Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Convert Kindle book into ePub with Linux & Android (no Mac/Windows/Kindle device)

I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon desktop). I don't have Windows or Mac. I access my Kindle books either on the Amazon Kindle app on my Samsung Android phone (Amazon Kindle app) or on my laptop Firefox browser pointed to the Kindle Cloud Reader (read.amazon.com) . I don't have a physical Kindle device.

With the hardware I have, can I convert my Kindle ebooks into ePub? Can Calibre do the job?

Last edited by droopy; 02-14-2019 at 07:21 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Try installing an older version of Kindle for Desktop (1.17) with WINE?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon desktop). I don't have Windows or Mac. I access my Kindle books either on the Kindle Cloud Reader (read.amazon.com) . I don't have a Kindle e-reader.

With the hardware I have, can I convert my Kindle ebooks into ePub? Can Calibre do the job?
Calibre under Linux can do the job. Use the installer from Kovid's site at Download for Linux to avoid pain. All too many Linux distributions have munged calibre installers.

To get the books into calibre from Amazon, the easiest way would be to download them for USB using the Download and Transfer for USB option.

And check out Apprentice Alf/Apprentice Harper for your DRM removal needs.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Calibre under Linux can do the job. Use the installer from Kovid's site at Download for Linux to avoid pain. All too many Linux distributions have munged calibre installers.
I love your profile picture... a happy bookworm!

Thank you for your reply. On Linux Mint, I installed Calibre from the Linux Mint repository (synaptic) and it seems to work fine (in terms of importing my ePubs). Do you still suggest I re-install Calibre, but this time using the installer from Kovid's site?

Quote:
To get the books into calibre from Amazon, the easiest way would be to download them for USB using the Download and Transfer for USB option.
Download them from where? From the Amazon Kindle app on my Samsung Android phone? Or from the Kindle Cloud Reader on my laptop Firefox browser? Please don't forget I don't have a physical Kindle device.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That option is available only to the owners of a physical Kindle device. An older version of Kindle for PC seems to be the OP's only option, as Ilovejedd said.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
I love your profile picture... a happy bookworm!
Thanks.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. On Linux Mint, I installed Calibre from the Linux Mint repository (synaptic) and it seems to work fine (in terms of importing my ePubs). Do you still suggest I re-install Calibre, but this time using the installer from Kovid's site?
If it is working for you, I wouldn't bother. My Linux installs are on VMs and I've had several issues installing calibre and Sigil from the distributions.

Quote:
Download them from where? From the Amazon Kindle app on my Samsung Android phone? Or from the Kindle Cloud Reader on my laptop Firefox browser? Please don't forget I don't have a physical Kindle device.
Sorry about that. At one point, I seem to remember that Kindle downloads were stored under Android as a .prc file however I'm not sure if they are decryptable.

I'm tempted to suggest doing the opposite of my running Linux and Mac VMs under Windows and install a Windows VM under Linux. Install the Kindle app (version 1.24 or earlier), download and have fun.

Another alternative would be to pick up a used Kindle ereader and register it so you can use it's serial number. if nothing else, browsing the prices some people ask for old ereaders is good for a chuckle.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Some of the linux distribubors have long lags on their calibre releases, which can mean you can't install plugins that require later releases. And as a general rule you'll get better support if you're running the version from the calibre downloads page.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
droopy
Guru

Okay, folks, I was able to run KindleForPC version 1.17.1 (441833) ["Last updated: 2/16/2019"] to run on my Linux. I successfully logged into my amazon account and see my Kindle books. Could someone kindly tell me what the next step is.

I'm guessing the next step is to find where the Kindle books are residing on my Linux laptop, right? If so, I went to KindleForPC's preferences/settings and see this:
https://i.imgur.com/2pzgZI5.png

C:/users/droopy/My Documents\My Kindle Content

On my Linux, I found an AZW file of a book I double-clicked in

/home/droopy/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/KindleForPC/drive_c/users/droopy/My Documents/My Kindle Content/ .

They also have a "parallel location" at /home/droopy/Documents/My Kindle Content/

Awesome.
So now what's the next step? So excited

Last edited by droopy; 02-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just add the book to Calibre (after installing Alf's tools, of course) and then convert it to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
MobileRead does not allow detailed instructions for DRM-removal. Only general questions and descriptions are allowed. A post has been deleted. Please take such comments to Apprentice Alf's blog.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #11
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
MobileRead does not allow detailed instructions for DRM-removal. Only general questions and descriptions are allowed. A post has been deleted. Please take such comments to Apprentice Alf's blog.
Dear IssyBird, I apologize for breaking the rule. I'll be careful not to do so in the future.

Would any moderator or fellow MobileRead forum posters y have a copy of the text that I wrote before it was deleted? I wrote so much and to write it all from scratch is a lot.

If someone can private message me a copy of what I wrote (my final edit), I'd appreciate it.