Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Wizard's First Rule - Need similar recommendations

I need a good first fantasy book for my new kindle . I enjoyed the first Sword of Truth novel a while back. I'd read the rest of the series but they're not available on Kindle.

This should be easy since I'm not a big reader. There are many well known fantasy books I have not read yet.

Other fantasy books I've enjoyed: The Dark Elf Trilogy, A Game of Thrones, Dragonlance series.

Thank you for your help!
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Similar to Goodkind.

Robert Jordans Eye of the World, the first of the Wheel of Time series. That's the first thing I thought of and I checked to see it was kindlerízed.

You can keep an eye out for Vol 1 (Rhapsody) of Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series - they have Vol 2 in Kindle but... for some unknown reason, not Vol 1.

Robin Hobb's The Farsee trilogy starting with Assassin's Apprentice.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-03-2010 at 06:16 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Yes indeed - I second The Eye of the World (first book of the Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan - this one will keep you going for a while as there are twelve currently published books (the first nine or ten currently in ebook format, with the rest coming soon), and book thirteen due to be published in November (and the final book November next year).

Another suggestion could be Trudi Canavan's Black magician series, which I think is available for Kindle. Or The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon (three in one, available from Baen in Mobi format for, I think, $5).
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Look at there: http://forum.paticik.com/read.php?16,2917340

Explanations I wrote are in Turkish but every book has a link to english version of wikipedia linked to its name.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
If you have read The dark elf trilogy you might also want to try one of his other trilogy's like icewind dale , or hunters blade trilogy or
you might want to try memory sorrow & thorn by Tad Williams
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
You might like C S Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy or the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Try "Magician", by Raymond E. Feist. It's a classic.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
If you have read The dark elf trilogy you might also want to try one of his other trilogy's like icewind dale , or hunters blade trilogy or
you might want to try memory sorrow & thorn by Tad Williams

seconded .... I hope to get e versions sometime when I can get it at a sensible price and not georestricted.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Try "Magician", by Raymond E. Feist. It's a classic.
Alas, not available as an (official) ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Alas, not available as an (official) ebook.
That is too bad, and explains why I could not find any ebooks in this series. I thought my 10-year old son would enjoy them.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Actually I would recommend the rest of that series; I have it all as ebooks and the 11 or so volume set was magnificent! Plus while this novel was self-contained story-wise, some of the later books in the series were like 600 pages each and you needed them all to get the whole story. The upside of having these novels is that you find out what a mess Sam Raimi did with the Legend of the Seeker TV series.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I would not recommend the rest of the series (or not all of the books at least) - it doesn't stand to the first book quality.
Wheel of time is what op is looking for.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Thank you for all your suggestions, some of them I never heard of . I put the first Wheel of Time on my wishlist. The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books by Tad Williams also look interesting and have good reviews.

For some reason I stumbled on Blackbringer by Laini Taylor which seemed interesting to me, so I bought that first.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
Yes indeed - I second The Eye of the World (first book of the Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan - this one will keep you going for a while as there are twelve currently published books (the first nine or ten currently in ebook format, with the rest coming soon), and book thirteen due to be published in November (and the final book November next year).
Be forwarned,these books start off well and just fizzle. You may not make it through the whole series.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
How about the real fantasy classics?:

David Eddings' Belgariad? Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit? C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia? Dragonlance is up there too, IMO. Have you read them all? Legends, Heroes, etc.?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote