Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #12946
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm reading Mockingjay now, I'm not liking it as much as the first two but it's not bad.

And I just saw The Hunger Games in theatre, great movie.
I thought it was better than the 2nd book, but I still didn't like it as much as I expected to
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #12947
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Re-reading the Harry Potter series
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #12948
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I thought it was better than the 2nd book, but I still didn't like it as much as I expected to
I finished it last night, I still think the first two were the best but I still give Mockingjay 8/10 stars.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #12949
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished reading Barnburner, by Sharon Lee (co-author of the Liaden series). This is the first of two mysteries set in the fictional town of Whimsy, Maine in the late 1980's. The protagonist is Jen Pierce, a reporter on the local newspaper.

These are short reads (~180 pages), but like everything Ms. Lee writes it is well crafted and well written. The computer/BBS stuff is true to its era, but obviously dated by today's technology, and small town, independent, newspapers like this are certainly rare today, but overall the book is an excellent read and I'm looking forward to the second one, Gunshy. Definitely recommended.
And now have finished Gunshy, the second of the two Jen Pierce/Maine mysteries. I enjoyed it, but it left me sad that this series got dropped and never continued. I'd very much have liked to see how the characters developed. None the less, definitely recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #12950
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. On sale today only 4/18/12 Amazon price matching B&N for $2.99 so I grabbed it. I have intended to read this for ages yet can't seem to bring myself to pick up the hardcover. Well, I thought it was a good rationalization to purchase.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #12951
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Just read the latest Jo Nesbo Harry Hole book, Phantom. Really enjoyed it. It's 6th or 7th in the series and I've enjoyed them all.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #12952
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Since I have been going through my TBR pile and the collected freebies from here, I saw Mystery of the Titanic - A Complete Account With Photos, Newspaper Clippings, & Description. Titanic 100 years: April 15, 1912 to April 15, 2012 (Titanic 100th Anniversary) by Pierre Beaumont "Journalist" - sure it had newspaper clips and photos, but couldn't enlarge or really read them on my K Fire. Thank goodness it was a freebie, as I finally just skimmed it. "Journalist" of what? I didn't even bother to find out.

Switching back to some Egypt themed books, I am about to start The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold. I just picked this up from Tor, when I saw the thread started by Pete731, Free books from Tor, in our Deals forum. It's $7.99 at Amazon published by Macmillan. The reviews are up and down the scale, so it will be interesting to see if I like it.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #12953
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'm done reading Justice Hall. I enjoyed it a whole lot. It seems that since the slight downward slippage of the 3rd book, A letter of Mary, each book since seem to be a bit better than the previous one. This afternoon/evening I'll be beginning to read book 7, The Game.
Wow!! The Game was fantastic. I'm now beginning book 8, Locked rooms.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #12954
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
So I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #12955
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. On sale today only 4/18/12 Amazon price matching B&N for $2.99 so I grabbed it. I have intended to read this for ages yet can't seem to bring myself to pick up the hardcover. Well, I thought it was a good rationalization to purchase.

This is a great book, which many consider to be one Irving's best books.

Enjoy!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #12956
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell - Locked Rooms - a short sample

In Locked Rooms, I just loved this passage (it sure gives you some of the flavor of this series):
Spoiler:
Quote:
Luckily, Holmes had left the drive gate open; in fact, he was standing in the front door-way, watching us approach.

“A bit of first aid, Holmes,” I greeted him with. “Mr Something here took a bullet for me, and needs patching up. I could use a couple of aspirin for my head-ache. And I seem to have lost another hat.”

“Why does it not surprise me that the sound of a pistol would herald the arrival of my wife,” Holmes drawled, and stood away from the door so we could enter.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-20-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spoiler tags added
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #12957
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished another of the Mason books; The Case of the Fabulous Fake by Erle Stanley Gardner. One of his later books, originally copyrighted on November 17, 1969—just four months before his death on March 11, 1970.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #12958
Wholesalestunna
Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wholesalestunna , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iPad
Tripwire by Lee Child. Working on reading my way through the Jack Reacher series
Wholesalestunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #12959
MeiLin
professional daydreamer
MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm currently on a Trollope kick. Now reading "The Prime Minister" (well, audiobook, actually). Also working on "Georgette Heyer's Regency England" and a re-read of Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell."
MeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #12960
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholesalestunna View Post
Tripwire by Lee Child. Working on reading my way through the Jack Reacher series
Big +1 for that. I envy you the chance to read them for the first time (if it is the first?).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote