Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iLiad software Wishlist

While I'm waiting for my iLiad, I'm stuck in research mode. I can download and compile apps, but can't really test them. So therefore, bug fixing for existing programs isn't possible. In the meantime, I can try to port new apps that perform new functions. The problem is that I'm out of ideas. The iLiad now does everything that I need. What do *you* want it to do? Give me a software wishlist of programs you'd like to see on the iLiad.

Applications Under Consideration:
  • Email Application
    1. Sylpheed Claws - http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
      1. Porting Already Begun
      2. Need work to be usuable with iLiad screen refresh
    2. Mutt - http://www.mutt.org/
      1. Compiles and runs in development area
      2. Terminal Based
      3. Probably unusable without external keyboard.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-27-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I would be interested in a database. namely SQLite. Isn't worth much alone, but if someone succeeds in getting something like Python on it, that would be a interesting combination.
Point of SQLite is, you can use the files everywhere, there are bindings for PHP, Java, a DLL and executable for windows ...
Could be interesting.

--
www.sqlite.org
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Ideas/Wishes

Adam,

I wanted to use FBreader from the internal memory. It worked at least partly, but the icons were not visible. You made a MMC/SD-version and a CF version.
Could you also make a single universal version, that can run from anywhere, so with relative paths to the needed files.

Other wishes:

An editor. Maybe Ted.
A diary
A phone book
A GPS program with a map (a GPS-mouse connected to the USB-stick port)
Same for a keyboard or a barcode-scanner.
The ipdf-dictionary connection.

Good luck with getting your iLiad working again.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Adam,

I wanted to use FBreader from the internal memory. It worked at least partly, but the icons were not visible. You made a MMC/SD-version and a CF version.
Could you also make a single universal version, that can run from anywhere, so with relative paths to the needed files.

Other wishes:

An editor. Maybe Ted.
A diary
A phone book
A GPS program with a map (a GPS-mouse connected to the USB-stick port)
Same for a keyboard or a barcode-scanner.
The ipdf-dictionary connection.

Good luck with getting your iLiad working again.
For one that you can install to internal memory use the instructions for the native installation here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/index.php...ILiad_FBReader

Instead by making the symbolic link from /usr/local to the memory card, just name the fbreader directory to local, and put it in the /usr directory. Watch your file system space though, I don't know how much is free.

Ted, Diaray, and Phonebook should be pretty simple as long as I can find an open source project using the right libraries. I'll let you know what I come up with... I know work has been done on Ted already. I'm sure if anyone can figure it out, it's Antartica.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
Could you try compiling the Sun Java virtaul machine for the Iliad. Then we could develop directly in Java. The download of the sourcecode for the JVM should be here:

https://jdk6.dev.java.net/

Hope this can be done. It would be a nearly universal platform on which to develop without the fear of bricking the device and stuff like that.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
wagnerian
Musicology Student
wagnerian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Zaurus C1000
My wish is the Midnight Commander or something like that.
wagnerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
mill0r
mill0r doesn't littermill0r doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader, iRex iLiad
As a comic reader I'd love to see something like comix (http://comix.sourceforge.net/) on the iLiad.
mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
A database would be good - a simple card file would do - something that can hold addresses and weblinks.

If you're getting really ambitious - how about a simple spreadsheet or expense program?

A .doc viewer would be awesome.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

How about an email client like like Sylpheed or Claws? http://www.claws-mail.org/

Scotty had started a port of Claws but he never finished it.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ditto on the above, especially a text editor and the Midnight Commander.

A .LIT reader or plugin for FBreader would be extremely helpful. Not the DRM version, but non-DRM versions. There are a couple of converters out there, so the format must be documented somewhere, and it would save converting a lot of files before being able to read them. It would also jump the iLiad to the head of the pack in terms of number of formats supported natively, I think.

I'd also really like a simple sketch program that could support pressure sensitivity, in the hopes that once the basic stylus calibration is done, pressure sensitivity will be supported.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
As always, a conversion of the xCHM Viewer ;O)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerian
My wish is the Midnight Commander or something like that.
I was able to compile and run this from my build environment. It's text based though. I don't see how it would be usefull...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
As always, a conversion of the xCHM Viewer ;O)
When my iLiad was working, I had this compiled and running. However, after using it for a bit, I found FBReader to be a better solution for chm files.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How about we specifically consider the various open-source apps out there and decide which of them could be of practical use on the iLiad. I would go for Midnight Commander and Plucker
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

When looking for softare to perform specific applications, I suggest http://gnomefiles.org/ . All of the files there use GTK, which is usually easily ported to the iLiad. The only exceptions are those that require python, perl, java, or specific Gnome libraries. Find a program that doesn't require any of those, and you are golden.

I'll keep the first post updated with programs that I find, and possible problems they may have.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-27-2007 at 12:07 PM.