Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 03-08-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Updates, sync and scheduling

I'm hoping that there are others here that can help me out. I'm trying to figure out when some of my channels are updating. I'm guessing that those that have been reading any of the following for awhile (and synching often) probaby can tell me what day of the week The Onion updates it's mobile page content for example.

Here are my regularly sync'd channels, and the info I have on how often they are updated. Please correct me where I'm wrong, and if anyone can provide more information (time of update, day of week, etc.), I would appreciate it.

AccuWeather (daily)
BBC News 1 (daily
Dilbert ("updated daily at 9:00am EST")
ESPN NBA (daily)
ITWeb Daily (weekly? "Issued: 05 Mar 2004" displayed on 05 Mar)
Metacritic (weekly?)
MovieHabit.com
Salon.com (daily, some sections have older articles)
Slate (daily, all sections?)
Smirking Chimp (daily, "20 most recent articles" usually includes 10 from today, 10 from yesterday)
The Onion (weekly?)
The Onion a.v. Club (weekly?)
Wired.com (weekly?)
Yahoo News (daily)
Old 03-08-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is a good thread! Hope someone can help you and that we can expand the list.
Advert
Old 03-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

Glad that there is some interest. I think this could prove very useful to the community.

If only content providers would adopt the simple concept that the Dilbert site does. (but then, that would be too easy...
Old 03-09-2004, 05:53 AM   #4
wumpi
Enthusiast
wumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it iswumpi knows what time it is

I think a weekyl sync of Wired.com & The Onion is sufficiant.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpi
I think a weekyl sync of Wired.com & The Onion is sufficiant.
Right. Both update weekly. But I'm wondering what day of the week those sites update.
Advert
Old 03-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I'm fairly certain that the Onion updates on Wednesdays, which is easy enough to check, seeing as today is Tuesday. I believe that Wired updates on Mondays, but of that I am less certain. I can't help with the others...
Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I believe that Wired updates on Mondays...
Looks like I was wrong on this one. I guess that Wired updates the news sporadically throughout the week. I noticed an update Monday and it has already been updated again.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

The Onion definitely updates on Wednesdays. I just noticed it's dated with the issue number at the top of the page... (I'm not as smart as I look)