Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-300 vs PB360

Would be interested in hearing people's feedback between the two units.
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PB360 "wipes the floor" with the PRS-300, IMHO.

Benefits of the PB360:

- Clip-on cover which provides excellent protection without having to carry a case around.
- SD card slot.
- Dictionary support.
- Text highlighting/clipping.
- Full folder-based file system.
- More recent version of ADE software, so much better rendering of ePub/PDF files.
- User replaceable battery.
- Frequent software updates, which add new functionality frequently.
- No custom software required.

There's just absolutely no comparison between the two machines for me. The PB360 is better in every way. The Sony is somewhat cheaper, but you get what you pay for, and with the PB360 you're getting a whole lot more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I agree with everything HarryT said about the PB 360. If you really need the same price point, I would look at the Astak/Hanlin 5 device. It also wipes the floor with the 300 for feature sets. It doesn't come with a nifty clip on cover, but it's almost exactly the same size as the 300, so most of the 300 cases work for it.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The 300 Has "SONY" stenciled on the case.
That counts for a lot...
...with *some* people...

Also, you can occasionally find the 300 for US$169 or so.
That makes it some $60 cheaper.

As pointed out, the two units are not really competitors; the 300 is designed to be a minimalist entry level reader while the PB360 is a full-featured compact reader.

A better cross-shop for the PB360 would the Bookeen Opus or the various Hanlin V5's.
For the 300, a better cross-shop would be the Jetbook/Libre twins or the Kobo.

Edit: On the US side, Walmart.com has the 300 at US$149 which puts it squarely in Jetbook/Libre territory.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Wow, that's a great price! Makes me want to buy a few to have some spares!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
There is one thing where the Sony is better: rendering pictures. The Sony 300 renders them quite nicely while the PB360 is very blotchy.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Wow, that's a great price! Makes me want to buy a few to have some spares!
Actually, the PRS-300 is $155 right now.
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
PixeLz112
PixeLz112 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
There is one thing where the Sony is better: rendering pictures. The Sony 300 renders them quite nicely while the PB360 is very blotchy.
Only one advantage vs. at least 9 advantages. That made up my mind.
PixeLz112 is offline   Reply With Quote