Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
volume problem. Am i the only one?

Its not that big of a deal, but I just want to know whether I have a defective Kindle or not. When not wearing headphones, does anyone find that the Volume descends to levels that almost can't be heard when moving the Volume down only a little? I find that by the time the volume bar is moved back halfway, the sound can almost not be heard. 2/3 of the way and its as if there isn't any sound. Even when only moved back a little, the sound is not very satisfying (in other words, decent volume can only be attained when set to maximum). At first I thought my sound wasn't working.

I am hoping its just bad software leveling in the design (which I can live with, and can always be fixed through an update), and not my hardware.
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgurt View Post
Its not that big of a deal, but I just want to know whether I have a defective Kindle or not. When not wearing headphones, does anyone find that the Volume descends to levels that almost can't be heard when moving the Volume down only a little? I find that by the time the volume bar is moved back halfway, the sound can almost not be heard. 2/3 of the way and its as if there isn't any sound. Even when only moved back a little, the sound is not very satisfying (in other words, decent volume can only be attained when set to maximum). At first I thought my sound wasn't working.

I am hoping its just bad software leveling in the design (which I can live with, and can always be fixed through an update), and not my hardware.
Which app are you in? alot of apps have a second volume control.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Everything. When I go yo the default sound control in the Fire settings I just begin to faintly hear the sample beep sound when its moved halfway up. Anything below that its as if its on mute almost
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have that same issue. I think it's software related.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have that issue. I would suggest downloading a audio or volume manager maybe one of the settings got messed up by an app you use. There are several hidden sound settings that you can't get to unless you use one of these.

I will say the sound I notice is only low when watching a Prime movie but other then that I don't have that issue.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Blossom,

I am interested in trying a volume manager. Are you able to suggest one?
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Mine is soft too.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Blossom,

I am interested in trying a volume manager. Are you able to suggest one?
I use Quick Settings on my phone but any one that allows you to change volume settings will work.

Volume Manager Free or Volume Manager Pro looks like one to try. It has volume profiles which looks like nice. I may give it a try but I don't have issues with my Volume only with the Amazon videos.

I'm currently listening to some Christmas music on the Cloud player on the Fire. The volume is less then half and I can hear it just fine.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Quick Settings on my phone but any one that allows you to change volume settings will work.

Volume Manager Free or Volume Manager Pro looks like one to try. It has volume profiles which looks like nice. I may give it a try but I don't have issues with my Volume only with the Amazon videos.

I'm currently listening to some Christmas music on the Cloud player on the Fire. The volume is less then half and I can hear it just fine.
I don't think those apps will actually raise the volume any more than the max already allows. Looks like they just manage the volume that is already there.

Carol
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I don't think those apps will actually raise the volume any more than the max already allows. Looks like they just manage the volume that is already there.

Carol
Android has several Volume settings. System\Ringer\Notification\Alarm\ and Media Volume.

Media volume is the one to look at because other apps can mess with it turning it down. A Volume manger app can show if one of the sounds settings is off and you can fix it. All the Volume slider at the top of the Fire does is raise the system volume up and down.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Android has several Volume settings. System\Ringer\Notification\Alarm\ and Media Volume.

Media volume is the one to look at because other apps can mess with it turning it down. A Volume manger app can show if one of the sounds settings is off and you can fix it. All the Volume slider at the top of the Fire does is raise the system volume up and down.
Ah. Thanks for explaining that.

I did check out some Fires in the store and their volume was low too. Hitting the settings and then moving the volume slider like the OP mentioned. I'm curious when you say you were listening to music on the cloud, was this your own Christmas music or through Pandora.

Carol
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ah. Thanks for explaining that.

I did check out some Fires in the store and their volume was low too. Hitting the settings and then moving the volume slider like the OP mentioned. I'm curious when you say you were listening to music on the cloud, was this your own Christmas music or through Pandora.

Carol
I use my Cloud Music and TuneIn Pro. Of course it will be low in a store. Those places are noisy. The Fire works great for a personal Radio. I am seriously impressed with the sound quality of the those speakers. You want them pointing up when you play music. I recommend putting it in a stand and sitting it on a table or desk. This is what I do when I go around my apartment cleaning. I listen to music while doing dishes the old fashion way. I don't have a dishwasher. I am the dishwasher.

I keep the main volume under halfway and in the app half way. The volume in the app moves the Media volume I mention earlier. Other wise those notification sounds would be loud. When playing Angry birds I have to turn the sound way down it's too loud!

The only time I can't hear on the Fire is those movies Amazon offers. I have to use headphone and then It's like I can hear every sound in the movies which kind of creeps me out.

If you need a higher sound buy some MP3 external Speakers to use. They come with a volume control as well. I own some but I find the Fire doesn't need it.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I use my Cloud Music and TuneIn Pro. Of course it will be low in a store. Those places are noisy. The Fire works great for a personal Radio. I am seriously impressed with the sound quality of the those speakers. You want them pointing up when you play music. I recommend putting it in a stand and sitting it on a table or desk. This is what I do when I go around my apartment cleaning. I listen to music while doing dishes the old fashion way. I don't have a dishwasher. I am the dishwasher.

I keep the main volume under halfway and in the app half way. The volume in the app moves the Media volume I mention earlier. Other wise those notification sounds would be loud. When playing Angry birds I have to turn the sound way down it's too loud!

The only time I can't hear on the Fire is those movies Amazon offers. I have to use headphone and then It's like I can hear every sound in the movies which kind of creeps me out.

If you need a higher sound buy some MP3 external Speakers to use. They come with a volume control as well. I own some but I find the Fire doesn't need it.
When I checked it out in the store it was actually pretty quiet in the store. Nobody around and I had my ear right next to the speakers. I think we are probably talking about 2 different things. I was testing as the OP suggested. When in the home screen going to settings and moving the volume control. You will hear a tone when you stop scrolling. This is what is soft unless you scroll 3/4 of the way to high.

On the actual games yes the volume is louder. I have to turn it down. Know what you mean about Angry Birds. That music keeps playing in my head.

I agree on the Amazon Movies. I've streamed them to my TV and the volume from Amazon's movies is lower than that of Netflix's movies.

I do have some external speakers that I've used. Am thinking of getting a more compact one. More portable.

BTW: Tell hubby you NEED a dishwasher.

Carol
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
When I checked it out in the store it was actually pretty quiet in the store. Nobody around and I had my ear right next to the speakers. I think we are probably talking about 2 different things. I was testing as the OP suggested. When in the home screen going to settings and moving the volume control. You will hear a tone when you stop scrolling. This is what is soft unless you scroll 3/4 of the way to high.

On the actual games yes the volume is louder. I have to turn it down. Know what you mean about Angry Birds. That music keeps playing in my head.

I agree on the Amazon Movies. I've streamed them to my TV and the volume from Amazon's movies is lower than that of Netflix's movies.

I do have some external speakers that I've used. Am thinking of getting a more compact one. More portable.

BTW: Tell hubby you NEED a dishwasher.

Carol
Oooh are you saying there is a feedback unless the volume is half way up? Now I am really confused. I thought you meant the volume in general on the Fire is soft unless it's half way up? I have no tone or feedback on mine. Now my PC Speakers do. They drive me nuts. I can hear a call before my cell rings on them.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Oooh are you saying there is a feedback unless the volume is half way up? Now I am really confused. I thought you meant the volume in general on the Fire is soft unless it's half way up? I have no tone or feedback on mine. Now my PC Speakers do. They drive me nuts. I can hear a call before my cell rings on them.
No not feedback. I'm probably explaining it wrong/badly. When on your home screen, tap the settings gear. Then slide the volume down or up. When you stop you will hear a tone. If you stop in the middle of the sliding scale you can hardly hear the tone. If you stop the slide all the way to the right or 3/4 of the way you will hear the tone.

Hope that explains it better.

Carol