Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
mneimeyer
mneimeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Android / iOS
Moon+ Yay! Kindle Hardware Yay! Kindle Ecosystem Meh...

I've used my husband's Kindle Paperwhite 2 on occasion and I really like the hardware. Reading on eInk is a lot easier on my eyes. The weight is great. The size-in-hand is great. Etc. I'm not, however, a fan of the Kindle Ecosystem for no GOOD reason but I just can't get into it.

That said, normally I read using Moon+ on my Android phone AND on BlueStacks on my PC. I like the syncing across devices. I like the COPS OPDS integration. Etc.

I've been looking for an Android eInk reader but almost everything I've found is outdated or wrong for me. Either the product isn't being sold anymore or it is a huge 10+ inch tablet or the reviews I can find of it are really poor.

Can anyone recommend a current(ish) eInk reader that will run Moon+, is reliable and won't break the bank? While I'm wishing... Waterproof? Oh... Android isn't required but I assume to run Moon+ it will need to be.

Thanks!
mneimeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've read in a few discussions that Moon+ is a bit clumsy on an E-ink reader. It's not designed with e-ink in mind and it's a pretty different technology with different issues. Of course I'm just repeating what I've read. I haven't tried it myself.

I read on my various Kindles and on my phone using Moon+. I prefer Moon+ on a phone because I prefer the small screen. I also like that it scrolls although the Kindle app now does that, too.

For me the ideal would be a phone with e-ink and there are such things but I've never really looked into it because of the concerns about Moon+ and e-ink screens.

The real problem with all of this is lack of choice. Ereaders are made by companies who don't care about ereaders. They care about selling books. They know they have to make good devices in order to sell books and they do. But there's very little variety.

A much nicer system would be where various hardware manufacturers who don't sell books make ereaders that work with any ebooks and compete with one another. We'd have to pay more for them but we'd each get what we wanted. I doubt that'll happen but I wish it would.

As for the Amazon ecosystem, I think it's pretty good. It could be better but there's nothing about it that bothers me. I buy my books from Amazon. I've looked into buying books from B&N and Kobo. I have Nooks and Kobo readers. But I find Amazon to be less expensive a lot of the time and have the books I want most of the time and they make them easy to buy and stand behind them when there are problems.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
I use it in onyx nova and it's perfect. I suppose that likebook mars also does the job. They had good screens and specs.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
As for the Amazon ecosystem, I think it's pretty good. It could be better but there's nothing about it that bothers me. I buy my books from Amazon. I've looked into buying books from B&N and Kobo. I have Nooks and Kobo readers. But I find Amazon to be less expensive a lot of the time and have the books I want most of the time and they make them easy to buy and stand behind them when there are problems.
Agreed. I have a Kobo, and have owned Kobos since the Aura HD came out, but I do my ebook buying at Amazon. Like you, I find them the cheapest most of the time, and their 'Buy with one click' is exactly that. No other ebook seller makes it as easy. And as long as their DRM is vulnerable, conversion to EPUB is trivial.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I, too, have an Onyx Nova, and Moon+ works very well with it.

The Nova, with a 7.8 inch display, is larger than the Paperwhite and more expensive. Not sure if the Nova would be too big and/or expensive for the OP's needs. I'd suggest looking at the Poke Pro. 6 inch display, Android 6.0, and less expensive than the Nova. But if you can swing the extra money, get the Nova. The Nova Plus is the less expensive one now - no stylus. The Nova Pro has the stylus. Other than that, they are essentially the same.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've read in a few discussions that Moon+ is a bit clumsy on an E-ink reader. It's not designed with e-ink in mind and it's a pretty different technology with different issues. Of course I'm just repeating what I've read. I haven't tried it myself.

I read on my various Kindles and on my phone using Moon+. I prefer Moon+ on a phone because I prefer the small screen. I also like that it scrolls although the Kindle app now does that, too.

For me the ideal would be a phone with e-ink and there are such things but I've never really looked into it because of the concerns about Moon+ and e-ink screens.

The real problem with all of this is lack of choice. Ereaders are made by companies who don't care about ereaders. They care about selling books. They know they have to make good devices in order to sell books and they do. But there's very little variety.

A much nicer system would be where various hardware manufacturers who don't sell books make ereaders that work with any ebooks and compete with one another. We'd have to pay more for them but we'd each get what we wanted. I doubt that'll happen but I wish it would.

Barry
The best reader software on an Android device would theoretically be bookari. It has a non-color e-ink mode option and the e-ink eReader mode probably optimizes it more than that. I rooted my Nook Glowlight plus 7.8inch eReader and put bookari on it but I noticed a strange thing or possibly bug. Part of the text would be slightly split , like geological plate tectonics, on downslope right angle. I wasn't using the latest version of bookari apk, though, so maybe it is fixed now. I did not use the latest version because unless I totally put android like lineageOS on my system the google play store does not work and that is the only way to buy the latest version otherwise the older apks are free on the internet.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-20-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
onyx poke is 6" and will run moon+ no problem. It has a nice color changing comfort light and is very light. Be warned all Android ereaders have a much lower battery life between charges, like every few days.

Also if you can jailbreak the Kindle, try koreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote