Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Cant highlight/ lookup words Kindle touch

Good day all,

I have just gone to highlight a word on my kindle touch for the first time after updating to the latest firmware and it would not let me select anything.

The page turns were still working ok so I figured something had been messed up with the new firmware. I tried a restart and that changed nothing so I decided to do a full reset and wipe everything.

It was only when I started to put books back on my kindle that I realised that it was only doing this with one particular book and all the others were ok.(that will teach me to check next time)

Does anyone know how to edit the book so I can highlight and use the dictionary.

Edit

At the moment the book is in AZW3 but I have no problem converting it.

Last edited by alanHd; 08-25-2013 at 01:25 PM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it perhaps a book whose pages are images, so there's no text to select? That's the only thought that springs to mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange its definitely not an image based page.

Here's what I have tried so far:

Convert the original epub to mobi - my kindle would not open the book.
I opened the epub with sigil then saved a copy, I then converted this copy to awz3 but this still displays the same behaviour.

I thought I remembered reading something once about authors being able to disable certain features on books but i'm probably getting confused.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is somewhere in the metadata where they can specify the amount that can be highlighted. It must be 0% in the book you are having problems with.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Is it just the one book, or is this happening in all of your ebooks?

Have you tried restarting the Kindle?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
alanHd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Is it just the one book, or is this happening in all of your ebooks?

Have you tried restarting the Kindle?
Its just the one book and I did try restarting my kindle.

Googling has got me nowhere regarding the limit set by authors, I have tried look at the metadata of the book in question but I don't know specifically where to look.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There is somewhere in the metadata where they can specify the amount that can be highlighted. It must be 0% in the book you are having problems with.
A clipping limit won't stop you from looking up words in the dictionary.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
alanHd
Addict

Very strange, would a corrupt book be able to disable any highlighting or dictionary lookup.

I have 800 books on my kindle and this was the only book which did this,
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think a corrupt file is the most likely explanation.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
alanHd
Addict

Ok thanks for the help, at least my kindle is still working correctly, my first thought was it had developed a fault.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Corrupt files are reasonably commonplace. I would try downloading a fresh copy of the ebook from the original source.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote