Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Bookworms live two years longer

...according to a study by Yale researchers.

Quote:
"Older individuals, regardless of gender, health status, wealth, or education, showed the survival advantage of reading books,” says Becca Levy, a professor of epidemiology and psychology. The survival advantage, she adds, persisted after adjustment for baseline cognition—meaning that it was the benefits of reading, rather than the readers’ previous cognitive capacity, that helped lengthen life spans. “More questions need to be answered,” Levy says. “But we know that reading books involves two cognitive processes that could confer a survival advantage: the slow, deep immersion needed to connect to content; and promotion of empathy, social perception, and emotional intelligence."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

That makes sense to me. The brain needs to be exercised and reading is a great way to do that. I suspect working puzzles, doing mathematical calculations, and other mental actions can also be of great benefit. I read not long ago that every time we learn something new our brains do not simply store it away in a storage bucket. The brain actually re-wires itself as we learn new things. So it is kind of like defragmenting an old hard-drive. The brain re-wires itself creating new pathways and in the process can bypass damaged areas. So read, read, read!!!!
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That makes sense to me. The brain needs to be exercised and reading is a great way to do that.
Or maybe it is because the bookworm doesn't want to miss the next book in a series, then the next one, and the one after that...
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This explains my aunt very well. She just turned 98.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My G=dad couldn't read a lick - nor his brother bother lived to be 98 & 99. So I don't think reading is going to prolong my life.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Or maybe it is because the bookworm doesn't want to miss the next book in a series, then the next one, and the one after that...
Also, we tend to have piles of books we have bought but not managed to read yet, so there is the need to stay alive until we can catch up. But people keep on writing books, and we'll never manage to do so.

Thanks issybird - interesting article.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
both lived to be 98 & 99. So I don't think reading is going to prolong my life.
Just remember you said that when Willard Scott's great grandson is interviewing you on your 100th birthday
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Both my parents and most of my grandparents lived into their mid 90's but that's not going to stop me. I've decided that there's just no benefit in dying and I'm not going to do it. My plan is to live forever and I'm going to do that if it kills me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Both my parents and most of my grandparents lived into their mid 90's but that's not going to stop me. I've decided that there's just no benefit in dying and I'm not going to do it. My plan is to live forever and I'm going to do that if it kills me.

Barry
:r ofl:
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I would like to see other kinds of comparisons beside the simple attributen of reading.

exercise, alcohol, smoking, drugs, money, work, length of work life, number of vacations, marital status, family, number of children, extended family, friends, dogs, cats, outdoors, hunting, fishing, climbing mountains, horseback riding, etc....
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There could be something to that. I am 77 and have been reading ever since I learned how. I read every day; I think it keeps my mind sharp and gives me something to look forward to; always wanting to read another book.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think it's because readers park their fat lazy rear ends in comfy chairs.

The guys who die young are the ones who like to run.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:33 AM   #13
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I think it's because readers park their fat lazy rear ends in comfy chairs.

The guys who die young are the ones who like to run.
Wholeheartedly agreed!

Good article.. thanks issybird!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That makes sense to me. The brain needs to be exercised and reading is a great way to do that. I suspect working puzzles, doing mathematical calculations, and other mental actions can also be of great benefit. I read not long ago that every time we learn something new our brains do not simply store it away in a storage bucket. The brain actually re-wires itself as we learn new things. So it is kind of like defragmenting an old hard-drive. The brain re-wires itself creating new pathways and in the process can bypass damaged areas. So read, read, read!!!!
I think it is more the mental exercise and not just the reading. If you found someone who solved differential equations for a retirement past time I'm sure you could say the same.

My dad died of Alzheimers. I had to move him close by for his last four years when he could no longer live on his own. First it was assisted living, then for the last year a nursing home. He kept a couple of books on his coffee table and seemed to pick them up and read from them from time to time, but he never changed the books. As his disease progressed the books went away but he still maintained an insistence on reading the newspaper every morning. I'd stop by on the way to work and find him in the common area having a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper. Not sure how much of it he really read, but he'd spend a good 30 minutes flipping through it and having his coffee before breakfast.

I asked a couple of professionals about his behavior with reading. They told me that as the brain dies of Alzheimers reading is one of the last things to go. When his oral communication skills deteriorated badly I took to leaving him sticky notes all over his room. That seemed to work, at least for a while.

Did reading keep him alive longer? I don't know, but it was one of the last communicative tools I had with the exception of a good hug and 'I love you dad'.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's a dangerous world out there.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote