Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
jbrephan
jbrephan began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Sending Back my EzReader Pocket Pro

Jay Rephan
<address removed by moderator.>

RMA# <removed by moderator>

Dear Astak,

There are three (3) reasons I am returning my EZ Reader Pro

1. The unit’s contrast between the actual print and the background makes the ebooks too hard to read. The text is too grey (not Black enough) and the background is not white enough… not enough contrast…

2. The paint on the unit is crinkled around some of the edges… poor finishing…

3. The unit completely froze-up on me twice… when I was trying to peruse my ebooks… the first time I took the battery out aond then successfully reset the device by using the button on the back – and then the second time I could not get the device to reset at all… it is still in that state as I pack it up and send to you…

I called your support people and it took me three days to successfully reach someone… the message said the fastest way was through email… I sent the email and waited around for someone to respond for about 6 hours with no call back, nor return email. Poor customer service.

I won’t be buying Astak again without a significant discount of some kind – after you improve the contrast and build quality.

I will be watching the forums. (which is where I learned of your products.)

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-27-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: removed private info. If you really want it there you can edit it back in.
jbrephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Two points...

1. All eInk screens will look like that. So, don't bother buying another eInk device if you didn't like the screen.

2. 6 hours... really? I know we are all used to "internet speed" these days... but waiting 24-48 hours isn't unreasonable. It's not like you need life saving oxygen delivered to your house.

Anyway... sorry you didn't like your device. I assume they will take it back and give you a refund.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I knew about the paint issues, reason for getting a black. But the screen? It looks amazing on all the videos I've seen. And most reviews think highly of it, aside from crappy menu contrast. Can't wait to get mines Thursday, although I think I may get it sooner than even UPS thinks.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
@Pilotbob, They do have terrible customer service (for me anyway) I ordered mine on the 22nd I've sent 5 emails, 4 to support@astak.com and 1 to sales1@astak.com and I've still yet to hear from them ! I've also tried phoning them (internationally I'm in the UK) And just get the auto recorded response "all our lines are busy, Please call back or email for a faster response" Yeah right. Still don't know if my pocket pro even left the US, Shit customer care what ever way you look at it.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
@Pilotbob, They do have terrible customer service (for me anyway) I ordered mine on the 22nd I've sent 5 emails, 4 to support@astak.com and 1 to sales1@astak.com and I've still yet to hear from them ! I've also tried phoning them (internationally I'm in the UK) And just get the auto recorded response "all our lines are busy, Please call back or email for a faster response" Yeah right. Still don't know if my pocket pro even left the US, Shit customer care what ever way you look at it.
And Robert has gone missing for a couple of days it seems. That really sucks. I ordered on the 25th and it said I should get it on the 1st. Being international though, I know it would be as zippy or in order but, yeah that's slacking. Hell I only went with them cause I seemed like everyone was having a pleasant experience.
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
At least if anything goes wrong we can claim the money back via paypal
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
At least if anything goes wrong we can claim the money back via paypal
Hmmm, it doesn't excuse them for ignoring you, but didn't they have a message up about not being able to process sent emails if paid by PayPal? Guess that shouldn't have anything to do with a tracking number.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Jay, et. al.

Wrt the screen and contrast. The PP screen contrast appears to be exactly the same as on the new Sony 300. I too was slightly disappointed in the slightly lower contrast as compared to my Sony 505. That and a number of UI/operational issues led me to return my black Pocket Pro. After I'd evaluated other options though I realized there wasn't much else with the same features and as a result have ordered a new black Pocket Pro which I expect to receive in the coming week. I'm hoping there is no battery or USB connector issue as my first PP had no problem with either of these.

I also had significant issues getting email responses last week as I was trying get them to just simply send the "returned" Pocket Pro back to me -- which didn't happen so I'm waiting to get a credit on my account at this point.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Jay, et. al.

Wrt the screen and contrast. The PP screen contrast appears to be exactly the same as on the new Sony 300. I too was slightly disappointed in the slightly lower contrast as compared to my Sony 505. That and a number of UI/operational issues led me to return my black Pocket Pro. After I'd evaluated other options though I realized there wasn't much else with the same features and as a result have ordered a new black Pocket Pro which I expect to receive in the coming week. I'm hoping there is no battery or USB connector issue as my first PP had no problem with either of these.
I lol'd.

Motto: The Pocket Pro, it's almost your best option when you look around.
Or: The Pocket Pro, you might return it at first but you'll want it back. So don't return it.
Or: Are customer services isn't that bad. Except to gargoyle67.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, something like that or

"what are you willing to live with"
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
kennyc

Or.....

hmmmm......maybe the Opus.....
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The screen on the Opus will be exactly the same as the Sony 300 and the Pocket Pro. It's the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
kennyc

Yep.

all the same manufacturer....
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, something like that or

"what are you willing to live with"
That would be a great tagline.
Really my search lead me here and I hope Thursday it was allllllllllllll worth it. It's what I'm willing to live with. Teehee.

Last edited by Xerxes; 09-27-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indeed. All made by PVI in Taiwan on the same production line in the same factory. The screens really are identical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote