Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
A questions about PW quality control

I want to buy an used PW2, met two peoples. Unfortunately, both has a dead pixels on the screen(one has two and one has one). It is very bright pixels(someone said it is not dead pixel, it is just imperfection). I am just wondering is this common quality control issue or just bad luck. I have a PW1 and it is fine.

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have a PW2 that, I no longer use since getting my voyage that I have seen no issues with.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reminder, please: Take this to the Flea Market, if anyone will be making any deals.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Reminder, please: Take this to the Flea Market, if anyone will be making any deals.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Not wanting to sell it.
It is my backup.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't see anything that looks like a dead pixel on my PW2. Sometimes some dirt or dust on the screen can make it appear so, but I haven't had any issues that didn't clean off.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You can do a search on this forum for "pinholes". I remember quite a few people posting about these when the PW1 and PW2s were first released. I'm not sure how prevalent the problem is, but certainly not unusual. Personally, I don't have any pinholes on my PW2 (or on my Voyage).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a PW1 and a PW2. In the past I had another one of each but without 3G which are now being used by friends. I live in a retirement home with a number of Paperwhite users. I've yet to see my first dead pixel on any ereader.

I've also had quite a few other Kindles and Kobos and Nook e-ink readers as have many of my neighbors. Still no dead pixels.

They happen and when something happens now and then you're liable to run into two of them. The odds are in favor of that occasionally happening. But I don't think it's at all common.

In all the many Kindles I've had and dealt with the only problem I've ever seen was when a Basic Kindle of about 2 years ago was returned to me by a friend with a scratched screen. Even though it was obviously user error Amazon cheerfully replaced it for me under warranty.

These things are good. So is Amazon.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
All I know is IF its a Dead Grey spot don't buy. I don't understand a Bright white spot since the e-ink readers don't have Backlights.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
All I know is IF its a Dead Grey spot don't buy. I don't understand a Bright white spot since the e-ink readers don't have Backlights.
I've never seen one myself, but this seems possible if the laser cutting the pits into the light distribution layer hiccups and creates a defect that allows light to leak out in the wrong direction.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I've never seen one myself, but this seems possible if the laser cutting the pits into the light distribution layer hiccups and creates a defect that allows light to leak out in the wrong direction.
Lights are LED like in a flashlight ...Not cutting Laser! Just tiny light bulbs.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Lights are LED like in a flashlight ...Not cutting Laser! Just tiny light bulbs.
They meant the lasers used during the manufacturing process, not the lights on the Kindle itself.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I haven't seen this personally but I've read that a bright spot can result from scratching or poking the layer of the screen that distributes the light. I wonder if that's what he's seeing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've had pinholes on a kobo Aura but never on a Paperwhite and I've had every model of Kindle ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
I want to buy an used PW2, met two peoples. Unfortunately, both has a dead pixels on the screen(one has two and one has one). It is very bright pixels(someone said it is not dead pixel, it is just imperfection). I am just wondering is this common quality control issue or just bad luck. I have a PW1 and it is fine.

Thanks
From my experience, and the experience of friends and others on this forum, it seems to be fairly common. There was a lot of talk about it on here when the PW 1 and 2 came out. I have one on my PW2, but it's in such a place where it doesn't bother me too much.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yep, the pinhole effect is likely from an imperfection on the surface of the light layer that sit on top of the eInk screen. Whether it is a bubble due to faulty manufacturing, or a scratch, or whatever, it creates a very tiny, but bright pinhole of light on the screen. Some PWs had one or more of them, many, perhaps most, did not. But there were some PWs that had several pinholes. They do not effect the operation of the PW, but they might bother the user as s/he reads due to the distraction of a tiny bright spot on a page.