Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Drink with the Devil - Jack Higgins

"Drink with the Devil" by Jack Higgins was my first read from this author. It's a thriller along the lines of a Jason Bourne though not nearly as good (as the original Bourne). Still, it's a good read if not an exceptional one.

Publisher's Summary

A fortune in stolen British gold lies shipwrecked at the bottom of the Irish Sea. And history's deadliest treasure hunt is on.

Irish militant Michael Ryan wants to finance war in his homeland--and a sinister pact with the New York Mafia will make his dreams a savage reality. Former IRA enforcer Sean Dillon now works for the British government. His mission: retrieve the gold by any means necessary--and finish Ryan's bloody plot before it gets off the ground.

Two deadly men are locked in a furious race, with millions of dollars--and lives--hanging in the balance.

This book put's Jack Higgins into my "authors who's books are worth a look" though not yet into "author's who's books I must read".

I actually listened to, rather than read this book, via Audible.com. While I usually love my audible books, I think I'd have enjoyed reading this book better. It's not a BAD read, but the reader is clearly British/Irish. That's fine for the Irish characters...but it was comical listening to his attempt at Itallian accents. And frankly, I think it's just easier on my ears to hear an "American" (I know, we have types of accents) doing Irish and Italian characters and the in between narration parts "without accent". (I know, just speaking from my pov). This is one of a couple of books with british readers that I didn't like so much.

The "Sean Dillan" character appears in other books and I think I'll get around to reading some more of them.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for the info. The only things I've read from him (a long time ago) were 'The Eagle Has Landed' and 'The Eagle Has Flown', I remember enjoying them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Jack Higgins has written a lot of stuff (also under several pseudonyms), most of it okay or good, but there are a few misses in there. I remember reading "Solo" many many (many) years ago, and really enjoying it, but I was younger then...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
For me, his books made better films, but even then....

I did try a couple, but found his style a bit "ho-hum" for me.

Sort of trying to re-invent Alastair McLean, who did it much better. His work, although of his time, still stands up as well-written ripping yarns.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote