Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #1
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
New basic Kindle

How would you call the new basic Kindle model ?
I vote for Kindle Touch 2:
  • It has the same resolution (800x600)
  • as opposed to PW, it lacks built-in light
  • it looks like KT with faster CPU and without audio
  • the product page title says: "Kindle Touch Screen E-Reader"
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
I'd also call it "Kindle Touch 2" or "Kindle Touch 2014".

I wonder what touch technology will be used. Device depth is 10,2 mm and it's similar to older Touch - so maybe IR sensor is back.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I asked this very question last year and the basic response that I got is to wait and see what folkes call it on the forum. I intend to use the titles: basic, paper white and voyage.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
This one showed up on the Canada site, nothing for the Voyage yet.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
  • as opposed to PW, it lacks built-in light
  • it looks like KT with faster CPU and without audio
  • the product page title says: "Kindle Touch Screen E-Reader"
I mentioned the similarities in the Kindle Voyage thread. It is also shares almost the same dimensions (6.7"x4.7"x.4") and weight (6.7 ounces) with the (original) Touch. I think Kindle Touch 2 would be the best way to describe it. It also has all the same features as the Touch (actually a few more), including X-Ray and Translate. It doesn't support sound, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I like simple names, so I'll go with:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for 2014
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
This one showed up on the Canada site, nothing for the Voyage yet.
It looks like the Voyage is about three weeks behind the new Kindle (Touch 2) Basic. The "Touch 2" will be available on October 2nd in the U.S.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't take into account that it's not the size of the Kindle Basic, it's the size of the Kindle Touch. And, to me, that makes a good bit of difference. I like the sleeker, smaller size of the Kindle (non-touch) Basic. (Though I also like some of the features of the Touch -- especially Translate.) The new Kindle Basic (Touch 2) is, in all but name, really just a Kindle Touch reborn. It has the features of the Kindle Touch (minus sound). It even has the same amount of memory as the Kindle Touch (4GBs).

Last edited by rcentros; 09-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like the Voyage is about three weeks behind the new Kindle (Touch 2) Basic. The "Touch 2" will be available on October 2nd in the U.S.
Canada site has the basic for Oct 2nd as well, but still no page for the Voyage. Hope it's not delayed to Canada.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
The Kindle Touch Basic seems more like a downgrade. Bulkier and $10 more than the K4B. Same ppi which I think probably will not pop as much as the K4B since there are more layers on the screen due to it being a touch device. I'm really surprised they didn't try to bump up the PPI to 212. Thanks but no thanks. For $40 more you can get a much better device with the PW2.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Cybrpnk
... in cyberspace
Cybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura about

Device: Homebrew
Quote:
Amazon.com: "Carta e-paper technology, 167 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale".

Last edited by Cybrpnk; 09-19-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Cybrpnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
167 ppi * 6 inches = 1000 pixels diagonally
and 800^2 + 600^2 = 1000^2 according to good old Pythagoras
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Kindle Touch 2
Kindle Touch 2014
Kindle Frugal
PW2 Wannabe
PW2 Jr. Edition

I suppose any of them good.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
Cybrpnk
... in cyberspace
Cybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura about

Device: Homebrew
KT2 (Kindle Touch 2).
Cybrpnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrpnk View Post
Carta e-paper technology, 167 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale.
Actually I believe the new Kindle (touch, 2014) is still Pearl! From the Amazon specs page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Amazon's 6" display with Pearl e-paper technology, 167 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale
Anyone else notice that the Page Title for the webpage is currently: "Kindle Touch Screen E-Reader with light"?! Totes wrong. I'm assuming they will get that fixed rather soon.

Last edited by Anthem; 09-18-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch 2