Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #61
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Once you find a suitable acid rock, then you need to figure out where to apply it on the DX, and how high to drop it from.
Tee hee hee. You know some idiot paid top dollar for that little cutie dinosaur... (okay that idiot was me)

Don't say bad things about her, she may brick
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Still working

Haven't crashed it yet:
Code:
top - 11:50:54 up 12 days, 11:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.11, 0.13
Tasks:  29 total,   1 running,  28 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu0  : 17.0%us,  5.2%sy,  1.9%ni, 72.2%id,  2.5%wa,  0.0%hi,  1.1%si,  0.0%st
Cpu1  : 17.4%us,  7.0%sy,  1.6%ni, 72.4%id,  1.6%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu2  : 14.6%us,  4.3%sy,  1.6%ni, 78.0%id,  1.4%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu3  : 13.8%us,  3.9%sy,  1.5%ni, 79.5%id,  1.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st
Cpu4  : 44.0%us,  6.7%sy,  4.7%ni, 43.2%id,  1.4%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu5  : 34.5%us,  5.1%sy,  3.6%ni, 55.2%id,  1.5%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Cpu6  : 30.1%us,  8.0%sy,  3.0%ni, 57.5%id,  1.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
Cpu7  : 57.3%us,  6.0%sy,  6.7%ni, 23.6%id,  1.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  5.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    921600k total,   252752k used,   668848k free,        0k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   147324k cached
With TW, the routine is to keep enabling things until the server crashes -
Then from that set, remove a few features.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #63
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I move slow the top nav menu disappears before I to the sub - as an aside

However if I get someone young to help move it fast we can make it

Looking very shiny now
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
If I move slow the top nav menu disappears before I to the sub - as an aside

However if I get someone young to help move it fast we can make it

Looking very shiny now
Still working on it.

I have seen the same thing myself about that top menu bar.
Not yet sure what it may be.

I think it is the browser failing to load all of the java scripts.
The server has a connection limit set, I think at 5 connections per client.

Some browsers, in a search for loading speed, open 6 or more connections per view. Which means one or more of something doesn't get loaded.

I will check the logs when I get a chance, but until then, try a different browser. Or, just try multiple "refresh" actions on the same page - until the browser caches all of the java script.

(A browser other than IE-6, this TW version dropped support for IE-6)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
twobob

yeah. its a non issue. just reporting, like a good little tester
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #66
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
hi,
don't get what the practical implications of a lower framebuffer are. is that of relevance to a non-hacker? tried to look it up, but unsuccessfully.
thanks.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

It is a play on (technical) words.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #68
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Arrow framebuffer mini tutorial

All of the eink kindles (so far) use a 4-bit framebuffer at the hardware level. That means that you can only display pixels in 16 different shades of gray. To display more than 16 colors, you need to use dithering, which mixes those 16-colors spatially to give up to 256 different AVERAGE brightness levels.

In the case of kindles with 8-bit framebuffers, the bottom and top 4-bits must be identical, or unpredictable (hardware dependent) side-effects will result (according to comments in the eink driver GPL source code).

But for smooth animation, you can really only use 2-bit (black and white) and you need to dither only those two colors to get full grayscale. There is some sample C code showing how to do this dithering, in the "newtrix" demo (both 2-bit and 4-bit dithering).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #69
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is the only [techincal] thread about Paperwhite in Developer's Corner at the moment, so I leave this information here: /usr/bin/powerd in Kindle Touch firmware already knows about magnetic sensor. To see it:
Code:
strings /usr/bin/powerd | grep -i mag
So there is another trace of Paperwhite hardware support (sensor for going to sleep on cover closing) in current Kindle Touch software.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #70
twobob

hmm... or perhaps the hint of a magic button?

There was some talk of using a device internally on the DX (and perhaps the KpW) to enable the mode shift.

This stuff could be easily re-purposed for such a task, as an idle thought.

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added reasoning
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #71
twobob

on the 3.4:

[root@kindle root]# strings /usr/bin/powerd | grep -i mag
Quote:
system/daemon/powerd/DRIVER_MAGSENSOR
W def:magnostate::Invalid mag sensor event - no state information
D def:mag senror event. state=%s (%s:%s:%d)
I def:magopen::Mag sensor open event
I def:magclose::Mag sensor closed event
W def:msgstate:state=%s:Invalid mag sensor event - unknown state
e_mag_sensor_open
e_mag_sensor_closed
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #72
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
on the 3.4:

[root@kindle root]# strings /usr/bin/powerd | grep -i mag
Thanks for checking.

Yep, the same I've seen on KT. So it means I was wrong when I thought it's implemented specifically for Paperwhite. Looks like it's an artifact of support of earlier Kindle model. Sorry for false alarm.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eureka: Or that they're using the same codebase for the low-level stuff .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #74
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eureka: Or that they're using the same codebase for the low-level stuff .
^ My thoughts.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Thanks for checking.

Yep, the same I've seen on KT. So it means I was wrong when I thought it's implemented specifically for Paperwhite. Looks like it's an artifact of support of earlier Kindle model. Sorry for false alarm.
Heck, no apology needed that's great info!!

next up. we need someone to write some code to monitor that and wave magnets around a DX / Kpw might be fun : D

meh okay it might not be fun, would be nice to know though : )

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, prefixes, techincal