Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
NOOK wireless only at B&N store? Color navigation?

If I listened correctly at CNET, the wifi will only work at a B&N brick and mortar store? And the color is limited to the navigation pane?

I like the sharing feature, but the wifi limitation would prevent me from considering it.

chaz
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The WiFi isn't limited to only the store.

The navigation pane is the only thing color. The other screen is regular eInk like other readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
chaznsc
Connoisseur

From the report at CNET, it seems its limited, perhaps that's a temporary thing?

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...?tag=mncol;lst

MY BAD, If I had read instead of listened.....

It's worth noting that initially Barnes & Noble said the WiFi connection would only work in its stores, where Nook owners would have have access to exclusive offers and free browsing of complete e-books. But later a PR person emailed us to say that, "The Wi-Fi connectivity will also work on other Wi-Fi networks to give you access to browse and download from the company's digital store at fast broadband speeds."

Last edited by chaznsc; 10-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Wi-Fi will work on any wi-fi network, as long as the signal is unencrypted (from what I understand). However, there is nothing you can do on your private Wi-Fi that you can't do on the AT&T 3G signal. You can't browse the web, etc., and you can't transfer books from your computer. It's only for buying books from the B&N store and getting your subscriptions. The B&N Wi-fi network lets you browse through whole ebooks, but that is only in their stores. The only reason you'd need to connect to a private wi-fi is if you were out of AT&T coverage (e.g. out of the country on vacation).

And yes, e-ink is only in black and white at the moment on any device. A color e-ink prototype was announced today, coincidentally enough, but it's still a few years off, I think. One of the selling points of the nook is that it has color at all: no commercially available e-ink reader has any color on it, and all navigation is done on the e-ink screen, which has slow refresh time. The nook's color touchscreen is supposed to improve navigation while keeping the e-ink advantages for reading the actual text.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
chaznsc
Connoisseur

You are right, my bad for listening to the video on CNET. They should retract or edit it.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Any WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
Wi-Fi will work on any wi-fi network, as long as the signal is unencrypted (from what I understand).
Surely that can't be right. There are very few totally unencrypted signals around (at least in my experience). At airports and in hotels that offer "free WiFi" one must still indicate acceptance of terms and conditions before one's connected. I'm not sure whether that's considered unencrypted or encrypted.

Has anyone explored this with B&N? I asked yesterday at the local B&N's nook kiosk and they couldn't tell me.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Has anyone explored this with B&N?
See nook: Wi-Fi access:
Quote:
EDIT: We see there are lingering questions about Wi-Fi ... So, for a point of clarity, you can connect on any 802.11b/g Wi-Fi hotspot, or wherever you have the SSID password. The exception to thie is Wi-Fi hotspots that use proxy settings (like you typically see in a hotel), where you have to enter a password or some other information before you can connect.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
Wi-Fi will work on any wi-fi network, as long as the signal is unencrypted (from what I understand).
That's not correct, both WEP and WPA will be supported, as well as open connections. The only issue is hotspots where your browser is first redirected to a page where you have to accept some terms and conditions before you can get access, like you do in airports - that's because the nook does not have a browser.

Last edited by afv011; 10-28-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinmall View Post
finally figured out how to add addresses and look up businesses on the web and synchronize them to my navigator's "Favorites". If anyone is interested here is the XXXXXXXXXXX
I just can't quite sort out what you are trying to say here...?

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-23-2009 at 09:18 PM.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just can't quite sort out what you are trying to say here...?
He's a spammer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He's a spammer.
thanks! I was wondering if I had totally lost it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
ZacWolf
ZacWolf began at the beginning.

Device: stanza on iTouch, nook
It is based on Android, so I would bet we'll see a chrome browser before too long.
ZacWolf is offline   Reply With Quote