Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am already on page 40/480 (reading in fbreader)
So far very interesting and unusual book.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Pretty neat for being shoddy. Keynote / iMovie?
Windows Movie Maker.

All images are personal point and shoot digital pictures,
taken in Ethiopia, Prince Edward Island, Acadia National Park, Sao Tome Island, The Catskills, Equatorial Guinea, Fruitlands and my backyard. Subtitles by Bannerfans.com.
Music by by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - The Puppet Show.

Last edited by ASparrow; 05-30-2010 at 01:49 PM.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am already on page 40/480 (reading in fbreader)
So far very interesting and unusual book.
Good to hear you made it that far in. Also glad to hear that it's interesting. I kind of sort of knew that it was unusual.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Good to hear you made it that far in.
Well, I was very busy during the weekend and I had a book to finish before starting yours ;-)
Quote:
Also glad to hear that it's interesting.
The setting somehow resonates with my perception of how the afterlife might look if I believed in afterlife.
I remember seeing a movie where people went to an island after death and your status on island depended on how many people remembered you back here. If the last person forgot about you you simply disappeared, faded away. This movie left very deep impression on me.
Quote:
I kind of sort of knew that it was unusual.
Well, if you take into account that I normally read crime fiction, SfiFi (including hardcore military ones from Baen, space opera), some fantasy. My tastes are wide, but I would characterize my usual reading as "light stuff". I do not normally seek novels, or what is sometimes characterized as "serious prose".
Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard

I have just finished the book. Couldn't put it down.

... WOW! ...

Thank you very much for an opportunity to read such a nice and well written book.
It is been a long time since I read a book that I enjoyed THAT much. I finished the book yesterday evening and I am still smiling when I think about the (unexpected) ending.

I have found a few typos, and I found one (short ;-) ) chapter where I had to go back a few pages several times, but overall reading was very enjoyable experience.

I will PM longer review.
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #21
ASparrow
Addict

Great to hear!

Thanks for having a read. I'll look forward to your report.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I am one third in and enjoying it very much. I found it a little difficult to get into at first, put it gets more interesting with every page.

I found many tense and person inconsistencies throughout (I suddenly becomes they, present tense suddenly becomes past) but other than that it is very well written. I'm sending you details from what I've got till now by pm.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I am one third in and enjoying it very much. I found it a little difficult to get into at first, put it gets more interesting with every page.

I found many tense and person inconsistencies throughout (I suddenly becomes they, present tense suddenly becomes past) but other than that it is very well written. I'm sending you details from what I've got till now by pm.
I was worried about the tense thing. I normally write in third person, past tense so I tended to lapse back into it as I wrote.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
ASparrow
Addict

FYI. Chapter 4 was particularly egregious, not only with regard to tense, but also due to clunky writing. I've gone in and taken care of some of it's problems.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
ASparrow
Addict

LETHE is live again and available to all for free for the next 24 hours. I've fixed a formatting issue that put a space between paragraphs and I've also corrected dozens of typos in the first 1/3 of the book based on feedback from "omk3" (thanks!). I'll be taking it off-line again Friday night to prepare for the next round of revisions.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15436
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #26
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
yay its back. I downloaded it. Do you still need error reports? I may not be very good at that, but I will give it a go. I loved Xenolith, this should be good!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #27
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
yay its back. I downloaded it. Do you still need error reports? I may not be very good at that, but I will give it a go. I loved Xenolith, this should be good!

I can always use more eyes, and you're quite good at it, actually. Every error caught makes the book better. It doesn't have to necessarily be proof editing, it could be pointing out logical inconsistencies, anachronisms, clunky dialogue, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by ASparrow; 06-04-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
ASparrow
Addict

Yet another version is currently being uploaded, implementing some changes suggested by another kind reader.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #29
JamesMonaghan
JamesMonaghan began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Hi,

My name is James, first time poster. I have started looking into indie writing recently for some of my own projects, and decided to take a look around here. When I saw your request, I thought I'd introduce myself and let you know that I have downloaded Lethe in order to help out, if that is okay? I've read the first chapter so far, some great writing, mixed with some less great writing, but the end of the chapter hooked me.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think and what I pick up.

Thanks for the opportunity!

James
JamesMonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMonaghan View Post
Hi,

My name is James, first time poster. I have started looking into indie writing recently for some of my own projects, and decided to take a look around here. When I saw your request, I thought I'd introduce myself and let you know that I have downloaded Lethe in order to help out, if that is okay? I've read the first chapter so far, some great writing, mixed with some less great writing, but the end of the chapter hooked me.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think and what I pick up.

Thanks for the opportunity!

James
Thanks for picking up Lethe, James. Yeah, I just looked at that first chapter again with a fresh eye and there are some really crappy phrases. Expect a new version to show up on Smashwords shortly.

I would be glad to hear any critique you can offer. Lethe is a bit of an experiment for me, so I went places stylistically that I would not normally go, with mixed results.

Last edited by ASparrow; 06-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.