Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Easy, Reversible Discoloration of Libra and Forma Screen to Fix Unevenness

I know the thread title sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. The light gradient on my Kobo Forma is subtle but it's driving me crazy. I thought I would get used to it, and maybe I still will, but I don't think I can until I've satisfied myself that I've tried everything I can to mitigate it.

The gradient on mine follows the usual pattern. There is a light bar next to the buttons, which doesn't bother me. Next to that light bar is a large darkish patch. With the screen light on, it looks almost like a faint bruise. (See diagram.) My thinking is that there is no way to get rid of that "bruise." But if I can stain the rest of the screen, I can at least make the screen even, which is all I really care about. (See diagram 2)

I have accomplished something like a proof-of-concept already. Using some ballpoint pen ink and a cotton swab, I darkened the brightest areas of my kobo screen pretty effectively. The effect is a marked improvement over the status quo. Unfortunately, the effect is not permanent—it can be worn away using a cloth or even a fingertip. (The longest I've given it to "set" is a half hour—maybe it would become permanent if I gave it longer?)

One possibility that I am considering is darkening the screen and then putting a screen protector on to hold the ink in place. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Please see my most recent post in this thread for more information. I believe I have found a workable solution, and it greatly improves the experience of reading on my Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.png
Views:	149
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	179433   Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram 2.png
Views:	143
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	179434  

Last edited by TheRealJohnAdams; 06-12-2020 at 10:58 AM.
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
As you had to preface your post with a "hear me out", I have to preface mine with an assertion I mean what I am about to say without snark.

This is my favourite post ever in this forum and I hope that someone who works for Kobo gets to see it.

JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since you mentioned not being bothered by the sidebar of suck, which I previously assumed was your main issue with the device, random requisite remark that an uneven *vertical* gradient is grounds for requesting a replacement device.

(As opposed to an even but slight *horizontal* one, which makes sense given the tech, and is nonexistent to extremely faint on Formas in my experience).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This makes no sense if you are using the reader in higher ambient light. It's only valid if you have no electricity.
A separate removable overlay stained on the underside is the way to go.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm thinking some kind of nail polish, but then I don't wear it so I can't comment on the efficacy or lack thereof.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This makes no sense if you are using the reader in higher ambient light. It's only valid if you have no electricity.
A separate removable overlay stained on the underside is the way to go.
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it, but I notice the lighting gradient even under reasonably bright light. And besides, I like to read at night with the lights off, which is one of the reasons I like ereaders so much.

I think you are right about an overlay being necessary, but I think I will need to apply the stain to the Kobo anyway—the screen protectors all have an adhesive on the underside. To stain the underside, I would have to rub a cloth or brush against the underside, which would not work well with the adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm thinking some kind of nail polish, but then I don't wear it so I can't comment on the efficacy or lack thereof.
I considered that (and some related possibilities like translucent glass paint, or even spray-on window tint), but I think nail polish and paint create a layer on top of the thing being painted. This means that they can flake off, have a different texture and sheen, and probably will interfere with the touchscreen. I think we need something akin to wood stain, which gets into the wood itself and changes the color of the wood, rather than sitting on top of the wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Since you mentioned not being bothered by the sidebar of suck, which I previously assumed was your main issue with the device, random requisite remark that an uneven *vertical* gradient is grounds for requesting a replacement device.

(As opposed to an even but slight *horizontal* one, which makes sense given the tech, and is nonexistent to extremely faint on Formas in my experience).
Sorry for the miscommunication, then. Do you mean that a "vertical gradient" of the kind in my first diagram (where there is a big dark patch that happens not to extend all the way up and down the screen) is uncommon? I probably will not do the replacement program, because I don't want to go without an ereader for a month. But I may just buy another one from Walmart and return the one I have.

Last edited by TheRealJohnAdams; 05-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you're serious about this, I'd suggest buy a cheap and/or busted e-reader to test it on first.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Since an overlay seems necessary, why not 2? Apply the stain/tint to the nonadhesive portion of a screen protector, then apply a 2nd screen protector on top of the 1st so the stain/tint is sandwiched between 2 protectors and you are free to adhere the bottom layer to the e-reader.

2 possible problems with my suggestion:
1. Not sure if it is possible to stain the screen protector
2. I'm not sure what having 2 screen protectors would do to the responsiveness of the touch screen.

I also considered tinted sheet protectors, but I think they would not be translucent enough to reduce your gradient.

Of course, there is always the possibility of requesting a new device if you are still within your warranty period, as a previous poster recommended.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could also test it by applying a graphique process to an image then opening it in the reader. This will give you an idea how effective it would be.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you apply the stain, you invalidate the warranty. Don't do it. It's a really bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
KittyNin
KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.KittyNin is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Why not get something like window tint and apply it to a screen protector? That would be removable and not involve putting liquid on your electronic device?

Absolutely do not use nailpolish, I don't know what the kobo is made of, but I do know that some nailpolish will melt some plastic. Also getting it remotely even would be virtually impossible.
KittyNin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do not have any of these issues on my kobo devices. Perfect lighting all around. Now I had some kindles/nooks with wonky lighting
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've seen electronics stained and very disgusting from people smoking. Very nasty.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen electronics stained and very disgusting from people smoking. Very nasty.

You mean like someone's teeth?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You mean like someone's teeth?
Like the computer stinks and there is all this crap inside from smoking. It's very nasty.