Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Father's Day

Tomorrow is Father's Day, at least here in the US. A day where fathers everywhere are celebrted by being made to cook out of doors.

What did all you fathers get?

I got myself a book on sailing and plan to go lust over a 20 footer that is sitting at a marina for sale tomorrow.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I got myself a book on sailing and plan to go lust over a 20 footer that is sitting at a marina for sale tomorrow.
Wait... Isn't father's day where children give their father a small present? Then why are you buying something for yourself!

These days Father's Day and Mother's Day is only a commercial thing. I remember when I was small, we bought something for our parents, something small (my father never appreciated the tiles we got him, which is why he always got them... hmm, maybe that's the reason I've not spoken to him for 10 years...). But I've seen commercials for gifts over €200 for father's day... No kid could afford that... (the same for mother's day btw)

In short, no, I don't do "Mother's Day", nor "Father's Day". I'm nice to my mother all days of the year.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Because the ungrateful little bastiches are all unemployed and so I have to buy my own!

Actually, we really don't celebrate much other than maybe a card from the kids. I just indulge myself whenever I feel like it...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Pshrynk! I can't beleive you beat me to it! I wanted to wake up early tomorrow morning and make a Father's day thread, to wish a happy Father's Day to my dad!!!
So, as I have no choice now, I'll hijack yours for my dad!

Happy father's Day dad! I love you!

You have always been there for me, and it's something I'm really greatful for.
You are a wise man, but a dreamer still, and I admire you for keeping the ability to imagine better places, to find solutions for every problem, small or large.
You made me discover the power lying within words, you gave me curiosity and imagination, you instilled in me respect and love for the others.
You made me the person I am today - so don't complain, it's your fault!

I love you dad, you are a wonderful man.

And I would also like to wish a happy Father's day to all those wonderful dad's on MR, who give their fatherly advices freely and wisely, and to those young dads discovering the joys of parenting, and also to those proud and loving grandfathers.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Every year my kids make me these Hand Molds. It's a nice thing to remember the good ol days. They also usually clean my car for me, inside and out. I hope they remember to do it this year as it is a real mess!
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
well, for Mother's Day, I got a very interesting breakfast in bed (daddy had bought an assortment of frozen things so the kids could make me something while he slept in). After I ate, my "gift" was that I would stay in bed and read and play on the computer whilst the family cleaned the house.

After a half day of lounging, I went out and found..... my husband asleep on a pile of clean laundry (that I had done the night before), and everything even messier than I had left it the night before. *sigh*

I cleaned the house yesterday (a lot of work!) and so we're taking dad out to the movies (Ice Age ) and we got him a bolo tie like the one he used to have. We'll also make him breakfast in bed (with real eggs, none of that frozen stuff). Then we'll go to dinner, probably Outback, since he likes that place. He took me someplace I didn't choose, because they had a "moms eat free" deal.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'm always a little sad on Father's Day. I am not very close with my father. He and my mom divorced when I was very young, and he was not that involved in my life and became less involved the older I got. I have come to accept that he has some limitations as a person, and some baggage from his really dysfunctional family, that have just made him completely incapable of relating to me in the way my mom does, and I take him as he is, am polite when I see him and have learned to stop accepting much from him. But it still makes me sad from time to time (especially times like this) that I will never have the father/daughter relationship I might have wanted.

This year is especially hard because my half-sister, who is a bit of a brat and a lot of a drama queen, has been mad at me about something which is totally not her business, and in the last few emails we had, she told me that perhaps it would be best if I not come over to Dad's house anymore. I put my foot down and insisted she talk to him before she disinvites me (she lives there, but she's 22 and has her own life so she is more than capable of removing herself if she can't be civil to me the 8 times or so per year that I am over there) and she was contrite. But when I spoke to Dad to see about plans for tomorrow, he on the one hand said I am right and she shouldn't say that to me but on the other hand suggested that we meet at a coffee shop. So I'm not completely sure what to make of it, but it stings that, push coming to shove, he'll capitulate to her instead of for once in his life sticking up for me.

I do have a wonderful stepmother. He treats me mother wonderfully and has been there for me in little day to day ways that my real father has not e.g. coming over to hang pictures for me when I move, picking up jumbo packs of paper products and laundry soap for me at Costco because I don't drive and it's hard for me to buy that stuff on my own and just all the little things I can't count on my father for. He and I don't have similar interests or anything much in common besides him being married to my mother, but he is a decent guy and I have come to really love his solid, satble presence in my life.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Then, Ficbot, I think you need to spend more time with him, since he's the real father figure in your life. Sometimes, we need to choose ourselves what our family really is, and be grateful for the people that are really there for us...and if your father wants to see you in a coffee shop and give in to your sister, let him at least pay!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I wanted also to add my Best Wishes on Father's Day to all of the MR dads out there!
Good or bad, if we didn't have a dad, we wouldn't be here!
Happy Father's Day! I hope it's a good one!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I do have a wonderful stepmother. He treats me mother wonderfully and has been there for me in little day to day ways that my real father has not e.g. coming over to hang pictures for me when I move, picking up jumbo packs of paper products and laundry soap for me at Costco because I don't drive and it's hard for me to buy that stuff on my own and just all the little things I can't count on my father for. He and I don't have similar interests or anything much in common besides him being married to my mother, but he is a decent guy and I have come to really love his solid, satble presence in my life.
I think you meant to say "stepfather".

This morning's CBS News Sunday Morning featured a spot by Anthony Mason pointing out that Father's Day is definitely for stepfathers as well as natural fathers. You can read the essay at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5101102.shtml It appears that they didn't post the video.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
We celebrated Father's Day last weekend because we couldn't all go and see my dad today!

I can understand the people who think that Father's Day, and Mother's Day, are really commercial, but for us it's an excuse to do something for our parents - if there isn't a "reason" for us to do something for them they kind of try to stop us, and tell us to keep our money or not worry about it. Father's Day makes it easier for my dad to accept us doing things for him, so we all enjoy it. It also encourages the whole family to get together for the day, which as we don't live very close to each other is always a good thing.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
We just finished serving daddy the obligatory breakfast in bed. I never make it greasy enough for him. Eggs (over easy... which I always mess up because yolk always wants to crack!), hashbrowns (which I cook too dry), sausages (previously frozen, just heated 'em up), an orange (which I managed to cut nicely), water (we had no juice, hence the orange-- he can make his own!), and toast (which the kids cooked). He loves his breakfast undercooked, greasy with oil. I like mine well cooked and dry-ish. I can never managed to cook his the way he likes it, try as I may. I think he must use half a gallon of vegetable oil when he cooks, and I just *cannot* make myself do that!

Do you do/get breakfast in bed? What types of things are traditional? (sometimes I do pancakes, but not usually).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Tomorrow is Father's Day, at least here in the US. A day where fathers everywhere are celebrted by being made to cook out of doors.
I seem to recall doing a LOT of cooking on Mother's Day, probably more than on typical days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post

You are a wise man, but a dreamer still, and I admire you for keeping the ability to imagine better places, to find solutions for every problem, small or large.
You made me discover the power lying within words, you gave me curiosity and imagination, you instilled in me respect and love for the others.

That is beautiful! Your dad is a blessed man!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Pshrynk! I can't beleive you beat me to it! I wanted to wake up early tomorrow morning and make a Father's day thread, to wish a happy Father's Day to my dad!!!
So, as I have no choice now, I'll hijack yours for my dad!

And I would also like to wish a happy Father's day to all those wonderful dad's on MR, who give their fatherly advices freely and wisely, and to those young dads discovering the joys of parenting, and also to those proud and loving grandfathers.
Well!... erm...hahum...
:ballinthethroat: I love you too Cat!
You know, when I get angry with you, it's because you're doing every thing that I did and swore my kids will not do... it's a failure feeling.
Those experiences are the blocks that build a solid person, and that is what you are now.

But you have some of your mother's traits like caring more about others than yourself... I just wish better things came to you more often.

Thank you!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Verencat
Wizard

This year again, dad, let me wish you a very happy Father's Day! I love you!

Oh, and be sure to go pick up the mail tomorrow