Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Any ideas for hard cases?

Hello--

With all the talks about broken screens lately--I've been thinking it would be nice to get a hard case. Maybe something that went over the leather case, to give the cybook extra protection while traveling.

I was thinking something like this might be nice: http://www.tinboxaus.com.au/product.detail.php?i=281 but the only places I can find that sell boxes of [close to] the right dimensions are wholesale sellers.

Anyone seen anything/have any luck?

Thanks!
Connie

Last edited by Duodora; 06-18-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: whoops bad link
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Nice looking tins at that site, but I think you have to buy in bulk.

Here's a cheapie ( 220 x 150 x 60mm) - cost me $4.95 at the supermarket and included a cake! As you can see it takes a Sony Reader in its cover, stationery and my spectacle case. A bit of foam top and bottom and it's better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fruitcake tin.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	13635  
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Nice looking tins at that site, but I think you have to buy in bulk.

Here's a cheapie ( 220 x 150 x 60mm) - cost me $4.95 at the supermarket and included a cake! As you can see it takes a Sony Reader in its cover, stationery and my spectacle case. A bit of foam top and bottom and it's better than nothing.

I've found that a "travel portfolio" I purchased through Target's online store ($14.95 plus S&H) works quite well to keep the Cybook protected. Granted, it's not all that suitable for *reading* the Cybook as there's no easy way to secure the Cybook inside, but once in (sans softcover-there's no room) and zippered shut, the case gives *REAL* good protection!

Derek
http://www.target.com/Leather-Travel...976468-0346548
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Duodora
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies!

I provided the link more for reference than anything--it's just what I want, but I'm not exactly ready to by 5,000 of them!

I like the idea of something along the lines of the cake tin. I guess it's probably just a matter of stumbling on something like that

Hmm, the case at target looks really nice, and I bet it's really sturdy. I guess I'm sort of looking more for a double layer. I really like the case that came with the cybook for reading with it, I'm just looking for something extra to protect it while it's rolling around in the bottom of a backpack/suitcase!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well I've been using the Wii Game / Accessory Case for my Gen 3. (Here)

While it does not look as professional as the Target case, it does get the job done.

And with a long piece of Velcro Tie, I can turn it on its side to make a nice book stand, which is really handy when I want my hands free, or am lying down.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Duodora
Enthusiast

Hey--thanks for the idea! I was looking for something a bit smaller tho--and found this:

http://www.paperwishes.com/products/7509720000

I'll post pictures when it comes!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
I found a workable hard plastic case in the school supplies section of Longs drugs today. If you bring your Cybook into a drug store or whatever, try looking around that section, where they keep pencil boxes and such. You might find a snug fit like I did. (One nice aspect is that they often have hinged tops, and clasps of some kind to keep them closed. So you don't have to pry off the top as with a tin.)
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Okay, I found the perfect thing... in a cigar shop! If you look around in a place like that, you can probably find a nicely fitting tin (the slim, $5.00 solution). And/or an actual latching mini-briefcase type thing with just enough extra room for accessories like the usb cable, a/c adaptor, and mini-light. (The everything-you-need, $40 solution.) I'll stow my Cybook in the tin for going to work, but will take the mini-briefcase thingy for travel, when I'll need the charger, etc..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
Hey--thanks for the idea! I was looking for something a bit smaller tho--and found this:

http://www.paperwishes.com/products/7509720000

I'll post pictures when it comes!
So, has it come yet? I'm curious to know about the fit. Will the Cybook fit inside (how about with its leather case?)
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Duodora
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
So, has it come yet? I'm curious to know about the fit. Will the Cybook fit inside (how about with its leather case?)
Sorry--I was gone for all of July. It would fit just fine without the leather case, but not with it. It was irritatingly close, but not quite. I posted pictures of what I ended up doing in this same forum--what I found is a bit bulkier, but it works really well for storing the cybook in it's leather case!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
While waiting for the soft cover for my Cybook, I used a plastic game case (DVD case should be ok too) to protect it.
It's a very close fit, I had to cut a space for the power button.
It's not as durable and as protective as a tin case, but it is a quick solution if you don't have a lot of time.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Here is a picture of the cigar tin I got for 5 bucks at a cigar/cigarette shop. A Cybook in the old-style cover fits snugly inside, and seems to be quite well protected. Designs other than the "racey" one shown on the lid of my tin are available, of course.

Note that the newer style covers, at least the black one I bought later on (and is now the type that's included with Cybook purchases from BooksOnBoard), are too big to fit in this tin. Though you can typically find tins and cases of other dimensions in such a shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CigarTin.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	15044  

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 08-08-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Duodora
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
Here is a picture of the cigar tin I got for 5 bucks at a cigar/cigarette shop. A Cybook in the old-style cover fits snugly inside, and seems to be quite well protected. Designs other than the "racey" one shown on the lid of my tin are available, of course.

Note that the newer style covers, at least the black one I bought later on (and is now the type that's included with Cybook purchases from BooksOnBoard), are too big to fit in this tin. Though you can typically find tins and cases of other dimensions in such a shop.
Wow! I like your solution! I wish I'd found that earlier, but I'll keep my eyes out for one
Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't have a hard case, but I found a leather envelope at la bagagerie that I'm very happy with. I don't know if you can find it out of France though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	etui-cybook.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	15231  
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Bit fiddly, I know, but you could always hollow out the inside of a not-wanted hardback book.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote