Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
flyred77
Enthusiast
flyred77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Move Library to SD Card

Hi again,

I have a couple of questions and I know you guys can answer them! First, Somewhere I read, "Don't move your library to your SD card." Why?

The second question is, How do I move my library to the SD Card? Is this a simple process, because my eDGe is running to sweet for me to mess with to much just to get stuff moved.

And finally, "Why are the D and G capitalized in eDGe?

TIA
flyred77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred77 View Post
Hi again,

I have a couple of questions and I know you guys can answer them! First, Somewhere I read, "Don't move your library to your SD card." Why?

The second question is, How do I move my library to the SD Card? Is this a simple process, because my eDGe is running to sweet for me to mess with to much just to get stuff moved.

And finally, "Why are the D and G capitalized in eDGe?

TIA

I recommend you continue to use internal storage as long as possible because when you move your library to the external SD card you lose the use of the 3GB internal SD storage. I use the external SD card for backing up my library and storing less frequently accessed information (e.g. PDFs, downloaded programs etc.). If you plan on rooting your eDGe so you can move Apps to an SD card do not move your Library to the SD card.

When you reach the limits of your internal storage (To check select Settings --> Device Storage) and would like to move it download and keep a copy of the PDF attached to this post.

Why are the D and G capitalized in eDGe? I'm not sure. Maybe Entourage was looking for a way to make their product stand out from the crowd. Kind of like iPad with the capital in it. Who knows. If anyone has a better explanation I'm all ears. Enjoy your eDGe.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Qwill
Enthusiast
Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I remember having seen somewhere in Entourage publications or website that capitalized D and G stands for Digital Generation, as the Edge was an mean tool for eliminating the need of printed books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Why are the D and G capitalized in eDGe? I'm not sure. Maybe Entourage was looking for a way to make their product stand out from the crowd. Kind of like iPad with the capital in it. Who knows. If anyone has a better explanation I'm all ears. Enjoy your eDGe.
Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwill View Post
I remember having seen somewhere in Entourage publications or website that capitalized D and G stands for Digital Generation, as the Edge was an mean tool for eliminating the need of printed books.
Sold to the highest bidder. I'll buy that.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
marketing scam Dolce and Gabbana?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
marketing scam Dolce and Gabbana?

I'm going with what Qwill said: It actually makes sense!

I always thought it was just for an edgier look.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

edgier as opposed to slimmer b and n or Ipad?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
flyred77
Enthusiast
flyred77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks everybody. I was pretty sure that I need to leave the library alone and I like the "Digital Generation" too!
flyred77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
manbass
Enthusiast
manbass began at the beginning.

Device: Full EE - Ice Blue and a Pocket Edge
Quote:
I recommend you continue to use internal storage as long as possible because when you move your library to the external SD card you lose the use of the 3GB internal SD storage........
Say what? OK lemme see if I understand this in the Best case:

Stock up on Books/Documents in the Internal 3GB SD and when that is full, start saving to a "permanently inserted" XXGB card in slot? Never move docs from Internal? Ever or it self destructs?

What kind of protocol is that for a mfg? Simply ridiculous to me.
manbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
coleoptera1
coleoptera1 began at the beginning.

Device: PE (ermine)
Quote:
If you plan on rooting your eDGe so you can move Apps to an SD card do not move your Library to the SD card.
Does this apply to the "Allmine Golden" update too? I was prepping a "virgin" PE as a CMas gift. Based on recommendations, I put the sd card in a moved the library (which was empty) over to the SD card BEFORE updating to Allmine.

What I thought would happen would be the ability to store media on the SD card AND to run apps from it. Will this work? If it won't, is there a way to do that?
Thanks!
Cole
coleoptera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru

no it does not as internal space is used for apps.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleoptera1 View Post
Does this apply to the "Allmine Golden" update too? I was prepping a "virgin" PE as a CMas gift. Based on recommendations, I put the sd card in a moved the library (which was empty) over to the SD card BEFORE updating to Allmine.

What I thought would happen would be the ability to store media on the SD card AND to run apps from it. Will this work? If it won't, is there a way to do that?
Thanks!
Cole
No, this does not apply to the Golden Allmine update. With it you should have enough space to install many apps in the internal device storage (and you'll still be able to use the SD card to store media).

I hope you can download the file OK, I'm sorry about the problems you're having!
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #13
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
My understanding is that if you update/upgrade with the Golden Allmine, it is a good idea to move the Library to the ext sd card (but not to copy the files or backup the files to the external sd card).

With the Golden Allmine, most of the internal storage space is reallocated and available even if the Library is "moved to external storage".

Word of caution - I gleamed this from the Golden Allmine thread (notably comments of pablob) and I am noobie (permanent).

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
MOve Library vs Move Content

In the response to the opening post, a reference is given to a document from entourage. The document actually refers to "contents" being moved to the SD card, rather than only "Library" being moved.

I think there may be two or more different mechanisms involved.

1. Move the "content" to the sd card; the internal storage is then not used by the PE.

2. Move the "Library" to an sd card. I think the internal storage continues to be used as before the move.

3. Copy or backup are different from move...

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
vicinc
Guru

it would be good to be able to specify the location of books without importing them.. like with other reader. edge reader is creating duplication. I prefer to browse for books, folder link added to desktop and only import to library 2-3 books i am reading. this way you can use multiple sd cards you can swap with books, music, movies etc and even dropbox shared between multiple devices with same account settings..