Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-05-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Question Add a book/epub to an empty book?

Hi all,
I have taken to creating empty books for book series that I want to read through but don't have at the moment. The idea is to know which ordewr to buy them and to add them as I purchase them.
Is there a way to add a book (in any format) to an existing empty book?
At the moment I just add the new file as a new book, delete the old/empty one and edit the new one appropriately.
However, sometime I edit the metadata of the blank book before I have the actual book so it would be good if I could just import the new file into the existing book.
Is there a way to do this?
Alternatively is there a way to transfer all metadat from one file to another?
Best wishes
Clive
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Edit Metadata > Add formats to this book (see screenshot).

Also you can transfer metadata from one book to another by using the merge feature. (Edit Metadata > Merge book records)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	77
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	188536  

Last edited by capink; 08-05-2021 at 07:16 AM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can also use drag-and-drop into the formats area which I find more convenient than using the Add Formats button.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can even drop it into the Deails Pand on the main Library view.
JUST be sure you have the correct book selected, there are no checks
Note: if the format exists, it will be replaced
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Also you can transfer metadata from one book to another by using the merge feature. (Edit Metadata > Merge book records)
You can also copy metadata from one book to one or more other books via the Edit metadata->Copy metadata and Edit metadata->Paste metadata actions. There's a tweak to control which columns get pasted, and of you've not used them for something else, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V can be assigned to them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #6
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
for all the input folks. A Lot easier than I thought. Can't believe I couldn't find most of that myself
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote