Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Amazon removes Kindle app from Windows 10 store

Amazon removes Kindle app from Windows 10 store

A translation of the Tweakers.net article:

Quote:
Amazon has announced that it will be removing the Kindle app from the Windows 10 store on October 27. The company refers users to the desktop version of the application. Nothing was said about the app for Windows 10.

Amazon simplifies it's ebook applications, and will focus its attention on the desktop application. Amazon reports that the app will keep functioning after the removal from the store, but it can't be reinstalled.

The company has put a help page online, to help users migrate to the desktop application. People who use Windows RT are referred to the Amazon Cloud Reader, which is a webapplication that offers the same functionality as the store app.

There is no information with regard to a universal app for Windows 10 as well as Windows 10 Mobile, which is the way Microsoft wants companies to develop new applications. Amazon does have a mobile app. That one looks like to still be available after October 27.

The choice to cancel support for the application is striking. Microsoft has been encouraging developers to use the store, for example by giving them the possibility to easily convert 'old' applications to a version that can be put into the Windows store.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-18-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here's a link to the story at The Digital Reader site:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/1...s-app-finally/

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-18-2016 at 05:21 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
When I purchased my new computer (Windows 10), I found one installed "Kindle App". I have to deinstall it and install K2PC, because it's of no use in my desktop, so I understand it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
"Entre todos la mataron y ella sola se murió".

A Spanish "Refrán", that means: "All killed her, and her killed herself".

Slowly Modern UI (for tablets) is dying. Microsoft has not done his homework and now is paying the consequences.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I am a bit disappointed. I have a 7" Windows 8 tablet. The Kindle app works great. Kindle for PC is terrible using a touch interface.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I no longer have a windows pc but when i had my Surface on W10 I installed the Kindle app. I was horrified by the lack of functionality and how it didn't even work for personal documents (which most of my books are).

I guess if they can't be bothered to develop the app this is the route they have chosen to go down. It doesn't bode well for microsoft's idea of apps for windows 10, especially if other companies follow the same path.

NB: Kindle for PC on my MAC doesn't support Personal Documents either.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-18-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It doesn't bode well for microsoft's idea of apps for windows 10, especially if other companies follow the same path.
I'm still thinking to just install Linux Mint on my laptop and see what it can do for daily tasks, and then use Windows as a gaming system. Microsoft is magnificently botching it up since Windows 8.x.

Sometimes I need to use Edge, at someone else's computer, if they don't have another browser intalled. It just feels like a frickin' phone app. Same goes for all the other Modern UI apps. It just doesn't work on a desktop. I can't imagine this modern UI thing on a desktop taking off, ever.

It's no wonder Amazon scrapped their Modern UI app.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
k4955
k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, KF 2015, Nexus 2013 wi-fi, Nokia Lumia 2520, HP Stream 8
Amazon and Microsoft does not allow Kindle for PCs to be installed in Windows RT 8.1 such as Surface 1,2 and Nokia Lumia 2520. It is a shame they are boycotting the issue. The owners of those tablets paid hefty prices at the time of release.
k4955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
And Amazon does not talk of phone support.

Will CloudReader work under Windows 10 Phone? I bet no.

A new stone over the Microsoft Phones grave.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4955 View Post
Amazon and Microsoft does not allow Kindle for PCs to be installed in Windows RT 8.1 such as Surface 1,2 and Nokia Lumia 2520. It is a shame they are boycotting the issue. The owners of those tablets paid hefty prices at the time of release.
Kindle for PC *CAN'T* run on Windows 8 RT. Windows RT runs on an ARM-based CPU, and the Kindle for PC is an application intended for x86/x64-based CPU's.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
And Amazon does not talk of phone support.

Will CloudReader work under Windows 10 Phone? I bet no.

A new stone over the Microsoft Phones grave.
The OP seems to state that there is a working mobile app, no?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I haven't tried the Cloud Reader in a long time. Not sure how "full-featured" it is compared to the other dedicated "Kindle for *" mobile-apps.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I just downloaded the Kindle4PC and installed it on my Windows 10 system. It works great. The cloud reader will not allow me to download my books and place them in calibre
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'm still thinking to just install Linux Mint on my laptop and see what it can do for daily tasks, and then use Windows as a gaming system. Microsoft is magnificently botching it up since Windows 8.x.
I've heard a lot of good things about Mint. I'm a KDE guy myself, so it doesn't interest me much, but I've heard a lot of good things.

My main OS is actually FreeBSD (currently running 11.0-RELEASE). Everything pretty much just works. I even have ADE 2.0 running in wine so I can download my library book and put them on my Kobo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I "upgraded" my Surface Pro 3 to K4PC last night, and have decided that there are pros and cons vs. K4WIN8. But mostly pros. Since I can't go back, I'll just have to live with the cons.

I can see Amazon's point though, why should they devote resources to maintain two different apps that essentially do the same thing.

I understand there are use cases that are being abandoned, e.g. Windows RT, but if they went the other way and discontinued K4PC, they'd lose the much larger WIN7 and older base. And it's not like they're remotely uninstalling K4WIN8 or K4WINRT, they're just not supporting it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote