Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #91
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The list of $0.99 ebooks hasn't been updated this month yet on the Poisoned Pen Press website, but I noticed a few new ones were discounted to $0.99 at Amazon this week. Some of these were offered for $0.99 in previous months, so check to see if you already have them (I had already bought 2). An advanced search for Poisoned Pen Press sorted lowest to highest price should bring up more ebooks in a couple of the series which are priced attractively at $2.99.

Wine of Violence: A Medieval Mystery by Priscilla Royal (others in the series available at $2.99)
In the Shadow of the Glacier by Vicki Delany
Heartshot: A Posadas County Mystery by Steven F Havill
Cocaine Blues (Phyrne Fisher) by Kerry Greenwood (others in the series available at $2.99)
Artifacts: A Faye Longchamp Mystery by Mary Anna Evans (others in the series available at $2.99)
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #92
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Some of those are also $0.95 CAD and $2.88 CAD at Kobo, respectively, and should be couponable.

I can definitely recommend Wine of Violence which is very good, and conditionally recommend Artifacts, which is interesting and entertaining if you like past history/archaeology-related stuff.

And out of last month's PPP direct specials which are currently up on the site, I read the Fitzhugh Pest Control book, and it was very, very funny, enough that I went and bought the sequel during Books on Board's 40% off backlist sale which is incidentally still ongoing.

ETA: Lots of them just $3 during the sale, and DRM-free over at Books on Board. I sense a shopping spree ahead…

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-07-2012 at 09:51 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #93
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ATDrake. The Ragtime Kid by Larry Karp shows up at Kobo for $0.95 but $6.99 at Amazon, so I thought I'd mention that and I've reported it for a price match. I believe PPP ebooks are DRM free at Amazon, not sure about Kobo.

Last edited by Synamon; 06-07-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #94
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DRM at Kobo for much of the catalogue, according to the listing info, but DRM-free ePubs via Books on Board, which charges in CAD if you have your country set to Canada. Plus they have extra Reward Bucks which give you store credit towards future free books.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #95
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
These are not on sale, but I was quite happy to notice that all of PF Chisholm's Sir Robert Carey books are available as e-books from PPP now. A couple of month ago, only the last one was available as an e-book. I read one of the middle ones in this series many years ago in DTB from our local library's book sale, and quite enjoyed it. So, I'm happy to see them out as e-books now, so I can read the series in order.

Now I just have to decide whether to wait, and assume they'll make the first one available for $0.99 soon, or to go ahead and splurge a bit, and get it full price. (Yes, I know these are reduced and/or couponable at some other e-books stores, but I sort of like buying from PPP direct occasionally, because I like how they are doing their e-books.)

This Robert Carey series is set in Elizabethan England, so if you like historicals, you might give them a try.

Now I just have to keep hoping that PPP will get the rights to do e-books of Michael Pearce's Mamur Zapt series, which is my second favorite mystery series of all time.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #96
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Some of those are also $0.95 CAD and $2.88 CAD at Kobo, respectively, and should be couponable.

I can definitely recommend Wine of Violence which is very good, and conditionally recommend Artifacts, which is interesting and entertaining if you like past history/archaeology-related stuff.

And out of last month's PPP direct specials which are currently up on the site, I read the Fitzhugh Pest Control book, and it was very, very funny, enough that I went and bought the sequel during Books on Board's 40% off backlist sale which is incidentally still ongoing.

ETA: Lots of them just $3 during the sale, and DRM-free over at Books on Board. I sense a shopping spree ahead…

Good to hear - as I bought the Pest one too.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #97
Synamon
Lunatic

These two titles I posted last week as discounted to $0.99 are now free at Amazon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

ETA: see ATDrake's post below for more details of this promo

Last edited by Synamon; 06-12-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #98
ATDrake
Wizzard

They're being pricematched to iTunes. I'll do a feature post for them later when I can dig up the tie-in deals, since others in series are deep-discounted and I'm hoping this is the start of a supplementary promo pattern for PPP in addition to the hopefully-monthly direct-buy 99 cent 1st-in-series introductory offer.

Artifacts by Mary Anna Evans (I'm in the middle of the 2nd in series right now and it's fun; also cheapest for $2.34 or so CAD at Books on Board, but their site is down now; may be able to match with Kobo coupons)

In the Shadow of the Glacier by Vicki Delany (entire series is $3 or less at BoB; 2nd volume can be had for $2.34 or so, matchable with Kobo coupons)

Additionally: Wine of Violence by Priscilla Royal (excellent and recommended, just finished reading the 2nd in series which was again quite good and fun and $2.34 or so at BoB, matchable with Kobo coupons).

ETA: Official promo via their website (example for Wine of Violence). Given that they've removed the buy-buttons and linked to the stores, I expect this to show up in multiple venues.

And if you're willing to spend a few more cents and buy direct, they're also offering the $2.99 deals on the 2nd/3rd in series follow-ups themselves as well. Wish I'd known that before I went and splurged on some stuff at BoB earlier, but back then the promos weren't up on the site.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-12-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #99
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
All three of those were in the first(?) set of 99c promos. I bought them then, and still haven't read any of them.

Maybe they'll offer some I don't have, later.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #100
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Maybe they'll offer some I don't have, later.
If the Greenwood books pop up free in the UK, you won't already have had them because they haven't been offered for the 99 cent intro promos yet.

To summarize, 5 free books thus far DRM-free via iTunes (apparently not available in all regions, but at least 3 officially meant as multi-store promos) and slowly being pricematched by other venues. All have discounted further-in-series and here are the feature posts with appropriate linkage in the main Deals forum for them:
  • Wine of Violence by Priscilla Royal (Medieval Mystery series set at a religious order w/travel)
  • Artifacts by Mary Anna Evans (Faye Longchamp series contemporary archaeological w/travel)
  • Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher series historical 20s-30s upper class set w/travel)
  • Earthly Delights by Kerry Greenwood (Corinna Chapman comedic-looking gimmick cozy series set at bakery w/recipes)
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier by Vicki Delany (contemporary police procedural set in Canada)

In addition, you can pick up some 17-odd volumes in Steven F. Havill's Posadas County Mystery series (recommended by sufue on page 2 of this thread), plus the 1st in an historical mystery series by the same author for ~$2.90 + $0.40 Reward Bucks DRM-free from Books on Board (sale-priced $4.99 most other venues, but couponable via Kobo though DRM there).

I'll do a dedicated promo post later once I've dug up the places which have the 1st in series, which was a 99 cent intro special earlier, also at a discount, but right now I really want to catch up on missed sleep, so here's some direct shopping linkage for anyone who's read said 1st and is inclined to pick them up now.

Here's the series numbering order from PPP's author page for Havill to help you figure out what to read when.

Also, fellow MR member author Libby Fischer Hellman's four PPP-published Ellie Foreman mysteries are just $2.32 each from BoB. They were previously $3.49 couponable at Kobo and PPP's website sells them for that same price, but they seem to have disappeared from all the official stores so I don't know what's going on with that and whether the author has reclaimed the rights to yank and KDP Select exclusivize like she's done for her other titles.

In any case, she's got a tie-in freebie short story available to all @ Smashwords which leads into the 1st-in-series, if you're interested.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #101
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Greenwood books appear to be published by Allen & Unwin in the UK, and are absurdly overpriced. I won't hold my breath.

(I bought direct from PP for the 0.99 offers, but that doesn't seem to be an option for the freebies.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #102
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Kerry Greenwood's Earthly Delights (first in the Corinna Chapman series) has now gone from .99 to FREE on Amazon, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Earthly-Deligh...dp/B007H9JU3K/
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #103
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The Greenwood books appear to be published by Allen & Unwin in the UK, and are absurdly overpriced. I won't hold my breath.

(I bought direct from PP for the 0.99 offers, but that doesn't seem to be an option for the freebies.)
Australian pricing most likely!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #104
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I bought the first three "free" books from Kobo for about 92 cents each. However the links to the Kerry Greenwood books come up with an error message, and "Earthly Delights" is listed at $16.59. I'm assuming that this is because I have an Australian email address, and Kerry Greenwood is an Australian author, but I haven't checked with PPP or Kobo.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #105
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post
I'm assuming that this is because I have an Australian email address, and Kerry Greenwood is an Australian author, but I haven't checked with PPP or Kobo.
She probably has a different publisher in Australia (as she seems to in the UK) and the PPP versions are geo-restricted to regions where they've got the rights.