Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #16
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have a Mini with expanded memory. Just because it's small shouldn't be limited to less books stored. Front light would be nice.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I am satisfied enough with my KAO, but it is not perfect, so my perfect Kobo is:

8" or 8.5" screen, perfect light with comfortlight and 190 g.

Kepub with ligatures so I could abandon Epub.

I don't care about buttons but I have never had them so may be I could like them very much. And I do not care about sound, it can be better done with a phone or a tablet.

All the patch we install should be options in the main firmware (I know that settings would be enormous but at least the ones I use should be there ) The same for hidden features.

The quality of touch should be much better than KAO because it is terrible. Also for wifi (on my KAO it is not good). Faster software without lag when You touch it in choosing books or settings (turning page is not so bad). And a decent pdf handling, just like KOReader.

Last edited by ps67; 09-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Kepub with ligatures so I could abandon Epub
You know you can patch to have ligatures in kepub right? I started a thread about it here.

Though I do think ligatures should be in place by default.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I tried enabling ligatures but the side effect it has (bigger spaces between words appearing at random, at least when the text is justified) is something I can't help but noticing, and it bothers me greatly while reading. The absence of ligatures doesn't. But I would assume that's a personal thing.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #20
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I tried enabling ligatures but the side effect it has (bigger spaces between words appearing at random, at least when the text is justified) is something I can't help but noticing, and it bothers me greatly while reading. The absence of ligatures doesn't. But I would assume that's a personal thing.
This is the reason for wich I also abandoned that patch after some days. Better no ligatures than bigger spaces between words appearing at random (may be not completely random, in this forum somebody studied the issue).

Last edited by ps67; 09-18-2019 at 08:28 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I tried enabling ligatures but the side effect it has (bigger spaces between words appearing at random, at least when the text is justified)...
That is a a problem. But it seems weird that Kobo has never paid attention to that and fixed it.

When I say ligatures should be enabled by default, they should be and the word spacing should be fixed. Amazon has managed it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #22
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
A 7" flush screen with page turn buttons in the bottom bezel. The bottom bezel also larger than the other 3 bezels.

For me, really the most comfortable way to hold an ereader is with one (or both) thumbs on the front side of the bottom bezel, and the rest of the fingers touching the back. Having page turn buttons there would be ideal.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #23
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
A 7" flush screen with page turn buttons in the bottom bezel. The bottom bezel also larger than the other 3 bezels.

For me, really the most comfortable way to hold an ereader is with one (or both) thumbs on the front side of the bottom bezel, and the rest of the fingers touching the back. Having page turn buttons there would be ideal.
You can get this effect if you turn the Libra to landscape orientation with the buttons on the bottom.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You can get this effect if you turn the Libra to landscape orientation with the buttons on the bottom.

Shari
Or the Forma.

Drawback of the Libra is the screen isn’t flush. Drawback of the Forma is it’s an inch bigger. Which is more of a drawback is of course up to the individual to decide.

I’d also like to add to my previous description that I’d want the bezel to be a matte black rather than the semi gloss currently used. I can get this effect with a skin from decalgirl but it’s less than ideal since applying it perfectly is nigh impossible.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #25
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Shari
I'd love to hear what it's like to use this way for extended periods. I'm still saving up for my Libra, but reading it this way is something I'm thinking of doing when I do get one.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'd love to hear what it's like to use this way for extended periods. I'm still saving up for my Libra, but reading it this way is something I'm thinking of doing when I do get one.
I don't have a Libra, but I have read Calvin and Hobbes on my Forma in landscape. Granted it's not a novel, so the experience may vary, but it wasn't bad. The Forma, and I imagine the Libra, is well balanced. And if you hold it in landscape with your fingers supporting the back and use your thumb to page forward/backward it's comfortable.

Personally I feel like I get less text this way, though I haven't tested it, and that bothered me. But I may also be an outlier in how far I will go to get as much text on the screen as possible. My Forma running 4.17 is patched and the font size, and line spacing is tweaked to the point that the marigins are pretty much the thickness of the progress bar. And if I could get them half again thinner I probably would.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #27
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
My Forma running 4.17 is patched and the font size, and line spacing is tweaked to the point that the margins are pretty much the thickness of the progress bar.
This is very similar to how I have my H2O2 at present, no header, no footer, custom margins, shrunk footer size, only progress bar showing. I might try enabling landscape on my H2O2 to see how much text I lose, while remembering the Libra is fractionally bigger
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #28
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:

Shari
Yes, landscape is a really comfortable way to hold the Libra for me. Nice and stable hold at the bottom and it turns it into a symmetrical device, which I find much more ergonomic. But I just don't like reading in landscape, as the lines become too long. You can increase the margins but you end up with a lot of white space and it's a bit of a waste of the large screen.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #29
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I would like an ereader with a skinnier aspect ratio so that I can fit it in my pocket.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I have both the Kobo Aura One and the Kobo Forma. My ideal reader would be the KAO, but with the lighter weight and thinness of the Forma! Geek's patch that lets a tap anywhere page forward eliminated, for me, the need/advantage of page turn buttons.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote