Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 05-20-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
ravem
ravem began at the beginning.

Device: palm m105 palm m500
Thumbs up Papers from all around the world

Hi all

maybe this is a little off topic here, but I think it will be a good starting point for someone.

These pages have comprehensive collections of links to papers from all around the world.

http://www.ipl.org/div/news/
http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/
http://www.newz.info/
http://www.giornali.info

Hope someone find it useful

bye
Old 05-20-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Wow, such riches! I've bookmarked all those sites and will look through them and the newspapers they link to over the next 50 years or so (if I live to be 102).

Unfortunately, most newspaper websites aren't suitable for clipping with iSilo or Plucker because of having frames or huge lists of links on the sides of the page. I guess that this is the problem that HandStory script clips are meant to deal with, but I just wish someone could tell me how to actually write a script clip that works!
Advert
Old 05-21-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
ravem
ravem began at the beginning.

Device: palm m105 palm m500
Quote:
Originally posted by BasilC
Wow, such riches! ... (if I live to be 102).
Unfortunately, most newspaper websites aren't suitable for clipping with iSilo or Plucker ...
I hope to send you birthday greetings when you'll be 102

I've the same problem with frames and heavy javascript use..
I think that's possible to strip out javascript and extract
a frame from a page with php, but I'm a php expert, so I'll ask around and let you know.

Bye
Old 05-21-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree those portal pages from ravem are amazing. I am sure I can find some undiscovered gems there that can be converted for iSilo.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by ravem
I hope to send you birthday greetings when you'll be 102

I've the same problem with frames and heavy javascript use..
I think that's possible to strip out javascript and extract
a frame from a page with php, but I'm a php expert, so I'll ask around and let you know.

Bye
Ravem, I look forward to the birthday greetings - put February 6th 2051 down in your diary. The way things are going, I'll get a telegram from the Queen or King when I'm 100, but let's hope the UK has managed to progress to become a republic by then. Still, even if it hasn't, at least we'll all be carrying the equivalent of Cray supercomputers in our pockets and they'll only be a quarter of the thickness of a Clie 625.

By the way, what's php when it's at home?

What I was thinking of was using the HandStory script editor. There are detailed instructions for using it here (click on the "Clip Script" tab in the frame on the LH side), but my attempts to follow them have all been total failures. I guess it would help if I knew a bit about html. I seem to remember, back in the early days of the Turcic forums, that we were told that HandStory were going to rewrite the clip script manual so that us ordinary mortals stood slightly more chance of successfully writing scripts, but so far nothing has emerged. Perhaps Alexander has some information?
Advert
Old 05-21-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by BasilC
Ravem, I look forward to the birthday greetings - put February 6th 2051 down in your diary.
Make that 2053 - maths never was my strong subject!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:22 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have a nice one to add:

http://www.newspapers.com/

Greets!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
Excellent links...thanks!!