Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
rocketgranny
rocketgranny is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Utility for Project Gutenberg Text Files

Hi Everybody:

I stumbled on a great little application written by Duncan Jauncey that removes the embedded line-returns in a Project Gutenberg text file.

http://www.duncanjauncey.com/gutenberg.html

Update: Thursday, March 18, 2010
I ran across some other issues with a Project Gutenberg text file ... and decided to work up my own, expanded, script to handle embedded line returns, starting tabs, insert & remove blank lines, etc. The "GrannyFix" page is 100% HTML and JavaScript, so it runs on your own computer. I've pasted in the entire "Pride & Prejudice" text and the textarea handles it OK.

Because I'm using Regular Expressions to comb through the file, it's a lot faster than the Jauncey script. Future development plans are to (1) tighten up the regex and (2) add more options as I work with other Gutenberg files.

Link: www.rocketgranny.com/freebies/GrannyFix.html

PS: Right-click the page to view source, copy and paste to your own system. Thanks.

Last edited by rocketgranny; 03-18-2010 at 04:50 PM.
rocketgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Does this maintain paragraphing? I hate text files with line returns, there are breaks in all the wrong places. Yuck! Thanks granny.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
rocketgranny

Hi Bookcat:

Paragraphing is maintained IF there is a blank line between paragraphs.

The logic is that it replaces all line returns with a blank space UNLESS it finds 2 consecutive line returns, in which case it removes one and leaves the other.

I guess you get what you pay for, insofar as free eBooks are concerned. I'm having to spend a lot of time, cleaning up the ones I've decided are "keepers" because like you, I hate sentences that break off mid-line & etc.

RocketGranny.

Last edited by rocketgranny; 03-12-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
raulf
raulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the heads up! this can come in very handy indeed for Project Gutenber and other fellows that are using line breaks like crazy as well. It's more common than it should.
raulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
We already have something on-site that will take care of the problem. Do a search for Stingo's Macro.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for this!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
rocketgranny

Hi Strether:

The Stingo Macro is fine tool ... if you want to use MS-Word.

RocketGranny
Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I haven't checked your script, but some of the checks I did last time I cleaned a gutenburg text included:
- if the next character after a linebreak isn't a lowercase character, assume it's a real line break.
- if the character before the line break is a full stop, assume it's a real line break.

It seemed to work for me, not sure I still have the regex's around, I'll go have a look.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
line endings, lines, project gutenberg, reformat, text