Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #31
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And I keep pointing out that kobo.com is the ONLY site distributing the firmware. But, you are really talking about the "Kobo" affiliate. In that case, the answer, as I and others have said, is a staggered release. And they do this for the reasons stated above.
Indeed, you do keep stating this fact, and I also tried to allude to it in my wedding invitation analogy. Thus far, it seems as though petercreasey has not understood this point.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #32
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
david, you keep saying that but I haven't asked "why" before and the explanations offered in this thread are new revelations (to me, at least) and interesting.

If I were a kobo executive, I would want the affiliate with the kobo.com designation to be the most "perfect".
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
david, you keep saying that but I haven't asked "why" before and the explanations offered in this thread are new revelations (to me, at least) and interesting.
You are right, you haven't asked exactly this before. But you asked the trlate question "what firmware?" a couple of time and that gets exactly the same answer. And there is nothing new stated in this thread that wasn't in any of the earlier answers
Quote:
If I were a kobo executive, I would want the affiliate with the kobo.com designation to be the most "perfect".
There have been several responses to this already in the thread. As far as I can see, Kobo do have the "most perfect". Can you explain why you think they don't?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #34
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
My meaning and tone, or petercreasey's?

And if I came off as a little impatient, then it is because it is a topic that has been discussed here plenty of times. And petercreasey has asked the same question at least twice before and received the known explanation. I don't think expressing some frustration is unreasonable.
perhaps some frustration is reasonable or perhaps not, everyone is different some people are more polite than others.

thank you for proving in your response in post 2 on this thread, that my initial thought's regarding your (occasional imho questionable tone) are most definitely justified by your comment.

although that being said in fairness imho we can all have the odd off comment occasionally.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 04-15-2017 at 08:07 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

david, already asked and already answered.

Update via kobo.com sync is multiple versions and several weeks behind.
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

If you sync your device using either WiFi or the desktop app, no matter what your Kobo ereader model is, where it was purchased or what the affiliate is, the update comes from the same servers (downloads.kobobooks.com).

As many others have attempted to make clear, the update you will be offered depends on your affiliate and mysterious other factors (IP/geolocation, serial number, any other factors you can think of).

From what I've seen, staging updates is a fairly normal procedure for many companies. If you are too impatient to wait for an update, you can always download the version for your hardware from the links offered in this forum and manually update your Kobo ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #37
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
@petercreasey: You have asked the question before about what is the current version of the firmware. In fact, you have asked the question more than once. There were responses in those threads about how Kobo distributes firmware. Including speculation on why they do this. It has also been discussed here many times over the years I have been here. It comes up most times Kobo release new firmware, so there is usually a comment in the thread created for each thread.

But, as you seem to be insisting...

Kobo do not announce their firmware releases. The devices check for an update whenever they sync to the Kobo server. If there is an update, it is downloaded and installed. If you do the sync manually, you will be prompted whether to do the install or wait until later. If it is part of an automatic sync, the firmware is installed automatically.

Kobo do not release the firmware to all devices immediately. The release schedule appears to be based on the affiliate of the Kobo account used on the device and geolocation using the IP address. The affiliate is usually associated with were the device was purchased. The exact order of release is not known and seems to have changed. But, Kobo usually start with a Canadian affiliate. There is probably some agreement between Kobo and the affiliates as to when the firmware is released to them. It is possible they do their own testing or just let others be the guinea pigs. I don't know what the geolocation rules are except that Australia, or at least my ISP, is way down the list of places to receive updates.

The releases can be device model specific. This is something Kobo commonly does when releasing a new device. The update check sends the serial number of the device, so they can update one specific device if they want to.

There is probably also some load balancing done to prevent overloading their servers or links.

As to Kobo releasing firmware to other sites, they don't. There is only one site used for firmware releases. ALL Kobo devices query that site to determine the version for available to it at that point in time.

Why they do this, I don't know, but I can think of a few reasons:

- Small initial release in case of problems.
- Spread load on their servers/links over time.
- Agreements with their affiliates.
I am quite sure the serial number does not matter. My update checker just sends a bunch of zeros. Using real serial numbers has not ever resulted in different versions for me.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #38
petercreasey
Wizard

David, thanks, but my asking "why" in this thread stemmed from consternation/curiosity about kobo.com policy rather than any impatience for one of the recent updates.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #39
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:

No, Peter. This is flat-out wrong. I'm not sure why you don't understand that kobo.com already has the newest, most up-to-date firmware available, period. It is your ereader that will not update to the newest firmware because it is waiting in line for its turn. There are many other ereaders in line ahead of yours, so if you want the newest firmware NOW, get it yourself (from kobo.com, which is the ONLY place you can get it); otherwise, wait your turn in line until kobo.com is finished with all the other ereaders ahead of yours.

Last edited by icallaci; 04-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #40
petercreasey
Wizard

i, again it appears that somehow you are missing the point that users syncing to kobo's kobo.com should not (in my view at least) be left in the lurch without one of the more recent versions over the past several weeks...this while it is readily evident to these users that they are getting passed over despite going to the kobo site.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
i, again it appears that somehow you are missing the point that users syncing to kobo's kobo.com should not (in my view at least) be left in the lurch without one of the more recent versions over the past several weeks...this while it is readily evident to these users that they are getting passed over despite going to the kobo site.
Every single person is syncing with kobo.com. There is no other place to sync with.

I think what you're really saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you think people who's device have an affiliate of Kobo (as opposed to Rakuten or WH Smith or Fnac or whoever) should for whatever reason be first in line to get any updates?

Most companies don't send out firmware to every device all at once. Apple, Amazon, Samsung, etc. all use a staggered or staged rollout.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #42
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
They're not "passed over". They're given the full benefit of a thoroughly tested and stable update that is fully lacking in surprise bugs. If that really bothers you, you have the option of manually updating sooner, by using the links and directions in this forum.

Or, you can actively choose not to use the faster update option given to you, with the understanding that if you deliberately choose not to embrace a solution when it's offered to you, then you forfeit the right to complain about a lack of solutions.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #43
petercreasey
Wizard

Nope, as clarified a few times already, just don't feel that users should miss out on multiple updates over a rather lengthy time period while knowing full well that others are getting them.

Clear now?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #44
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
You aren't. There are alternative update methods you can use that gets the update to you on day one if you that is what you want.

Which makes this entire thread a bit of a strawman from start to finish.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And for all we know, the fixes in current builds might just apply to offerings like Kobo Plus that are not available in North America.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote