Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #16
AgCOtter
AgCOtter began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SM-T 580
Good Evening,

I am not able to install 5.0.1. at this time. I started the first install and after checking the permission box and the install box the process started. Started to copy new files and then stopped, displaying the message on the right. When all is said and done the message on the right pops up.

I have deleted the program Calibre, uninstalled C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2\ and attempted to reinstall calibre. I have rebooted after the second attempt to reinstall and I get the same message. I would appreciate any suggestions. Please let me know what information I need to provide to assist in clearing up this matter.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32.0 GB Installed RAM
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro
Version 2004
OS Build 19041.058
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.310

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-25 182908.png
Views:	78
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	182203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-25 181357.png
Views:	99
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	182204  
AgCOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I had the same issue again upgrading from 5.0 to 5.01. 'Launch calibre' after install fails with the error message above, afterwards it works fine.

The 5.x MSIs have some weird issue.
I have absolutely no clue what that could be. The MSI generation code has absolutely no changes between 4.x and 5.x.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@AgCotter: Disable/uninstall powertoys
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #19
Immelmann67
Immelmann67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Kovid,

I'm running Zorin Linux, and have been on Calibre 4.x. I missed the jump to 5.0, but when I upgraded to 5.0.1 and tried running it, I got the following error message:
Quote:
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted
I tried re-installing, but had no joy- I still got the same error message.

Any ideas?
Immelmann67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Immelman you are missing one of Qt's dependencies, probably libxcb-xinerama0
Advert
Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #21
Immelmann67

Thank you for the quick response- I'll have a go at that. It wasn't necessary before- is it a new addition?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann67 View Post
Thank you for the quick response- I'll have a go at that. It wasn't necessary before- is it a new addition?
Not to calibre, but to Qt which was also updated as part of calibre 5.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #23
Immelmann67

Well, the suggestion worked, so I'm back up and running. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
AgCOtter
AgCOtter began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SM-T 580
Good Morning,

Appreciate your response to my issue. I removed power toys and ran the install. I got the attached message from the process. So I followed your original instructions of:

"Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
don't worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings."

I added a reboot just for good measure, and success
You guys and gals rock.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-26 112625.png
Views:	83
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	182227  
AgCOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #25
brockmajor
brockmajor began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Smile Calibre 5.0.1 will not complete install

Tried installing on win 10 enterprise and it failed,
exited power toys, then install succeeded
brockmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just dump the awful PowerToys. Don't just exit. But delete them and never look back.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:57 AM   #27
Snodgrass
Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, nook
Brilliant. 5.0.1 cured the problem.

Thank you muchly.
Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just dump the awful PowerToys. Don't just exit. But delete them and never look back.
Err...but why? The PowerToys are useful.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
They may be useful but some of the side effects are a total PITA. I play with them in a VM (currently 0.23.0 is installed). The only, to me, really useful toy is the Rename utility. PT Run may no longer interfere with installs but still crashes far too often for my liking. FancyZones, Keyboard Manager, etc. are meh. The Video Conference utility which sounded interesting due to the amount of time I'm spending in them these days has been put off again. The version in the beta 0.22.0 was not ready for prime time though what it did to Teams was fun for certain peculiar senses of humour's definition of fun.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Way back when in the early days of PowerToys, they were useful. Now they just get in the way and cause all kinds of problems.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote