Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
Peregrine
Enthusiast
Peregrine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Got My Reader

Of course there have been several threads like this, but even after reading this board a lot this thing has really blown me away, I guess I didn't really have a grasp on the size, it seems like a perfect size for reading, and the screen is fantastic! I was reading through 1984 a bit and getting used to the controls, I know I am going to love this thing.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Congrats Peregrine.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
It is an amazing thing, isn't it? After trying to read books on palm products, I am blown away by this one. This is the first ebook reader where I actually forgot I was reading an ebook, and just sunk into the book. Helps, of course, that 1984 is such a good read. I've started "State of Denial" -- how nice now to carry around a big fat hardcover! Now, if only more books start showing up on connect -- the selection is really quite limited.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdor
It is an amazing thing, isn't it? After trying to read books on palm products, I am blown away by this one. ....
So you don't hesitate to say that Sony Reader is much better than Palm T|X or other palm devices for reading ebooks, do you? I've used niether and been told to get palm devices because their versatility and backlit light.

I've not bought such arguments because the small screen sizes of palm devices. Now you conviced me to follow my gut feeling.

Thank you.
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
The backlight was actually distracting and I think strained my eyes more. Also, I like not having to change pages so frequently! I'm very happy with the Sony product -- two books down and in the middle of "State of Denial"...
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
My eye are getting on in years... The display for the 500 is very easy on them!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdor
The backlight was actually distracting and I think strained my eyes more. Also, I like not having to change pages so frequently!
Both of these reasons played heavily in my decision to go with the Sony, even though I already have a Palm device. I unfortunately have to stare at back-lit LCDs for a good chunk of my working life; I don't want to do it for pleasure reading too!
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
I have both a Palm TX and the Reader. Reader with EInk has print clarity far above the Palm and does much better in full sunlight. Not to forget the persistence of e-ink which makes for days of use instead of hours on the Palm. Unfortunately due to poor PDF support, Palm wins hands down for resolution detail in PDFs of google maps, small text, images etc. due to better zooming scale (PalmPDF) If the PDF is properly formatted, then the Reader is great, but I wouldn't ditch the Palm.
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinenut
So you don't hesitate to say that Sony Reader is much better than Palm T|X or other palm devices for reading ebooks, do you? I've used niether and been told to get palm devices because their versatility and backlit light.
It really depends on what you want to do, pinenut.

If you want something to read on, then in most cases the Reader is most likely to be your best choice. The obvious exception is if you want to read in the dark, and aren't willing to use a secondary light source.

If you want an electronic organizer that will do some extra stuff, including allow you to read a bit, then you might be better off with a Palm T|X (or something like it).

If you want a PDA that's pretending to be a full-fledged PC, then you'll want to look at getting one of the Microsoft OS PDA's (though in my opinion, in trying to be both, they don't manage to be either very well).

If you want a Star Trek PADD, well, then you'll need to get used to disappointment.

I'd suggest you take an in person look at the options (so that you can truly appreciate the difference between the display types), and decide what you want to do with it, and go from there.

That being said, I've read on a Palm for years, from a Palm Pilot Proffessional, all the way to a LifeDrive (bad design, that one, by the way, don't go for that model whatever you do -- I went back to my T3 as fast as I could), and the Sony Reader is in a totally different class. No contest, no more Palm reading for me.

I've held the two side by side (several times) to show folks the difference and no one has yet tried to tell me they'd rather read on the Palm.

I should point out, however, that like huari, I do still carry my Palm, just for as an organizer, its original purpose, not as a reading device.

Last edited by NatCh; 11-06-2006 at 02:26 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote