Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Possibly. But after what you've posted from the FAQ, it's quite possible that what is going on is simply Twitter's anti-spam protocols working as designed.
I think so too. But I wonder why Twitter's anti-spam protocols are effective against me and not against the multitudinous others posting there (with shortened urls).
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
for a moment my heart sunk, as I could see my google profile there! but logged out of google, and now I'm "gone": I presume anyone who is logged in would get the same outcome (i.e. think your google profile is being shown), in case you were thinking of this.
Paola, I am really sorry for any trouble that post with the Google map may have caused you. I really don't know how it got there. I was copying and pasting from one of the Twitter discussion rooms and when I pasted that into my message here in MR it had the map. I tried to delete the map but was unable to. Today, however, I went in and deleted the entire post and the map was deleted too. Again, sorry.
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ditto. Thanks for the heads' up. That's really interesting. Gregg, what did you actually TYPE there?

Hitch
I didn't type anything. I was copying and pasting from a Twitter discussion page and when I pasted into my MR message the map was there. I tried to delete the map at the time but was unable to. Today I went in and deleted the whole post and the map was gone.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

On the other hand, aren't these guys having your sameproblem?
https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/8699
Yes, Paola, those guys are having the same problem. In fact, that's the page I was copying and pasting from (when the map appeared).
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I think so too. But I wonder why Twitter's anti-spam protocols are effective against me and not against the multitudinous others posting there (with shortened urls).
They're sneakier? ;-)

Don't worry about the map.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Sounds like Twitter have beefed up their spam protection. Hash tags were being ruined by spammers posting crap and then piggybacking on a hash tag. I'm guessing this is to filter out that noise. Your followers will still see your tweets containing URLs.

There's probably some relationship between age of your account / amount of followers and whether they allow your tweets with a hash tag and a URL get included in the search. I'd bet on the amount of followers being the key here but Twitter are unlikely to advertise this, it would give the spammers something to aim for.
I think you're right.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks Hitch

Quote:
They're sneakier? ;-)

Don't worry about the map.

Hitch
I needed the laugh.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
It looks like none of your tweets with the hashtag symbol # in front of your links are working as links at all. As suggested, it's probably a way for twitter to control spam.

Links in general, are not supposed to be used with a hashtag, I think. Hashtags are for topics and events, or a way to tag tweets of similar content/themes from many users.
Thanks icedtea.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
You cannot hashtag a link, as a hashtag turns a word into a hastag link, so the conflict is resolved by doing NEITHER.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post
You cannot hashtag a link, as a hashtag turns a word into a hastag link, so the conflict is resolved by doing NEITHER.
Thanks Matth, Not sure what you're saying though. Maybe I didn't explain myself well. If I want my tweet to get to the #kindle stream and I send:

Check out my new ebook. http://amzn.to/10onVdH #kindle

It goes into my stream but NOT into the Kindle stream.

If I send:

Check out my new ebook. #http://amzn.to/10onVdH #kindle

It goes into my stream AND into the Kindle stream. (However the shortened url with that hashtag in front of it is now no longer a link, so no longer click-able. Which is a pain.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Matth, Not sure what you're saying though. Maybe I didn't explain myself well. If I want my tweet to get to the #kindle stream and I send:

If I send:

Check out my new ebook. #http://amzn.to/10onVdH #kindle

It goes into my stream AND into the Kindle stream. (However the shortened url with that hashtag in front of it is now no longer a link, so no longer click-able. Which is a pain.
Gregg:

What you're saying, not to be rude, simply doesn't make sense. I suspect that you just aren't seeing it, because the #kindle hashtag is so heavily used. How are you determining, EXACTLY, please, that it's not displaying in any searches for #kindle? As that's how people will find it, or if they are subscribed to a feed for that tag? Also, how are you placing that shortened link IN the tweet? What service are you using?

Hitch
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If I want my tweet to get to the #kindle stream and I send:

This isn't exactly answering your question, but honestly, do you expect to get people clicking on the link? If I log onto Twitter, happen to click the #kindle tag, and get some random person that I don't know tweeting "Check out my new ebook <LINK>", I'll ignore it.

I strongly suggest you read Giving The Bird: The Indie Author's Guide to Twitter by Benjamin Wallace:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P8BGHG
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #28
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hitch

Quote:
Gregg:

What you're saying, not to be rude, simply doesn't make sense. I suspect that you just aren't seeing it, because the #kindle hashtag is so heavily used. How are you determining, EXACTLY, please, that it's not displaying in any searches for #kindle? As that's how people will find it, or if they are subscribed to a feed for that tag? Also, how are you placing that shortened link IN the tweet? What service are you using?

Hitch
Here's how someone else said it:

I'm building a product that allows user to tweet a link along with the hashtag. But when a tweet is posted that also contains a URL , I find that it is missing from the twitter Search, and the hashtag feed, and appears in both as soon as remove the link.

And someone else:

What I ever I tweet with hashtag, it shows in the stream.

For example:
If I tweeted the following,

unable to see my tweeted link in #mrk634 really frustrated me..

it will show in the MRK634 stream.

However, if I tweeted with a link, such as:

#MRK634 Check out my new post in responding to SEO & Social media topics!! http://ow.ly/gYoSJ

I can’t find my tweets within the stream.

And one last one:

Could it be that Twitter now semi-censors tweets? In other words, does Twitter now use some algorithm to determine how well liked a tweeter is, and then based on that, Twitter decides whether or not to allow that person’s tweets to be displayed in the hasthtag streams/timelines to which they have been — hopefully — directed by the tweeter?

I suspect that you just aren't seeing it, because the #kindle hashtag is so heavily used.

No, even in the mega-slow streams my tweets with shortened urls for my books don't show.

How are you determining, EXACTLY, please, that it's not displaying in any searches for #kindle?

I tweet it. Then I put #kindle in the search box and hit the magnifying glass. The #kindle stream comes up. I click on "all."

Also, how are you placing that shortened link IN the tweet?

My message/ the shortened url link/ the hashtag (without the slashes of course)

eg.

Buy my book. http://amzn.to/10onVdH #kindle

What service are you using?

I used mostly Twitter. I have used Tweetdeck, Hootsuite, and Buffer. For urls I've used the automatic converters of all of them, and I've at times used the ones I converted on bitly or tiny url.

Thanks for trying to help, Hitch.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
This isn't exactly answering your question, but honestly, do you expect to get people clicking on the link? If I log onto Twitter, happen to click the #kindle tag, and get some random person that I don't know tweeting "Check out my new ebook <LINK>", I'll ignore it.

I strongly suggest you read Giving The Bird: The Indie Author's Guide to Twitter by Benjamin Wallace:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P8BGHG
Thanks Russell. Just did 'check out my new book' for brevity's sake. Thanks for the rec. of the Twitter book. Appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks Russell. Just did 'check out my new book' for brevity's sake. Thanks for the rec. of the Twitter book. Appreciate it.
I'm obviously dense, because I just don't understand the problem. I mean...I don't understand how someone (whoever it was) thinks that they can make a hastagged link actually work, because the only people that would see it would be your followers; it wouldn't show up in any of the searched streams, because it would be unique.

Then, I don't understand how your tweet, assuming you've used the hashtag #kindle, doesn't show up in the #kindle stream, unless, as someone else said, Twitter is using ROR (Twitter's still running on Ruby on Rails, isn't it?) to somehow screen spam, but as someone who uses various and sundry Twitter tools, I've yet to see that in action. All those ebook hashtag feeds are, with all due respect, just fountains of spam. Utterly ineffective, BTW, if you want my opinion, unless there's something of genuine interest, e.g., "PW gave my book 5 stars, review at blab-blab." I admit I'll pass up the "check out my book" spams.

However, that is opinion and not part of the answer. You're using Twitter directly, not a Twitter tool, I understand? I honestly don't remember, as I don't use Twitter directly any longer, does Twitter still return your own tweets to you in a search? And when you hit, "all," how many tweets do you get back? But you have Hootsuite shortened urls, so are you using Hootsuite, then? And using a Hootsuite search, or an actual direct twitter search?

n.b.: interesting note, I think; when I just tested the regular, direct-Twitter interface, and did a search on "#kindle," the top 100 or so results I got didn't even HAVE the hashtagged word in the tweets, but had "kindle" as part of the username or something else. I suspect that your tweet is simply getting lost in the ocean of tweets, as I think I said earlier. In fact, I get a completely different set of search results than I do from my Hootsuite account for the identical search at the near-identical time. Clearly, sponsoring is skewing Twitter's search results, ala Google. FWIW.

Hitch