Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Sarmat
Enthusiast
Sarmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Author Rating

is it possible to give a rating to the author?
or use this rating which Calibre makes automatically
but with the functions of:
sorting by this rating
showing only 5-stars authors and so on

it would be so nice if we could create a custom column in Authors List

Last edited by Sarmat; 12-14-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Sarmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Moved to separate thread - please don't post tangential questions in old threads

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can sort the authors in the tag browser by average rating if you want. Preferences->Look & feel->tag browser.

But other than that, no.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
Sarmat
Enthusiast

I tried every option in Preferences->Look & feel->tag browser.
But i didn't find a way to sort Authors by rating.

The upper option is the most evident option for this but all three choices there doesnt work.

Last edited by Sarmat; 12-14-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Besides it's just a half-solution.

So if you allow me to make a feature request for future:
Author rating column (in the list of authors) would be very nice
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat View Post
Besides it's just a half-solution.

So if you allow me to make a feature request for future:
Author rating column (in the list of authors) would be very nice
Have you tried Tab Browser sidebar->Configure Button (bottom left)->Sort by->Average rating.

BR
Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have you tried Tab Browser sidebar->Configure Button (bottom left)->Sort by->Average rating.

BR
Thanks for this information, BetterRed
It COULD be the answer to my request
but smth strange is going on

it is completely unusable in my case
what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Oh, I've got it
I had "Partitioned" in preferenced of tag browser

Nope, it's still the same after I change the option back to Sort by first letter
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Sarmat
Enthusiast

Ok , it seems I got it.
For sure this time

Max number of entries in a partition in this case is 300
(it depends on yr preferences of tag browser - you can see that in my first picture)
thats why calibre created 3 partitions
last two are with no rating
first one has ALL ratings
the only way to see them visually (except tooltip) is by looking at the head and shoulders figure left to the author name

it's not really the best solution

Last edited by Sarmat; 12-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Glad you got something. I partition by 1st letter, and I don't use ratings at all

It's probably as good as you're going to get. AFAIK adding custom columns to the Author's table is a pretty big ask - if it were otherwise it would have been done by now. And if it were to be done, one would probably want to do it for the other entities - Series, Publisher, Tags etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Glad you got something. I partition by 1st letter, and I don't use ratings at all

It's probably as good as you're going to get. AFAIK adding custom columns to the Author's table is a pretty big ask - if it were otherwise it would have been done by now. And if it were to be done, one would probably want to do it for the other entities - Series, Publisher, Tags etc.

BR
I know I have wished for this. I have dabbled (ParadoxDOS) with relational datasets. and the individual tables are the more proper place for 1 to 1 relations.
But I understand that the Magic of custom columns (and incorporating those into the Flatfile view) is sheer genius, allowing the base Calibre code to remain universal.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote