seconds.
Second contact Amazon. Especially if it is still under warranty.
Third someone should be around shortly to answer your question.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Worthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok first unplug it before pressing the power button if you haven't done that already. Hold the button for 40 seconds.
Second contact Amazon. Especially if it is still under warranty.
Third someone should be around shortly to answer your question.
Thinks for the tips. I've already done all that. It was well out of warranty, but they offered me a discount on a the Oasis when I contacted them about it, which is what I have now.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I know either the Voyage or Oasis doesn't have a serial port.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Worthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I know either the Voyage or Oasis doesn't have a serial port.
I'm referring to soldering a serial cable onto to the device, as shown here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263113

I'm really just looking to see if there's any chance of reviving a kindle that won't boot via this method. I don't want to go through all the hassle if its not going to work in the first place.
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing View Post
- - - - -
I'm really just looking to see if there's any chance of reviving a kindle that won't boot via this method. I don't want to go through all the hassle if its not going to work in the first place.
Unless you can tell us WHY the boot process is failing, nobody can tell you if this procedure will help you fix it.

If you do follow the directions to install a serial port, then the information that makes available is very likely to settle the "why" part of the question.

Translation:
You can not make any progress towards determining if it is fixable without the serial port connection.

If your not interested in gambling your time and effort, then use it as an exchange credit towards another Kindle purchase.
That is a "sure thing" type of gamble.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
Worthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unless you can tell us WHY the boot process is failing, nobody can tell you if this procedure will help you fix it.

If you do follow the directions to install a serial port, then the information that makes available is very likely to settle the "why" part of the question.

Translation:
You can not make any progress towards determining if it is fixable without the serial port connection.

If your not interested in gambling your time and effort, then use it as an exchange credit towards another Kindle purchase.
That is a "sure thing" type of gamble.
Oh, I already got the new Kindle. They just offered me discount no strings attached.

To be clear though, you're saying that there's at least a chance, yes? The cost for me would just be the cost of serial port (which is minimal) and perhaps a new solder iron (which I've been meaning to get anyways).

I'm not at all experienced with stuff like this, so I figure it'd be an interesting weekend project, and I don't really have anything lose.