Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
NEW KOBO DESKTOP SOFTWARE

LOGGED into my kobo desktop and it told me there was an important update! whoo hooo!!!! Downloaded it and installed it dont know what changes were made as yet cant see any changes. Version infor is 2.0.1 Wondering if its like itunes an update to the itunes software just before release of the new firmware. No worries. I am happy so far with my ever growing 3000+ personal library on my Kobo touch.

If anyone knows of a new firmware to be released let me know. Also for those who found the browser and were complaining about it. I did notice that just before you clicked the link on the ereader launch it had a blurb about it being not fully supported as yet. Which implies they launched it as a beta and wanted to compete with nooks browswer... that said i expect major improvments.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Very well might be a wrong assumption. 2.0 was, from the get go, compatible with the Touch, less so with the earlier iterations of the reader. I know that some WiFI or Kobo-1 users were grabbing the new desktop link off the Kobo Touch page and installing it. Also that two Kobo/One computer families were struggling as they needed 2.0 to update the Kobo Touch and it did not play nicely with the earlier Kobos.

It may very well be that this (minor) update smooths things out for those folks. Perhaps George or other staff will answer the question in a definitive way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Didn't plug the touch in so I don't believe there's a firmware update because there isn't one wirelessly, but I wanted to see if this was the update for the older kobo's and it is; the only thing I don't care for is that you have to do a factory reset to get it to work; logging off and logging back in didn't work, and it didn't attempt to update the books already on the device. Why make it so difficult for people? I don't think it would be so bad if it retained time/date as well as network info, or at least imported part/let us input that from the desktop app (never understood why it could retain time zone info, but not the date or time..)
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Well, I got burnt by loading desktop 2.0 for use with my WiFi and it wasn't compatible. I had to releod desktop 1.9 to get back to where I started (after a factory reset).

I'll wait until I start desktop 1.9 and it tells me to load the new version, and it ain't doing that yet.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Funny ltr! I said the exact same to my wife regarding my usage of 2.0 on my WiFi! She did install 2.0.1 for her Touch. Don't see much change.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
The Android app just told me it wants to update to version 3.1.1206, so they might well be updating across the board after all.

EDIT: Release notes say "speed and stability improvements" Hooray! It also claims to sync across devices now, so if you have a wifi reader and a droid app they will probably sync each other now.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 06-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It seems like the mobile apps are updating pretty frequently. This update improves stats and the syncing in Reading Life. It still isn't as fully developed as the apps for iOS, but it's getting there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It seems like the mobile apps are updating pretty frequently. This update improves stats and the syncing in Reading Life. It still isn't as fully developed as the apps for iOS, but it's getting there.
I don't use Reading Life... I read to get away from people, not to socialize with them

But I can actually tell a speed difference in the app now, and that makes me happy.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am having success with keeping Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch and Blackberry Torch with Kobo app all synced. Cool, actually.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Comparing the iOS and Android version, for me the only thing lacking in the Android is the ability to justify text. iOS has that option and I think it is great.

Now the $99AUD question is, do I grab a Kobo Wifi? I don't need another ereader, and don't like the future of touch screens. Hmmmm.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Hmm...I just got a wireless firmware update pushed to my Touch, and confirmed as a new version in the Device Information dated June 17th, but no changes that I can see anywhere.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I WAS RIGHT NEW FIRMWARE DOWN 1.9.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Didn't plug the touch in so I don't believe there's a firmware update because there isn't one wirelessly, but I wanted to see if this was the update for the older kobo's and it is; the only thing I don't care for is that you have to do a factory reset to get it to work; logging off and logging back in didn't work, and it didn't attempt to update the books already on the device. Why make it so difficult for people? I don't think it would be so bad if it retained time/date as well as network info, or at least imported part/let us input that from the desktop app (never understood why it could retain time zone info, but not the date or time..)
I WAS RIGHT THE NEW DESKTOP SOFTWARE WAS 2.0.1 NEW FIRMWARE WAS JUST DOWNLOADED VERS 1.9.3 HAD 1.9.2 YESTERDAY. So it looks like they are actively working on bringing a better product.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
How do you get the update, the desktop program updated but it doesn't prompt me for an update, trying syncing, siging out etc.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
jackastor
Wizard

well for me it just did it when i synced my Kobo Touch. Did you get the new 2.0.1 desktop software? if not go to kobosetup.com and download it and update it and then sync your Kobo Touch.

but from my looks thats like 3 updates since release. 1.9
1.9.1 looks like i assumed 1.9.1 seems that it went right to 1.9.2 as pointed out in a later reply to this thread.

Last edited by jackastor; 06-18-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Yes updated to 2.0.1. So the only reason I see are they found a bug and pulled it or They are not just pushing it on every sync and just have to try and try.

Or I could just try a factory reset like stated previously.

Update : Tried a factory reset, Now I am back to 1.9 and it won't even update to 1.9.2. So I am now stuck with a even older firmware. Must be a problem with their site.

Last edited by Nigol; 06-18-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote