Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 06-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Wikipedia

Im not sure this fits here but could not find another category to put it in.

I just want to know if this is able to be converted over for isilo.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...abase_download there is a mention of it about being converted forPPC and tomeraider but i would like to use it in isilo format.

there is a size limit with tomeraider and I just think it would look nicer in isilo format.

Any help?

David
Old 06-19-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
archituz
Connoisseur
archituz doesn't litterarchituz doesn't litter

I've installed Wikipedia on TomeRaider on the CF card of my Handera 330. It's pretty awsome and very big! The format they provide is fine IMHO. It comes in 4 files-- A to C, D to H, and so on--- which is the only downside-- because in order to go to links outside the file you are viewing, you need to close that file and go to the other file. Otherwise it's great. I think iSilo format would be great if it could be one big file and the links would continue to work.
Marty
Advert
Old 06-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Sounds good.

I was hoping also to get some feedback from maybe Alex or someone with more experience than what I have to let me know if it is possible to do the conversion in isilo.

I just do not have the free disk space to attempt the conversion.

David
Old 06-20-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by Harpgliss
Sounds good.

I was hoping also to get some feedback from maybe Alex or someone with more experience than what I have to let me know if it is possible to do the conversion in isilo.

I just do not have the free disk space to attempt the conversion.

David
Heh, hi Harpgliss. I am officially on my vacation right now, had a good flight this morning and spent the rest of the entire day on the beach.

I promise I will try to make it work with iSilo asap.

Sunny greets
Old 06-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #5
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
There is no limit on a file size for Palm that I know of (except for storage space, and there is a limit if 64K for a database record, and of course, the 4k memo limit)...but specific programs may/will limit the size of a data file it can handle (thus the TomeRaider splits). IOTW, if a program needs to pull the full data file into RAM to work with, then obviously the WikiPedia wouldn't work. BTW, OS6 is said to remove a lot of the limitations such as the 4k memo, etc.

Converting to iSilo is another issue, and a lot of work, but probably doable. WikiPedia offers a full mySQL data dump, so it would be a matter of scripting a processing routine to turn that into something more usable. It would have to be done that way vs. a site pull, since the WikiPedia developer has explicitly asked people not to webcrawl the site...which makes sense...could tie up the thing from normal use. I'll talk to Alex about whether a conversion to iSilo is practical (as in, relatively easy to set up).

But, who would really use it? How many of use have the 125-150mb free on a ms stick or SD or whatever? Feasibility is one thing...practicality is another! If it could be boiled down to <128mb, then it would makes sense (for Sony folks) to carry an extra 128mbMS that just had WikiPedia on it.

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 06-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Any idea which file is the right one? There are plenty of files to download:

http://pliny.wikipedia.org/tarballs/
Old 06-20-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Database dumps are here:

http://download.wikipedia.org/

php scripts for using the dump here (don't know how that would help, since it's not practical to install the full thing on this server!):

http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/

database schema explained here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/v...viewcvs-markup

Gary
Old 06-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
Harpgliss
Member Retired

Thanks for the replies,Gary, I am currently using a DVD site that i converted that is 58MB at this time.

So I would use the whole thing if it fit on a 128MB stick.

Alex,sorry for interrupting your vacation.Enjoy yourself.

I am not able to do a conversion of this size until i get my new(used) computor but thought ahead so that is where i am.

Again, thanks for the replies and look forward to seeing what comes of this.

David

Should have the computor any day now.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
SirOops
SirOops began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim Pocket PC
Look at http://members.chello.nl/epzachte/Wikipedia

You will find lots of info about Wikipedia for Pocket PC/Palm/EPOC using TomeRaider text browser.

There is also a link to a Perl script.
http://members.chello.nl/epzachte/Wi.../WikiToTome.pl

This Perl script processes the Wikipedia SQL dump and produces mentioned files.

Feel free to adapt it to other database managers.

And yes, handheld memory is expensive, but prices are falling steadily. I'm glad I bought a compact flash compatible device. CF is way ahead in capacity and low in price (I use a 1GB card).