Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
what exactly are you expecting the spare RAM to do - calculations, string parsing, data look ups... tell you stories while you wait...

... RAM is just a dumb store, all the conversion WORK has to be done by the CPUs.... Duh!
Yes cybmole is right. This is what CPU bound means. Your CPUs are flat out and using as much RAM as they need. If you want to speed things up you need faster CPUs. Even if you could get them to use more RAM it will not help, because the CPUs are already going as fast as possible.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #47
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm not going to make a portable 64 bit version, 32-bits are portable, 64-bits are not. There are still lots of 32-bit windows systems around. You might be able to get it to work by manually replacing the contents of the Calibre folder in your 32 bit calibre portable directory with the contents of the the Calibre2 folder from a 64-bit calibre install.
I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind the statement in the first sentence. That said, things do indeed seem to work by replacing the contents with the stuff from the 64-bit version.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #48
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
All of the conversions were accomplished properly, and as the processes were eliminated to 3 cores processing, the fan speed slowed some, but 3 cores continued at 100%. RAM usage didn't change. It's the RAM usage that I need to improve, but I don't know how.

This must not be a problem with anyone else, for no one seems to have voiced a problem. However, I'd like, if possible, to improve this process. I just ordered an aftermarket cooler for the system that should keep the processors cool during the conversions, but, still.....DAD GUMMIT, I'd like to take advantage of all that extra RAM not doing anything!
One way could be to use a RAM disk. And put the temp folder there. I have done just that on my 16GB 8-core Bulldozer system. And I also have my Web browser cache there. I have a Linux system, so I don't really know how to do that in Windows.

If the CPU:s are running at 100 percent it doesn't mean that there isn't some room for improvement. It may be that a large portion of that percentage is used in context switching and handling slow disk writes and reads, instead of actual conversions. But I agree that there may not be a lot to gain. Still it may be fun to try.

It does help a bit, especially when doing large bulk conversions. But I very rarely do that, and when I do I don't mind a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Adoby; 12-11-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@xbingo: In my experience, BEX64 crashes are usually caused by aggressive anti-virus scanners. Try turning off your anti-virus temporarily and see if it works.

@piper28: A portable calibre release is meant to run on as many computers as possible. Lots of computer still run 32 bit windows, so a 64bit portable release will not be portable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #50
xbingo
xbingo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@xbingo: In my experience, BEX64 crashes are usually caused by aggressive anti-virus scanners. Try turning off your anti-virus temporarily and see if it works.

@piper28: A portable calibre release is meant to run on as many computers as possible. Lots of computer still run 32 bit windows, so a 64bit portable release will not be portable.
Thanks for repley!
However the problem is actually cause by my dictionary software!Orz
xbingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #51
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
You know, Cybmole

That kind of response was entirely unwarranted.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #52
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
Thank you, Mr. Adoby

for your reply. I think you understand what I'm trying to say, albeit, somewhat ineffectively.

"Somewhat fun to try."

Yessir, that's EXACTLY the point. I'm not a programmer, as I'd iterated earlier in either this thread or another forum, I'm not sure, but I like to fiddle around with my computer, continually trying to get the most out of it. Calibre, bar none, is my favorite piece of software, all time favorite. And I've been using computers back pre-DOS 2.0, when the hard drive was a cassette tape and the programs were written in Basic. (Radio Shack, Color Computer II). Calibre has more features, more thoughfully created - user friendly and useful aspects, than any other program to which I've been exposed. Mr. Koval and his fellows inspire awe in my opinion, creating Calibre and continually improving it, and offering it free to all that wish to use it.

I someday want, badly, to build me a "bulldozer." For now, an aftermarket cooler will probably have to suffice. I thank all who entered this thread positively to try to assist me in my endeavor. The others? bleh
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #53
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
That kind of response was entirely unwarranted.
I thought it kinda RAMmed home the point

y'know, when Microsoft wrote Vista & then win 7, they thought to themselves why not use any spare RAM that's lying around, so they created intellifetch - which loads up otherwise empty RAM with potentially useful stuff, based on looking at your activity profile to guess what you may need next.

All it got them was a flood of complaints about how wasteful the new O/S was, & how XP was much better because it uses much less RAM

If that unused RAM really bugs you, you could, you know, take it out & send it to Africa to boost some poor kid's ageing rig over there, instead of having it sitting idle.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #54
newez
newez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am Using the 64 Bit Calibre in WIn 7 64 Bit Ultra..
Before now, I put the 32 Bit Calibre in Startup and worked OK..

When I Put the 64 Bit Link In startup Calibre dISSAPEARS AND DOES NOT START CALIBRE..wHEN i tuRN ON Laptop in AM..
I start every Day with Calibre..
Love it..
Gordon L , Media., PA usa..
newez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #55
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newez View Post
I am Using the 64 Bit Calibre in WIn 7 64 Bit Ultra..
Before now, I put the 32 Bit Calibre in Startup and worked OK..

When I Put the 64 Bit Link In startup Calibre dISSAPEARS AND DOES NOT START CALIBRE..wHEN i tuRN ON Laptop in AM..
I start every Day with Calibre..
Love it..
Gordon L , Media., PA usa..
start up link works fine on my win 7 64 bit system
I just removed the x86 bit of the target path property so it now reads:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe"

check that you are not trying to start both versions at once - that could be problematic!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #56
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
check that you are not trying to start both versions at once - that could be problematic!
Hmm, now that's an interesting question. Could one run both the 32 and 64 bit versions at once? Obviously, one wouldn't want them accessing the same library at the same time, but if they were accessing different libraries, would it work? I might have to give this a try at home, I could actually find a use for doing this.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #57
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Hmm, now that's an interesting question. Could one run both the 32 and 64 bit versions at once? Obviously, one wouldn't want them accessing the same library at the same time, but if they were accessing different libraries, would it work? I might have to give this a try at home, I could actually find a use for doing this.
default install paths will have them both using same app data folder. you'd be needing to tweak that I reckon.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to recall their being a semaphore or similar token at the O/S level to prevent multiple instances running.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Trying to run one 32-bit and one 64-bit instance will not work. calibre uses a lock to ensure that only one instance runs per user account. That lock is independent of 32 vs. 64 bits.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #60
Matt9876
Matt9876 began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone SGH-T989
First, I'd like to echo some of the other people in saying thank you for Calibre - it is one of the best and most useful programs I've ever used, and even better, it's free and open-source!

Like at least one other person who posted, after uninstalling the 32-bit version of Calibre and installing the 64-bit version, I was unable to set ebook-viewer.exe as a default program for any file type. In the selection dialogue, I would select the program and it would not appear on the list. After reading this thread, I searched through my registry and found several remaining entries referring to the old Calibre directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\. After I deleted all of these entries from the registry, I was then able to set the newly installed ebook viewer in the C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ directory as a default program like normal.

I have no idea why it wouldn't let me do that in the first place - perhaps there's some kind of bug in Windows 7 having to do with programs with the same file name in different directories? - but in any case, I was able to get it working.
Matt9876 is offline   Reply With Quote