Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #151
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
My KoboTouchExtended plugin tries to address some of these issues, and a few people think it does a pretty good job, but even with that there's things I just can't fix yet.
some people think your plugin does an amazing job

what for some is a bug is a feature for others, at least in this case, and although i would prefer to see the number of pages until the end of the book
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
You also get the kepub renderer, which isn't quite the same as the ePub renderer
I've found the kepub render great for non fiction books, when you have a lot of footnotes, as you can preview them in a pop-up window.

So far I never had problem with annotations and bookmarks, maybe I've been lucky...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #152
daminou28
daminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Mini
KoboTouchExtended plugin

I've done a quick research ( maybe quicker than I should have ^^) but I haven't found anything about the KoboTouchExtended plugin.

What does it add to the Kobo?

Is is compatible with the Mini?
daminou28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #153
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Everything (hopefully) is answered in the plugin's README file; see https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver for that and more.

It's compatible with the Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, and Kobo Mini.

EDIT: I have finally created a plugin thread. Hopefully soon it will be searchable within calibre itself.

Last edited by jgoguen; 04-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #154
daminou28
daminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfoldeddaminou28 reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Mini
I can't manage to open the README file...

As for the KoboTouchExtended itself, do I have to install it on my Kobo or on my laptop. What improvements will I get thanks to it?

Thanks for your replies

(yes I know, I'm quite a newbie)
daminou28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #155
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
oooh anyone got a direct link?
Just get on WiFi with your device and go to Divice information and hit view and follow the tabs and it will update your software - firmware without a computer connection.. that is what I do with the Kobo Glo.. it takes about 10 minutes or less depending on download connecton.. if you don't have WiFi connection then you should have.. LOL
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #156
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Just get on WiFi with your device and go to Divice information and hit view and follow the tabs and it will update your software - firmware without a computer connection.. that is what I do with the Kobo Glo.. it takes about 10 minutes or less depending on download connecton.. if you don't have WiFi connection then you should have.. LOL
Doug
The problem being is that Kobo generally does not make the update available to all users at the same time. Other updates have only been made available in certain markets. For those of us who want the latest and greatest(?) and want it NOW!, the direct download links are much desired. If you don't like living on the bleeding edge, the firmware update -- if it is for your area -- will arrive sooner or later.

My key for the availability of a new firmware upgrade is that Kobo has in past, generally updated the Kobo desktop app just prior to the release. So when the desktop updated to 3.21 from 3.20, I started expecting a new firmware release. I refuse to discuss the role of chicken entrails in this process.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #157
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi,

I've loaded the firmware 2.5.0 but my light doesn't appear lower than before : it's always too bright when I read in a dark room (like the post of Uschiekid)...

Is there a bug that make the light not being lower than previous ?

On yours with 2.5.0 : you can choice between 0% and 100% of brightness ??? I can't with mine, I think I can't go under 50% of the power ?

Last edited by akorx; 04-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #158
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I have noticed that when I sync my glo with calibre it takes a lot longer than it did before 2.5.0, eg. to "send metadata to device" has gone from 80 seconds to over 14 minutes and to transfer 10 books to the glo now takes over 2 minutes, as opposed to some 10 sends before.

[edit]I have just reconnected the glo, and the everything has speeded up, more like before the upgrade to 2.5.0, hopefully the slow speed was just a one off event[/edit]

Last edited by jlynton; 04-20-2013 at 04:11 AM.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #159
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Is it just me, or does anyone else think they can get blacker looking text than before by cranking the font weight up? In the past it seemed like the best I could do was a dark grayish shade, now it seems like it's really dark with the weight cranked up. It's really quite nice in terms of contrast.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #160
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Hm, I tried to load some custom fonts onto the Mini after updating to 2.5, but while they showed up in the font menu, selecting them just resulting in the device rendering the books in... I think it was Georgia?... while claiming resolutely that it was my chosen font.

But it wasn't!

Was this happening before?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #161
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by daminou28 View Post
I can't manage to open the README file...

As for the KoboTouchExtended itself, do I have to install it on my Kobo or on my laptop. What improvements will I get thanks to it?

Thanks for your replies

(yes I know, I'm quite a newbie)
The page I linked has the README file showing right below the list of files. It includes install directions.

It should also now be available to search and install from calibre itself (Preferences -> Plugins) but I haven't tested that yet.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #162
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Hm, I tried to load some custom fonts onto the Mini after updating to 2.5, but while they showed up in the font menu, selecting them just resulting in the device rendering the books in... I think it was Georgia?... while claiming resolutely that it was my chosen font.

But it wasn't!

Was this happening before?
I've seen it now and then in the past. A restart fixed it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #163
Raduz
Raduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-505, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've seen it now and then in the past. A restart fixed it.
Yes, I had the same problem. Restart helped. Thanks.
Raduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #164
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else think they can get blacker looking text than before by cranking the font weight up? In the past it seemed like the best I could do was a dark grayish shade, now it seems like it's really dark with the weight cranked up. It's really quite nice in terms of contrast.
I thought the contrast was a bit better with my already tweaked GilSans font settings under 2.5. After reading your post I tried increasing the weight, and you may be right. It is quite some time since I played with the advanced setting however, so it's hard to know for sure.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #165
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
You are not alone. I feel the same way. It was one of the first things I noticed after the update. It still doesn't appear as dark as my wife's KT, though.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote