Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
Goetz
Goetz began at the beginning.

Device: onix boox note 2
How to improve note taking on PDFs (Note2)

Hello everyone,

I am happy with my Note2, but I'm not completely satisfied with the native pdf reader. It seems that I can't change font size without messing with the document's layout. Also, the document adapts to the Note's screen by leaving wide margins to the sides, but I'm unable to take notes outside the dashed margins line. Is there a workaround for that?
Is there a better app than the native one?
Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
EPW
EPW began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post
Hello everyone,

I am happy with my Note2, but I'm not completely satisfied with the native pdf reader. It seems that I can't change font size without messing with the document's layout. Also, the document adapts to the Note's screen by leaving wide margins to the sides, but I'm unable to take notes outside the dashed margins line. Is there a workaround for that?
Interestingly, I believe this could be solved if ONYX would reinstate the ability to link sidenotes to a page. I have the same problem. A lot of the documents I review simply so not leave enough space for me to take notes in the margins. I could use side notes, but they are the equivalent of having a notepad next to the book. I wish a turn of the page could turn the side note page as well. Then I would have a large enough canvas. I am interested in responses to your post!

Last edited by EPW; 05-26-2020 at 10:55 AM.
EPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
EPW
EPW began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post
Hello everyone,

CLARIFICATION: In response to not being able to take notes outside the page dimensions. I understand it may not be feasible to expand the outer limit of a .pdf page (because it would entail changing the characteristics of the .pdf itself rather than simply allowing annotations, but I believe this could be solved if ONYX would reinstate the ability to link sidenotes to a page. I have the same problem. A lot of the documents I review simply do not leave enough space for me to take notes in the margins. I could use side notes, but they are the equivalent of having a completely separate notepad next to the .pdf. I wish a turn of the .pdf page could turn the side note page as well. Then I would have a large enough canvas. I am interested in responses to your post!

Last edited by EPW; 05-26-2020 at 10:53 AM.
EPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPW View Post
I believe this could be solved if ONYX would reinstate the ability to link sidenotes to a page. I have the same problem. A lot of the documents I review simply do not leave enough space for me to take notes in the margins. I could use side notes, but they are the equivalent of having a completely separate notepad next to the .pdf. I wish a turn of the .pdf page could turn the side note page as well. Then I would have a large enough canvas. I am interested in responses to your post!
There's a setting under 'Global Settings' which lets you associate a sidenote with a page. Have you tried that? I think it should do what you want.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Stevem51
Stevem51 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note 2
Sometimes I print to PDF, send to the Note 2 and then mark it up. I find if I print in landscape then it leaves plenty of space on the right hand side to write notes in. Hope that helps a little.
Stevem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Stevem51
Stevem51 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
There's a setting under 'Global Settings' which lets you associate a sidenote with a page. Have you tried that? I think it should do what you want.
I don't see that option on my Note 2. Any chance of a screenshot? Or are we using different readers.
Stevem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
jsiebenbaum
jsiebenbaum began at the beginning.

Device: likebook muses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem51 View Post
I don't see that option on my Note 2. Any chance of a screenshot? Or are we using different readers.
I believe that option was removed in the current software version.
jsiebenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem51 View Post
I checked this on a Max 2. I do have a Note 2, but I lent it to a colleague just before the lockdown and heaven only knows when I'll next see it. The functionality to associate a sidenote with a page disappeared in version 2.0 in the Max 2, but reappeared in version 2.2 and it's still there in 2.3. I assumed it had also come back on the Note 2, but I haven't been able to check. It would be very odd if they'd reinstated it on the Max 2, but not the Note 2. Anyway, the attached screenshot shows you what the option looks like on the Max 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Sidenote-Option.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	180065  
Old 06-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
Anyway, the attached screenshot shows you what the option looks like on the Max 2.
This line is missing on my Nova2 2.3.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
lensmann
Zealot

Ah, in that case I'm terribly sorry for having misled people. I'm also a lot less happy about having purchased a Note 2 (I lent it out within a couple of days of getting it so I've never really used it, and this makes me wish I'd never bought it). It makes so little sense that they'd withhold a feature from later models which they've included in an earlier model.

I've sent them an email asking them to bring the ability to associate sidenotes with pages to the Note 2 - given that the Max 2 already has it, it surely can't be that hard to port it across. Perhaps if more people ask for it, there's a chance they'll do it in a future firmware release.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:05 AM   #11
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
The Note Pro 2.3.1 has the option. However, it doesn't work as expected. It doesn't seem to work at all. If I turn the page the same note remains. I haven't tried creating multiple note pages and seeing whether it switches to the right note page when I turn pages. I'll check that.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote