Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the NOOKcolor brightness toggle options?
Brightness range is fine as-is. 24 80.00%
I wish Brightness could toggle lower. 5 16.67%
I wish Brightness could toggle higher. 0 0%
I haven't tested it yet. 2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Brightness

Just curious how people feel about the Brightness range on the NOOKcolor.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Lower settings would be nice.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
definitely lower. or a setting to make a real black background while reading w/o having to edit all my epubs.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
definitely lower. or a setting to make a real black background while reading w/o having to edit all my epubs.
Ditto, the night setting is nice, but I'd prefer darker (pure black). It would also be marginally more battery efficient.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
For me I can set it low enough for reading in the dark. I voted "fine as-is" but am always open to whatever options they wish to add to it.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I voted as is but if it can be adjusted to go lower via a firmware update then I would be all for it. I wouldn't use that low of a setting, I like mine with still a little bit of a punch to it, so I like just shy of 50% but if an almost completley dark screen helps out people who have very sensitive eyes then sure why not.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
For me I can set it low enough for reading in the dark. I voted "fine as-is" but am always open to whatever options they wish to add to it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
same here; finer adjustments would be good, but happy enough the way is now
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
The brightness range is fine as is, but as others have voiced, I wish the night mode was completely black instead of the not-so-dark gray.

I actually prefer a night mode that is black background with a gray text. White text on black is a bit too much contrast and hard to read for my eyes, so I do appreciate the low contrast of the gray background with the white text, but black background with gray text is my preference.

I don't understand why they don't have an option for a user defined setting. That would seem like a simple fix.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Some combinations (like the previously mentioned red-on-black) are much better for reading in total darkness. The night mode is okay (after also dropping the brightness to the minimum), but I do wish that Barnes & Noble weren't so hooked on their "artist" picked color combinations.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I voted "fine as is", albeit I should have tried it out in direct sunlight first, but since I only plan to use it at home...

I'm also fine with the night mode not being a dark black, I do wish that there was a way to adjust the font colors though, also, I certainly wouldn't object to them offering a real black night mode if they allowed the current one to still be an option.

This is my first post from my nook color, a bit awquard but still cool.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote