Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepau View Post
If it doesn't connect to Google, that would be one of THE reasons for me to buy it!
I have always kept my Onyx devices always offline, never had a problem.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #17
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Great!
If it doesn't connect to Google, that would be one of THE reasons for me to buy it!
you can deactivate google services at wish, in fact, the devices comes with it deactivated by default and you need to enable it on the options
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #18
general_public
general_public began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note+
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a Boox Note. I'm getting it because normal lcd gives me headache, would you think the glass is more straining to read on the plus?

Thanks!!
general_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Great!
While that's true out of the box you can make it talk to Google, it is not straightforward because you have to jump thru hoops upgrading Google play services etc.

I'm getting used to the Note Plus glass screen now... it does feel like a premium device and the price difference between the two is the cost of a proper screen protector for the Note.. so you might as well get the Note Plus as it is a later device.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by general_public View Post
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a Boox Note. I'm getting it because normal lcd gives me headache, would you think the glass is more straining to read on the plus?

Thanks!!
Check out some of the videos online of the Note plus. The Note plus glass screen is matte so doesn't have a serious glare problem. Only issue is as I said above it requires a bit of messing around to get Google to work, but once it does you have access to all your apps and can treat the Boox like a low powered tablet. The Plus is marginally heavier due to the glass but otherwise identical. You just won't need to buy a screen protector with the Plus if you don't want to, with the Note you likely will want one.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #21
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by general_public View Post
Hey,

Thanks!!
I own 3 device: kindle paperwhite with its plastic screen (no glass cover), kobo aura one (glass cover) and note+.

The glare is pretty much the same on all of them. If you don't plan on writing the basic note might be better since it's a tad lighter.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
general_public
general_public began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note+
Great, awesome help, now I’m just hoping they lower the price on black friday on Aliexpre as they did on 11:11...
general_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
gbgbgb
gbgbgb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Thanks for an interesting discussion. I'm also on the fence between Note/Note+/Max2.

Already own a Sony dpt-s1 (13"). Very happy with pdf reading and note taking.
But the wifi experience is abysmal. Slow as molasses.
I sync docs in and out by briefly plugging physically into my computer.

I want a Boox predominantly to surf the web.
Skim/read new scientific papers on wifi: abstracts from email/web, and select pdf downloading on the fly.
Wifi must be good for this, and apps (browser, gmail?) decent.

Since I already have a 13", I'm tempted to add a 10".

1) Is the note+ ($50 more expensive) worth it over the Note for a mostly web surfing experience?

2) In particular, does the glass screen make it more brittle or in fact more robust structurally?

3) The note is now $500 on Amazon (w/coupon), the note plus $550. Think the plus will come down at amazon or elsewhere (shipping to US) during the sales next couple week?

Thanks
gbgbgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #24
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast
Robert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Kindle Oasis2, Sony PRS-650
I recommend you buy the Note with case and screen protectors that's on Ebay for $450 w/free shipping and be happy!
Robert Bitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #25
gbgbgb
gbgbgb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bitzer View Post
I recommend you buy the Note with case and screen protectors that's on Ebay for $450 w/free shipping and be happy!
Thanks Robert ... that unit is pre-owned.
gbgbgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #26
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast
Robert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipse

Yes, I know... the unit for sale is mine. I travel a lot and thought a glass screen would be more durable so I bought a Note+. I already have too many readers so the original Note has to go. It's in basically new condition.. bought it 3 months ago. Anyway if you absolutely must have something new, I understand but I'm sure the person that buys my "old" Note will be happy with it. The original Note with the flexible screen does have a better feel for writing, in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #27
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Does the Note have the screen recessed in the body as the Max do, or does it have a glass in front of it which makes the front surface flat, like an iPad for example?
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #28
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Does the Note have the screen recessed in the body as the Max do, or does it have a glass in front of it which makes the front surface flat, like an iPad for example?
The regular Note has the sunken screen same as the Max which makes it slightly more challenging to apply a screen protector. Don't know about the Note Plus which has a glass screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #29
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast

The Note Plus has a one-piece, flush glass screen.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #30
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bitzer View Post
The Note Plus has a one-piece, flush glass screen.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyc boox note, onyx boox note plus