Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #181
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
It took a long time for me to debrick the kindle.
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #182
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which means you are now ready to break it again.

Isn't working with undocmented devices fun?
What do you mean by "undocmented devices"?
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #183
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
What do you mean by "undocmented devices"?
In this case, Kindles.
Amazon/Lab126 does not release any technical documentation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #184
Au3C2
Au3C2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 KPW4
Hi! I want to know if the "PL2303 USB to Serial (TTL) Module/Adapter" can do the same work?
Au3C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #185
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Hi, the 1.8v pad in the tutorial is dead on my PW3, It does not give a reference voltage. ( TP1706 )

There is another pad that give 1.65v, that I have soldered to, but I don't trust it :-)

The power button pad gives proper 1.8, but pulling that down to ground turns the kindle on/off.

I think I saw some people use a AA battery for the reference, if I do that, do I just hook Negative to ground, and the positive to the reference voltage on the serial board?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Going from top to botom in my image:

Code:
1. GROUND
2. RX 
3. TX
4. POWER hot
5. POWER gnd
6. 1.65 voltage that turns on when the device is running.
MY tracking number says I will get my serial board Thursday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170507_105241.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	156577  

Last edited by coplate; 05-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #186
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Close.

A battery with Lithium/Iron Disulfide chemistry.
New ones have an open circuit voltage of 1.8 volts.

And your powering the CMOS reference input of the adapter, which is approximately zero load.

One example: Energizer Ultimate Lithium.
(in AAA and AA sizes).

That test point mentioned in the directions is part of the screen's front light circuitry.
Which I suppose you still have unplugged.

I really should go searching that motherboard for a better reference source - whenever the front light goes out, the adapter stops adapting.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #187
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, that makes sense, I can hook in the FL/Hall cable, and that will probably activate that.

I do know that the on/off switch is always on, and bridging that to the ground does on/off functionality.

I wonder if that would work for the reference voltage on the ftdi chip, or will that try to turn it on and off all the time.

I won't know until Thursday :-)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #188
coplate
Guru

well, I just let the magic smoke out of the UART chip I bought, because I didn't do something right.

It wasn't the jim.sh board, but another one.

Between having the pads ripped off and this, I may just wash my hands of this water damaged board.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #189
qcpoxykq
qcpoxykq began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
This looks like a GREAT guide. I just received my Kindle PW3 with 5.8.9.2 firmware. Has anyone tried this with the most current, never been jailbroken, firmware?

Should the firmware version even matter if your going in through the hardware serial?
qcpoxykq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #190
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpoxykq View Post
This looks like a GREAT guide. I just received my Kindle PW3 with 5.8.9.2 firmware. Has anyone tried this with the most current, never been jailbroken, firmware?

Should the firmware version even matter if your going in through the hardware serial?
It makes no difference.

Read first post.
Pay attention to second sentence, the one in bright blue.
Is your Kindle a touchscreen device?
Is its firmware in the 5.x series?
What does the blue sentence say?

The above is a test.
If you can't solve it for the answer to your question, you should not be trying to modify your Kindle.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #191
qcpoxykq

knc1 I like your timely and snarky(ish) response... and let me add thanks for your knowledge and support provided by this site. It is the only resource like it.

Once this process is completed will this JB behave like the software JB? I read the Forum Posts Here and am interested specifically in:
Quote:
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jailbreak is known to survive the update to either 5.8.8, 5.8.9 or 5.8.9.2.
It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.
My goal is to make the connections and leave them permanently attached and sticking out of the case in some way, just in case I ever need them again.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #192
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
knc1 I like your timely and snarky(ish) response... and let me add thanks for your knowledge and support provided by this site. It is the only resource like it.

Once this process is completed will this JB behave like the software JB? I read the Forum Posts Here and am interested specifically in:
My goal is to make the connections and leave them permanently attached and sticking out of the case in some way, just in case I ever need them again.
I'm not knc1 but the quick answer is yes.

Now my question to you is have you done much soldering or will you be using the non-solder method?
Please make sure you understand all directions before embarking on this journey and good luck.

Oh wait: you wanted snark. After the serial jailbreak, you can't have any more lucky charms because they magically escaped but they left the front loops behind with Count Chocula.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 06-15-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #193
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=14

There have been other ways posted also.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #194
qcpoxykq

My iPhone is borked or I would upload some status photos.

Anyway I have my 4 solder connections and everything is looking really good and clean.

Tomorrow is finishing it up. I will upload my results for the benefit of the next person.

Last edited by qcpoxykq; 06-16-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #195
qcpoxykq

WooWee, This is fun!
So, this is just a small progress update. I ran into some interesting developments working with the PW3. For example when entering the diag menu it shows up via touch screen and not in putty. I have pictures of the whole process so far that I will write up a quick review/update to the steps mentioned in this thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	157343Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	157344

I am now to the section of installing a test JB utility. I am having trouble figuring out what I want to do from here especially since KUAL doesn't list support for the PW3.

I think I am going to try to downgrade to a point where I can use collection manager...

Tags
serial jailbreak