blacksmith1
blacksmith1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
AZK book overwrites another one after sideloading

I have three kindle files
I have DRMed them using Calibre 3.31.0 for mac with DeDRM Tools 6.6.1
I have exported the resulting azw3 using Kindle Previewer 3.27 to AZK files
I sideload AZK files to my Kindle for iPad using iTunes
Books appears successfully on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; each book overwrites the other one. An important note is that all three books are from the same publisher
Other books from other publishers appears without any issues
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith1 View Post
I have three kindle files
I have DRMed them using Calibre 3.31.0 for mac with DeDRM Tools 6.6.1
I have exported the resulting azw3 using Kindle Previewer 3.27 to AZK files
I sideload AZK files to my Kindle for iPad using iTunes
Books appears successfully on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; each book overwrites the other one. An important note is that all three books are from the same publisher
Other books from other publishers appears without any issues
I suspect your publisher accidentally reused the metadata (OPF) from one file to the next. Have you tried renaming the files, in Calibre? Updating the meta? You really shouldn't have issues overwriting one with the next, UNLESS the iPad is viewing them as the same file, obviously. The only way I can see that happening is with either identical titles, which presumably you've already checked, or identical metadata. So that when the iPad's K4iPad software views the headers, it "sees" the same book file.

Have you checked the metadata? Popped open the OPF, to check it?

Hitch
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
blacksmith1

Dear Hitch,

Thank you so much for your reply

From inside Calibre, I clicked "Click to open" for the books. From there I open metadata.opf using text editor. All metadata for the three books are completely different. Kindly have a look at the attached screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 10.56.59 AM.png
Views:	368
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	166429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 10.58.32 AM.png
Views:	361
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	166430  
Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear Hitch,

Thank you so much for your reply

From inside Calibre, I clicked "Click to open" for the books. From there I open metadata.opf using text editor. All metadata for the three books are completely different. Kindly have a look at the attached screenshots
Well, that's weird. Presumably, the ASINs are all different, right, and the UUIDs? I'm not 100% sure how K4iOS segregates books, to be honest. As the process (create an AZK, sideload it via iTunes via Sharing, etc.) is such a bastard child, I have no real firm grip on what happens where. What I do know is that iBooks and the K4iOS app have both always had a serious caching issue, and I wonder if this is somehow related in some oddball way, even though it seems to be almost the opposite of that?

OR...I wonder if it's something that Amazon is doing, either overtly or negligiently, having to do with Calibre-built files?

What happens if you make an ePUB, from the MOBI, then build a proper MOBI file with that, using KP3, and then build the AZK? Do you have the same issue? That would be my next step, were I you. That way, you'd be "starting" with a MOBI from Amazon, effectively--NOT an AZW3 from Calibre. I suspect, although can't quite say why, that that's part of the problem.

I'd "convert" the AZW3 files to ePUB, using Calibre, drop the ePUB onto KP3, build the MOBI, and THEN build the AZK file and try it again, for all three, or at least two, to see if the overwriting continues. Amazon is not super-Calibre-friendly, and that could SOMEHOW be playing into it. I'm not even saying it's Calibre, per se; but there could be something that Amazon's intake just doesn't love about those.

Hitch
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
blacksmith1

Dear Hitch,

Hi again and thanks so much for your reply.

Quote:
What happens if you make an ePUB, from the MOBI, then build a proper MOBI file with that, using KP3, and then build the AZK? Do you have the same issue? That would be my next step, were I you. That way, you'd be "starting" with a MOBI from Amazon, effectively--NOT an AZW3 from Calibre. I suspect, although can't quite say why, that that's part of the problem.

I'd "convert" the AZW3 files to ePUB, using Calibre, drop the ePUB onto KP3, build the MOBI, and THEN build the AZK file and try it again, for all three, or at least two, to see if the overwriting continues. Amazon is not super-Calibre-friendly, and that could SOMEHOW be playing into it. I'm not even saying it's Calibre, per se; but there could be something that Amazon's intake just doesn't love about those.
Converting AZW3 file to epub using Calibre lose book formatting

What I want is to read Kindle ebooks on Kindle app for iPad

Scenario 1: Using Kindle Previewer 3.28, I convert AZW3 to mobi. Using iTunes, I sideload mobi file to my Kindle app for iPad
Result: book does not show on Kindle app for iPad

Note: converting AZW3 to mobi using Calibre or Epubor Ultimate lead to that the book shows successfully on Kindle app for iPad. Additionally, all mobi file generated by all softwares other than Kindle Previewer are sideloaded and show successfully on Kindle app for iPad

Question 1: before converting AZW3 to mobi using Kindle Previewer, is there is specific editing for AZW3 so that it can show on Kindle app for iPad

Scenario 2: Using Kindle Previewer 3.28, I convert AZW3 to azk. Using iTunes, I sideload azk file to my Kindle app for iPad
Result: book shows on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; newly sideloaded book overwrites the previously sideloaded one. Meaning that only one book shows. This applies to all books converted using Kindle Previewer version 3.28. Other books converted using Kindle Previewer earlier version (I can't remember version exactly) do show successfully

Question 2: may you please help in getting an older version of Kindle Previewer? For example 3.21 or earlier

Thank you very much
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Dear Hitch,

Hi again and thanks so much for your reply.

Converting AZW3 file to epub using Calibre lose book formatting
Firstly, although I'm not a huge proponent of using Calibre for formatting, that most certainly should not occur. Calibre does a relatively decent job of retaining the formatting from one format to the other. If you had an ePUB, it would be relatively simple, I'd think, to generate the AZK files that you need.

Quote:
What I want is to read Kindle ebooks on Kindle app for iPad
Yes, I understand that. Is it silly of me to ask why you don't just download the iOS-compatible versions from Amazon?????? Instead of this goat-rope?

Quote:
Scenario 1: Using Kindle Previewer 3.28, I convert AZW3 to mobi. Using iTunes, I sideload mobi file to my Kindle app for iPad
Well, I'm not sure why it won't display, in k4iOS; my clients manage to do this all the time, putting a mobi on an iOS device, which means that they don't get the 'best" display, but the file is definitely THERE. You must be doing something wrong. Have you simply emailed the MOBI to yourself at your iPad email address, and then used "open with?" That should work, if all you want to do is read the book on your iPad. If you're acutely sensitive to the formatting, then you're going to want the AZK version, of course.

Quote:
Note: converting AZW3 to mobi using Calibre or Epubor Ultimate lead to that the book shows successfully on Kindle app for iPad. Additionally, all mobi file generated by all softwares other than Kindle Previewer are sideloaded and show successfully on Kindle app for iPad
OK, so...then what's the problem? If you're seeing that on K4iOS?

Quote:
Question 1: before converting AZW3 to mobi using Kindle Previewer, is there is specific editing for AZW3 so that it can show on Kindle app for iPad
No. You can take pretty much any mobi file and convert it to AZK. There's no pre-coding needed that's special for AZK. It's converted by KP3.xx.

Quote:
Scenario 2: Using Kindle Previewer 3.28, I convert AZW3 to azk. Using iTunes, I sideload azk file to my Kindle app for iPad
Result: book shows on Kindle for iPad but with one problem; newly sideloaded book overwrites the previously sideloaded one. Meaning that only one book shows. This applies to all books converted using Kindle Previewer version 3.28. Other books converted using Kindle Previewer earlier version (I can't remember version exactly) do show successfully
Why don't you email Preveiwer support? WITHOUT all the other information, about DRM, your source file, and so forth? Just tell them what you're telling us--that your AZKs are overwriting each other?

Quote:
Question 2: may you please help in getting an older version of Kindle Previewer? For example 3.21 or earlier
Well, if you want to send me a file, I can make an AZK file for you with an older version, but I suspect that there's something else amiss.

Quote:
Thank you very much
Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
The Kindle Previewer will display azw3 files, but it does not support them fully since azw3 is not a publishing format and KPR is meant as a tool for publishers.

KPR does not convert from azw3 to mobi. All it does is change the file extension when you export the file.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
blacksmith1

Thanks Hitch for your time and your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Calibre does a relatively decent job of retaining the formatting from one format to the other. If you had an ePUB, it would be relatively simple, I'd think, to generate the AZK files that you need.
I don't have ePUB. I have original untouched DRM Kindle files

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. Is it silly of me to ask why you don't just download the iOS-compatible versions from Amazon?????? Instead of this goat-rope?
I don't have access to books' files from Amazon. I have original untouched DRM Kindle files that are not purchased by me. I get them somewhere online

Quote:
Have you simply emailed the MOBI to yourself at your iPad email address, and then used "open with?" That should work, if all you want to do is read the book on your iPad. If you're acutely sensitive to the formatting, then you're going to want the AZK version, of course
After exporting the book from Kindle Previewer to mobi file, yes, I emailed the mobi file to my iPad email address. Selecting "open with" open the "send to" window that deliver the file to my Kindle account. And of course it will not be delivered to Kindle app for iPad because of the DRM issues. mobi file stays for few days in the Pending Deliveries : Queued For Delivery folder in my Amazon Kindle account then be deleted

Quote:
If you're acutely sensitive to the formatting, then you're going to want the AZK version, of course
Kindle Previewer export mobi file that is exactly formatted like the original. I can open exported mobi file on Kindle for Mac

Quote:
OK, so...then what's the problem? If you're seeing that on K4iOS?
The problem is that exporting AZW3 to mobi using Calibre or Epubor Ultimate leads to books' formatting are lost. Most of above books are for kids that include image

Quote:
Why don't you email Preveiwer support? WITHOUT all the other information, about DRM, your source file, and so forth? Just tell them what you're telling us--that your AZKs are overwriting each other
Because I'm confident that people like you are pretty most helpful than any official support. However, I will do as per your advice

Quote:
Well, if you want to send me a file, I can make an AZK file for you with an older version, but I suspect that there's something else amiss.
Thank you very much, it will be my all pleasure. I will upload it somewhere then send you its link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Kindle Previewer will display azw3 files, but it does not support them fully since azw3 is not a publishing format and KPR is meant as a tool for publishers.
Thanks jhowell for your time and your reply

From my very little experience (of course it's nothing compared to yours) Kindle Previewer export mobi files that is exactly formatted like the original. I can see exported mobi file on Kindle for Mac and -before current problem- see azk file on Kindle for iPad. They are excellent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.04.27 PM.png
Views:	617
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	167502  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't have access to books' files from Amazon. I have original untouched DRM Kindle files that are not purchased by me. I get them somewhere online
And this is where the conversation gets shut down. We do not allow Mobileread to be used to help with piracy. If these are not your purchased and deDRMed books, you will receive no help with manipulating them.

Moderator Notice
If you mention downloading books "not purchased by you" from "somewhere online" again, you will be banned. Consider this your only warning on the subject.
Closed Thread