Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #46
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I can only speak for Ohio, but I was told that because State taxes go toward funding libraries, Ohio residents have a legal right to any public library in Ohio.

The libraries are able to set up whatever method they prefer (e.g., in person registration).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #47
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I can only speak for Ohio, but I was told that because State taxes go toward funding libraries, Ohio residents have a legal right to any public library in Ohio.

The libraries are able to set up whatever method they prefer (e.g., in person registration).
For a long time there were no state or county taxes for libraries in Texas (it was done on a city by city basis. It's changed in the last few years so even though we had some reciprocal lending, it's gotten much wider now. I can get a card in Austin (I'm in Cedar Park, nearby) or Houston (it has several ebook options). But every state is different with different rules. I pay for interlibrary loans to be shipped to my library, but I have a friend in Florida that doesn't have to pay for paperbacks to be shipped/borrowed locally (of course, there are taxes that pay for it, so technically she is paying somewhere.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #48
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
For a long time there were no state or county taxes for libraries in Texas (it was done on a city by city basis. It's changed in the last few years so even though we had some reciprocal lending, it's gotten much wider now. I can get a card in Austin (I'm in Cedar Park, nearby) or Houston (it has several ebook options). But every state is different with different rules. I pay for interlibrary loans to be shipped to my library, but I have a friend in Florida that doesn't have to pay for paperbacks to be shipped/borrowed locally (of course, there are taxes that pay for it, so technically she is paying somewhere.)
I got the Houston card last year. I live in Texas, but not in Houston. My local library is a bit thin in my genres and was able to get it all done online free and good for 3 years I think. I didn't even know about it until I read about it somewhere.

I also have the Brooklyn one though as they get new books in my genres fast and have a lot of them also.

I used to have the Philly one, but dropped it as Brooklyn has a better selection and they don't make me send a check to renew, I can do it all online.

Then I got the chrome library extension plug in and now on every amazon book page and every goodreads book page it lists if the ebooks/audiobooks are available at any of my 3 libraries. Love it.

One has a 1 year expiry, one a 2 year and one a 3 year. I have to write down the dates as they are all different.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #49
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you're using Library2Go, it's funded by all the libraries in Oregon that offer ebooks, so it doesn't really matter which library card you use.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
If you're using Library2Go, it's funded by all the libraries in Oregon that offer ebooks, so it doesn't really matter which library card you use.
Around here, the BC Libraries Cooperative Library2Go will show you different ebook selections depending on which member library you are associated with. They pay for access to the ebooks they think their patrons will want within the limits of their budget. Most BC libraries will allow you to obtain a non-resident library card but very few will allow a non-resident to borrow ebooks using that library card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #51
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Around here, the BC Libraries Cooperative Library2Go will show you different ebook selections depending on which member library you are associated with. They pay for access to the ebooks they think their patrons will want within the limits of their budget. Most BC libraries will allow you to obtain a non-resident library card but very few will allow a non-resident to borrow ebooks using that library card.
That is how overdrive works at my library. They are part of a 3 or 4 library group, but not all books show up under my library. The librarian can then check to see if another library in the group has it (and it's cheaper to 'add' it to our library if they do). Or they can order it or I can join the other libraries (Get a card and borrow directly from them via overdrive). It's probably way more complicated than it needs to be!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #52
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
I heard back from my old library, and they were kind enough to extend my card for 1 month. They also sent me a few links for free books, so thought I'd share them in case some of you might not know about them Denise

PS I'm sure many of you know of these, especially Amazon's.

Amazon offers thousands of free e-books:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=2245146011

Project Gutenberg offers over 53,000 free ebooks.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

Bookrix offers free e-books self submitted by authors.

https://www.bookrix.com/books.html

Open Library is another source for free eBooks.

https://openlibrary.org/
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #53
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google Books also offers millions of free books. Pretty much every PD book available in any library in the US is available on Google Books.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #54
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Google Books also offers millions of free books. Pretty much every PD book available in any library in the US is available on Google Books.
I didn't know about Google Books having so many, thank you much, denise

PS is Google Books a site, or an APP? I'd like to get the right place to find it? Thank you again
Old 01-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #55
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

This is the link to the google "play" store. On the left, you can select books and then begin sorting/searching by title/genre and so on.

https://play.google.com/store
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #56
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
This is the link to the google "play" store. On the left, you can select books and then begin sorting/searching by title/genre and so on.

https://play.google.com/store
Ok, lucky I have that downloaded on my Fire Tablet 7.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #57
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you saying the Brooklyn card is good at other libraries?

Sent from my XT1528
If you have a Brooklyn card you can use that once you link the card with NYPL to use NYPL's digital catalog. The Queens Library will give you a card just for their library. This works regardless of how you acquired the Brooklyn card.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #58
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
If you have a Brooklyn card you can use that once you link the card with NYPL to use NYPL's digital catalog. The Queens Library will give you a card just for their library. This works regardless of how you acquired the Brooklyn card.
I got a note back from the LA library since I live in California, but they don't cater to other counties. I'd so love to belong to a large consortium of libraries (big city) but I've been fortunate in finding all the freebies here on MF. I need to locate a consortium that will allow a non-resident to have a card. Maybe I'll look through the list that was given to me here, on pay-to-belong sites, or reciprocals.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #59
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
I got a note back from the LA library since I live in California, but they don't cater to other counties. I'd so love to belong to a large consortium of libraries (big city) but I've been fortunate in finding all the freebies here on MF. I need to locate a consortium that will allow a non-resident to have a card. Maybe I'll look through the list that was given to me here, on pay-to-belong sites, or reciprocals.
I was assuming you live in Oregon since that's what it says on your profile.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #60
abbynormal52
Groupie

Never assume, I forgot to change my profile for a year and a half ago when I moved here to Northern CA