Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Iread
Iread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Ectaco JetBook Lite
Buy Now or Wait?

I am new to the forum and looking for my first ereader. I need to spend as little as possible. I am looking for a reader that my 10-year-old son and I could both use, possibly buying a second reader in the future if funds allow.

I would like to buy the JetBook Lite, thinking that my son would use the built-in dictionary. I am hoping that words will also translate between English and Spanish on the reader. It would be extra-nice if words would translate from Latin, Hebrew & Greek to English and vice/versa, but I don't think those languages are on the reader. I like the fact that batteries are easily interchangeable on the Lite. It is also important to me that the ink technology makes reading easy on the eyes.

We have a home school program that contains a large number of classic public domain books on CD in TIF format. I would like to be able to read those on the reader. I'm hoping Calibre will convert the files and make that possible. I could download them from other sources, but would like the original book with pictures (as is on the CD) if possible. I looked at the Astak Pocket Pro, because Astak reads TIF without converting, but there is no dictionary or foreign language on the Pocket Pro, and I think I would prefer the ink technology of the Lite.

I looked at the JetBook Mini, but that doesn't seem to have the dictionary/languages that the Lite has.

NewEgg has the Lite on sale for $99, and that includes a leather case and free shipping. Someone else posted that a few weeks ago, the same unit sold for $69 at NewEgg (minus the case, not sure about shipping). I don't know how, as I've been watching that website carefully, but I missed that sale. Now I'm looking for advice. Besides general advice about whether the Lite will perform the functions I think it will, I'd like your opinion on whether I should buy the Lite now, or wait in case the price drops again. I hope that the Lite won't be discontinued now that the Mini is being produced. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but don't want to be so frugal that I miss out on getting it altogether.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Iread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome to MR Iread!

Last year Newegg dropped the price of the JBL from $149.99 to $117.00 in mid-December. I'll be surprised if they don't have another Ectaco sale either then or Thanksgiving weekend. None of us are expecting the price to reach $69.99 again, but you never know!

I'm not familiar with TIF. I suggest that you go to calibre and find out if it handles it. I use calibre to convert LIT and LRF files to mobi or ePub for my JBL.

Considering the likelihood of a 10-year old breaking the device, I think that it is wise to go with an inexpensive unit like the JBL. I am very happy with mine.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The English<>Spanish is there on the JBL. The others no.

.tif is the TIFF (Tagged Image File Format) graphic image format and the JBL can
display it as a picture format but the book reading program won't handle it.

There are TIF/TIFF OCR programs to convert them to text that can be used in a reader
or in Calibre. But you can get most any classic PD books as eBooks from many sources
in formats that the JBL can read as ebooks with embedded pictures in some of the many
formats that the JBL supports. (The www.gutenberg.org "experimental" EPUB format
works well in that regard.)

Calibre did accept an uncompressed .tif file (using "All Files" setting in the "Add Books"
function) but it can't convert it or anything.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Given that the case sells for $20-25 and that the shipping is free, I would go for it. I had one and a fitted case would have been worth it; none were available back then.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
I just received the JBL and case I ordered last week using the special.

The case is a slip case, with a slot cut out for the battery pack, not one that opens up.
jjm6383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Iread

Thank you for your wisdom, everyone. jjm6383, I looked at photos of the case and the Lite on NewEgg's website....I can see now that the cover is used when one is not reading. I would have preferred a cover that opens and stays attached to the reader, but perhaps it would be wise to get the Lite with a protective cover (although I've seen non-leather ones for $6.00 or so). I definitely don't want to damage the screen while carrying it around, and I can imagine that it will get "knocked around" quite a bit.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There are TIF/TIFF OCR programs to convert them to text that can be used in a reader
or in Calibre.
The Document Imaging software that is part of MS Word can OCR .tif files.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Iread

or in Calibre.

The Document Imaging software that is part of MS Word can OCR .tif files.

I'm technologically illiterate, so I have to be "walked through" everything step-by-step. That's another reason why it has taken me this long to get an ereader
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iread View Post
We have a home school program that contains a large number of classic public domain books on CD in TIF format. I would like to be able to read those on the reader. I'm hoping Calibre will convert the files and make that possible. I could download them from other sources, but would like the original book with pictures (as is on the CD) if possible. I looked at the Astak Pocket Pro, because Astak reads TIF without converting, but there is no dictionary or foreign language on the Pocket Pro, and I think I would prefer the ink technology of the Lite.
Unfortunately, as mentioned TIFF is an image file format, not an ebook format. Is it really important to have the pictures after all? IMO, it would be easier to just download what you need if these are all public domain titles (there are nicely formatted files right here on this site, FYI.)
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Iread

Once I actually get the ereader in hand, I may end up doing that. I do like the old books/photos/typeset, though!

I certainly appreciate everyone's advice, and I know once I get the reader I will appreciate the efforts of those who have put the formatted books here for everyone to access.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
Unfortunately, as mentioned TIFF is an image file format, not an ebook format. Is it really important to have the pictures after all? IMO, it would be easier to just download what you need if these are all public domain titles (there are nicely formatted files right here on this site, FYI.)
If you really want to keep your editions, it is fairly easy to turn .tif files into .pdf files, which the JetBook can read.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Iread

If you really want to keep your editions, it is fairly easy to turn .tif files into .pdf files, which the JetBook can read.

That's what I'd prefer to do. I want what I'm reading to look like the original book (at least for the books from the program on CD that I mentioned above). I may not have to worry about it, as I was gifted today with finding a used Astak Pocket Pro on eBay for $56, and that reads TIF, but I'd still like the knowledge of how to do that in case I want to read those books on the JBLite.

I still hope to get a JetBook Lite (that way my son can have a reader and so can I, and we can have the language capability of the Lite), but can wait and see if I can catch an amazing sale on the Lite so that our budget isn't too dented.