Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Is it possible to Backgrade Firmware version /software

Hi all, long time no visit here

Does anybody know if it is possible to downgrade the PRS-T3 firmware to a version before 1.1.01.17210 the Kobo upgrade.

I have been having problems with battery life, (changed the battery not that), and it seems to have started with the Kobo firmware upgrade.

I have heard of others with this problem but seen no solution.

Thanks,
Rog

Last edited by roger the rabbit; 09-22-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

? anybody ?
Advert
Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
If you go to Sony's support page for the T3 you can get version 1.1.00.15210 but that still says it includes the Kobo store. You might have to pretend you are from Canada or the UK etc.

I know it's a cliche, but have you tried completely resetting your device?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I did a complete reset of my reader a while back for a different problem. The reset didn't change the software version - I still have the version with the direct link to the Kobo store.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
If you go to Sony's support page for the T3 you can get version 1.1.00.15210 but that still says it includes the Kobo store. You might have to pretend you are from Canada or the UK etc.

I know it's a cliche, but have you tried completely resetting your device?
Thanks for that radius.

Yup! I tried everything - WiFi off, WiFi forgotten, soft reset, hard factory reset, full format, left overnight with battery removed to totally drain. New battery. Absolutely nothing helped. Both existing and replacement batteries checked 100% perfect with a digital charger.

Asked Sony for help - NO response! as seems to be the limit of their customer service these days, used to be the best. No more Sony electronic products for me!

When I checked the Sony.com support site it did not list the T3 in supported products. After your post, doing a search from the home page said it was only supported in Canada & UK. I bought mine in Spain!

Going to the Canada page and selecting my operating system as Win10, gave only an update to the reader for PC desktop software, not the T3 firmware. Changing to win XP shows me the 1.1.00.15210 link. Which I fully expect is the same as the 1.1.01.17210 but instead just links to the Canada Kobo site. The UK site offers 1.1.01.17210.

The PC updater software will not let you re-install firmware. Just saying "You already have the latest version" no option to install / refresh anyway. Presumably it will do the same if you try to install an earlier version.

I really like my T3, but having to remember to charge it every day is a pain in the ar$e. More so when away from home.

Sony astronomically sucks! It has gone from one of the best in the world to the worst.
Advert
Old 09-24-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
roger the rabbit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I did a complete reset of my reader a while back for a different problem. The reset didn't change the software version - I still have the version with the direct link to the Kobo store.
Do you also have the battery life problem 4691mls ?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, I haven't noticed any significant change in battery life. I've always had to charge it every few days - I usually read a few hours a day, so I was never going to be one of those people who could go weeks between charges.

I had to reset my reader because it got screwed up somehow (It started after I tried to open a book too quickly after syncing with my PC, before the reader had finished processing) and my books would no longer sort properly, it was driving me nuts so I did a reset and resynced all the books from my computer. I just figured that since you were asking for a version downgrade and someone suggested you try a reset, I'd save you the time and let you know that the reset didn't cause a downgrade.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
The PC updater software will not let you re-install firmware. Just saying "You already have the latest version" no option to install / refresh anyway. Presumably it will do the same if you try to install an earlier version.
We linux users never had a program for installing the firmware for the T1. Someone figured out how to do the installation by hand (by expanding the self-installing zip file and copying one of the files onto the device via USB). Search for those posts describing that in this forum. It may be that you can do the same thing with the T3 firmware. I don't know if the on-device installation will proceed with an older version, but at least you won't be stopped by the PC software.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #9
roger the rabbit
Addict

Thanks rkomar.
I'm getting to the point where I will just get a, (probably Kobo), replacement for it.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a read of the following thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276109
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
My T3 runs 1.1.00.15210 and that includes the Kobo bookstore. I get no battery drain at all. In fact, I picked up my T3 this morning. It'd been off for a good 6 weeks so had shut itself down. When it booted up, still had a full battery charge.

I'm sure my Nook HD (and the HD+) that I haven't turned on in a couple of weeks both have dead batteries.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #12
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I just figured that since you were asking for a version downgrade and someone suggested you try a reset, I'd save you the time and let you know that the reset didn't cause a downgrade.
Ah, I see. That wasn't the reason I suggested a reset. I was thinking that maybe there was a bad book, bad links, or bad database etc. that was causing the reader to chase it's own tail and burn up CPU time (ie: power).

As an aside, my personal T3 says it's on version 1.1.00.15210 and I can never remember the last time I charged because it was long enough ago.

Hmmm... now that I think of it, I don't use an SD card. I wonder if that has any effect? I know that on some Android phones there have been bad software loads that caused extra power consumption with SD installed.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, remove all the books. I have read of some books causing problems with Sony & Amazon. It's usually a book that has something wrong with it like it won't pass validation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
With my other Sonys, I've had issues with a bad book on there too causing issues. As soon as you remove it, problem goes away. I've never used an SD card in any of my ereaders.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

I just remembered that a couple years ago my T1 suddenly started discharging much faster than usual. Once I finished reading the most recent books I had bought or borrowed from Overdrive and deleted or returned them, the T1 returned to normal.