Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
KOReader generally automatically zooms and crops in the most optimal fashion, hence making that unnecessary. When it doesn't, it's still very easy to crop manually. I find this much more useful overall than zooming and panning more smoothly, especially when it's once versus every page. Incidentally, KOReader scrolls fairly smoothly, see here. In practice you normally just don't scroll though, because there's simply no point to it. You can also see how it autocrops that particular document perfectly, which is par for the course in the documents I read.

On my desktop I can easily affect similar cropping, but on a tablet or phone type OS it's all very limited at worst and very difficult at best. Additionally, the lack of page down on my phone and having to scroll by necessity rather annoys me. Bubble is pretty much the only app I actually appreciate because of the intelligent way it zooms and deals with pages.

My point is primarily that, at least for me, a tablet is a redundant, inferior version of stuff I already otherwise already own (and need!) for other things. An E Ink device is not redundant because it brings a different type of technology to the table even if it is more limited in many ways. Of course that's entirely the manufacturer's choice. You can clearly see that in principle the display is capable of much more. See, e.g., games on a Nook from 5+ years ago and another Nook. Clearly the rest of the hardware is a much more limiting factor than the E Ink display technology.

If I felt wasteful I'd get a tablet as well, but only one that clearly offered me something extra, like being able to draw on it properly. As it is I already have that from my regular, much cheaper Wacom tablet that's "only" good as a computer input device. (Although for all I know it can be used on Android and iPad with Bluetooth or something, but that aside. :P)

A 10" E Ink device would be great, but for me the existing ones that I've seen (and that are affordable) are pretty useless resolution-wise. Although I don't like iPads much in general, I'd definitely much rather get an iPad Pro or some such, in spite of the backlit screen, which has a roughly comparable PPI to my H2O.
I just want to address your tablet is redundant.
I have a laptop. I have a small smart phone. I also own a tablet. It is used more often than the other two.
Better for PDF, especially manuals, portable (great for recipes, takes up less room in the kitchen), for lists much easier to read than a smart phone. Not to mention apps which laptops and ereaders usually don't have.
Oh and if I am cataloging, I can use the microphone feature instead of typing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You don't have to (and really shouldn't) quote an entire post to address one aspect of it.

I think that I've already covered it all by "at least for me" and I'm sure everyone can make out for themselves if the same principles apply to them. I've also never seen a tablet on which the backlight can go as comfortably low as on my ASUS Zenbook UX305C. But if I were spending €500+ I'd rather buy, say, good headphones or an expensive GPU (if we're keeping it in the realm of electronics). Those things could very well be entirely redundant for you.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #18
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
I read alot of Pdfs on my inkbook with Koreader. Without it, it is plain painful to read pdfs on an ereader device for sure. I do not read technical documents, mostly fiction, history etc but it works. Koreder makes it possible and more than half the times , the reflow function works beautifully. If not I use it in landscape mode which gives good enough screen space.

For technical documents my 6" reader is not enough, I use a 12" tablet for that. You can grab those Samsung 2014 12.2 Notes (which is what I have) for 200+ from Ebay. It also comes with a pressure sensitive stylus so it is just awesome for annotation and drawing. I even installed Android 7 on it.

Samsung just came up with S3 tab which has Amoled so I am really saving money to get that one for being able to read techy docs, magazines etc at night.

Last edited by loviedovie; 08-21-2017 at 11:07 PM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I frequently read pdfs on e-readers on a Boyue and an Onyx. Onyx Oreader is excellent for reading pdfs in landscape. I would rather read a pdf this way than on a tablet. A 6" e-ink device is fine for reading in landscape. A 6.8" is a little nicer, but not essential. But the right software is the key to making it a good experience. With Oreader I don't need to pan or reflow and can read scans or text pdfs. I don't need to scroll. I do next page like I would with an epub. It's a remarkable peice of software. It's based on alreader and is an excellent epub/mobo/etc reader too.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 08-21-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote