Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilThelonius View Post
There is actually a video I found today, but its a chinese homepage, and I have no Idea which program he is using for the connection. It seems that the delay is not only the eink, but software wise.. but I am not sure. Anyways, I think it is a great possibility of using the Boox Max. Still, even though I would love to have an eink reader that big, it is still to expensive for me. I would love to have just the reader, striped down (no Bluetooth, no Audio etc.) with enough power to read my academic papers, f.e. large PDFs. I think it is a niche product and the people, who would love to use it at work do not need audio etc., but that is of course just my opinion, and I bet everyone has different thoughts on that point – and I actually don't know if it would make the reader considerably cheaper. If it drops to 500 euro I am definitely in.

Here is the Video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU3Nj...4-2.1-1-1-13-0
I use Google to translate the description of the video. It says:"BOOX MAX_ displays synchronization results presentation, internal test version, for reference only, the successor will have a public test version available to users to use. WIN10 now available."
If the author belongs to Onyx team, it will be a possibility to get this feature in the future.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 AM   #32
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

From Computex 2016 about Netronix:
http://mobile.hdblog.it/2016/06/03/E...x-2016--Video/
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
The scribble app of Netronix is quite impressive. I like it.
Seems the capacitive layer of their 13.3" device costs a lot of contrast in comparison to IR touch technology though.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #34
desk7
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Seems the capacitive layer of their 13.3" device costs a lot of contrast in comparison to IR touch technology though.
I think it depends on the type of screen. The screen of the smaller reader should be a E Ink Carta, isn't it?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #35
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
The scribble app of Netronix is quite impressive. I like it...
Booxtor, the Onyx Scribble app would be great too, if some basic functionality was added! Specifically I am missing:
- List view (to display the titles of 30+ scribbles on one page)
- Sort (by title and date, ascending and descending)
- Search scribbles by title.
Unfortunately the lack of these basic features makes the app useless for serious work, despite the fantastic accuracy and response
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #36
asdfffdsa
asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: not sharing
The prices for these devices are still too high IMO. The only way I could justify one is if I could use the display/digitizer as output/input devices on a home computer (there has been some work on X drivers for epaper screens--an actual compelling device might motivate more work on it). All of these "Toy OS" apps that each device manufacturer throws together (reinventing the wheel over and over again *sigh*) are fine for jotting notes and stuff, but to actually make the device compelling for professional/productivity use the only way forward is to decouple the output/input hardware from a particular software environment as well as the rest of the hardware.
asdfffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #37
eng10110
eng10110 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Totally Satisfied with the Onyx Max

Hello;

My 2nd post since registration.

I have the following eink eReaders;

Onyx Boox N96ML
Onyx Boox MAX
Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo Aura HD (very deeply disappointing)
Bricked (yes, bricked) Icarus

Thus far, the Onyx Boox Max 13.3" provides the most satisfying experience. BY FAR

Besides reading epubs/mobi eBooks, my work requires that I consume a lot of PDF and the MAX comes in very very very well in this. (I suspect the Sony DPT-S1 MAY be better in it's PDF software but it's out of reach and so ...)

For those folks comparing 13.3" eink ereaders, hands down at this point in time, MAX is by far the best.

The PDF and Note taking software could do with some improvement in features but the functionalities they do have works very well. It's responsive (as responsive as eink can be), friendly and bug free (so far)

My two cents.

(Caveat: I do NOT have the Good-EReader nor do I have the Netronix variant. They may be better but I doubt so.)

(I managed to brick the Icarus by placing a 32 Gbyte MicroSD card into it. That was certainly not allowed and I found that out too late).

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim
eng10110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #38
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng10110 View Post
The PDF and Note taking software could do with some improvement in features but the functionalities they do have works very well. It's responsive (as responsive as eink can be), friendly and bug free (so far)
Thanks for the feedback, you have quite a collection Could you say what firmware version your Max is running on?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #39
eng10110

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Thanks for the feedback, you have quite a collection Could you say what firmware version your Max is running on?
I have the first version of the MAX with firmware 1.8.1 (upgraded)

I saw a forum which states that 1.8.2 comes with multi-tab PDF or Document Reader and that would be an absolute killer feature for me. I switch between documents so very often.

I have also received an email stating that Max Carta 13.3" will come with a higher resolution together and a Regal Panel (2200*1650 dpi ).

There's a discussion stating that there will be yet ANOTHER MAX 2 later part of this year. If you are a Onyx Boox staff, can you elaborate on the difference between the Max Carta 13.3" and the Max 2 13.3"?

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim
Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
It does look dim.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 03-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #41
eng10110

Capacitative and lack of palm rest is a no go

Quote:
I have read in many forums and postings that many prefer and have asked for a capacitative screen on the 13.3" variant, one that is responsive to a finger or multi finger touch.

I don't quite agree.

With a capacitative screen, one would not be able to lay the palm of one's hand on the screen during writing or annotation. And this is a big thing for me.

I am also not willing to sacrifice contrast or battery power simply for a capacitative touch. Legibility is important (for me) and I would far prefer a high contrast screen.

I annotate and write on the Max 13.3" quite frequently and the ability to lay my palm fully on the panel is a big thing for me.

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim
Old 03-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #42
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It's quite possible to have a capacitive screen with good contrast.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #43
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
With a capacitative screen, one would not be able to lay the palm of one's hand on the screen during writing or annotation. And this is a big thing for me.
I annotate and write on the Max 13.3" quite frequently and the ability to lay my palm fully on the panel is a big thing for me.
This is true for pure capacitive screens, which is why the classic ipad, for example, is not ideal for handwriting.
However, when a device supports electromagnetic stylus, it has a layer in the screen which only senses the stylus, not your finger. "Dual touch" devices have both, and they can switch automatically from one technology to the other. So you can rest your palm on the screen without making any unwanted marks.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #44
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
I have the first version of the MAX with firmware 1.8.1 (upgraded)
Thanks, I like to keep track of fully working versions of firmware.

Quote:
There's a discussion stating that there will be yet ANOTHER MAX 2 later part of this year. If you are a Onyx Boox staff, can you elaborate on the difference between the Max Carta 13.3" and the Max 2 13.3"?
I'm not but you may find this post interesting.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #45
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
I have read in many forums and postings that many prefer and have asked for a capacitative screen on the 13.3" variant, one that is responsive to a finger or multi finger touch.

I don't quite agree.

You missed the point. The device has both inductive layer for the pen and capacitive layer for the finger. You are right that iPad does not have both but look for other devices. Samsung Note Pro has inductive and capacitive sensors and it works very well. When the pen is in proximity of the screen the finger touch gets disabled so you can lay you hand on the screen and draw with the pen without issues.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreader, icarus, onyx, pocketbook, sony