Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Well, if Apple manages to stick in an OLED display, and keep the price at somewhat reasonable level, it may actually change the market. Rumors abound, see for instance this: Fuel Added to Apple OLED Netbook/iPhone Rumors

On the other hand, does anyone here have experience reading for extended periods on an OLED device (like one of the Samsung phones?)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
I don't know that I would buy this to replace my 505 reader for reading of novels, etc. But 10" might be just the size to allow me to download the digital edition of the NY Times and other papers and magazines and enjoy them without sitting at my screen. Also, pdf files would be clearly readable. For that type of reading, it isn't a chore to have to charge the unit more frequently.

Mitch
And before you finish reading the NYT on your 10" Apple device, the battery dies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If this creates a new category (10" tablets that don't suck)
That emans Apple's new toy (if they really do release it) won't be in that category as it will suck. If I was to adopt the iPod Touch as my reader, I'd be constantly pissed at the battery dying before I even finish a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It is not going to be easy to beat the battery life of the current ereaders. I have to charge my iPhone every day... my Kindle every what? 2 weeks?
I have to charge my Kindle every other day. I have it on all day (whisper off) and read when ever I have a moment to spare, mornings, lunch, breaks, in the car, during dinner.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm sure the battery life will be over 8 hours, that more than enough I think, and it wouldn't classify itself as "dying before you finish reading the NY times" or "before you finish reading a book" unless you commonly read more than 8 hours in a stetch
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
mel5051
mel5051 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and 2
Apple would probably put in their new battery that is used in the laptop that lasts 8 hours. I see them as bringing back the Newton as the iReader with updated everything.
Jobs won't let anything out that doesn't have good battery life and a good readable screen.
mel5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
Apple would probably put in their new battery that is used in the laptop that lasts 8 hours. I see them as bringing back the Newton as the iReader with updated everything.
The iPhone/iPod Touch already is "the iReader with updated everything". If you look at it, it's basically a Palm device now (although it's arguably more powerful than a Palm, depending on how you measure "power").

Eight hours doesn't strike me as a very long time for a reader to last. (Certainly, it's a pittance compared to the Kindle.) It's not even all that long compared to modern MP3 players. My Archos 605 gets that, as long as I use it for MP3 playback only, and not video and/or Wifi. Of course, it is (somewhat) impressive if a tablet lasts that long, although I've heard of tablets with rated battery lives of 7.5 hours.

I really don't think that this kind of device would be Apple's foray into the ereader market. There's really very little advantage to it over, say, a MacBook. You lose some of the weight, obviously, but you don't gain much else.

Judging from Jobs' statements, I would think that any e-reading capabilities of their devices would be wholly incidental. Jobs doesn't believe people still read.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
....I really don't think that this kind of device would be Apple's foray into the ereader market....
I am not sure many are arguing the device is an e-reader.

I think Apple is more interested in pushing a tablet to beat all tablets, and it may be pushed as a gaming device.

But, at 10", I'd guess that enough users will also do some casual reading on the device, particularly if it has good PDF support. Some are now using the iPhone, even though it has only a 3.5" screen - the bigger screen would certainly make it more usable, particularly for stuff like travel guides, where most current e-readers are practically useless.

And if it has OLED (I doubt it, but who knows,) it would have considerably better battery life, as well as image, compared with LCD devices.

I am wondering, if this device may have been an impetus (together with the iPhone/iPod, of course,) on Amazon's Stanza purchase.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Backlit screen would kill it as a reader for me. I'm at a computer hours every day working, surfing the net etc. so my eyes are pretty fatigued by the time I stop and want to read.

But as a multi function tablet it could be a great device. But I don't personally have much use for a tablet device since I'm pretty much always near a pc or laptop.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #25
macaddicted
macaddicted began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm still not thoroughly convinced that an iPad is coming, though there are some strong hints. A "bigger iPod Touch" just doesn't grab me (this from someone who still owns his original Newton).

There would certainly be some nice conveniences with the typical Touch features. As this is an ereader site I agree that as a book reader it would not be ideal. From the rumors I've read-- yes, I'm one of THOSE Mac people-- it will be priced between an unlocked iPhone and a MacBook, about $700. It would have to do more than being a big Touch to justify that kind of cost. As was said we'll probably see in about five weeks.
macaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Since it's obviously won't use eInk it's rather uninteresting for me - my eyes, my vision come first, usefulness second and fashion is somewhere around 10th place...
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #27
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Since it's obviously won't use eInk it's rather uninteresting for me - my eyes, my vision come first, usefulness second and fashion is somewhere around 10th place...
Actually, if this rumor is correct, the tablet may have OLED screen. OLED is not backlit, and is supposedly much better on the eyes than LCD.

I kind of doubt it, because of the current OLED prices, but Apple can score an OLED tablet for under a $1,000, it would be pretty huge.

---------------

"Apple is set to launch new OLED notebooks and flat panel monitors along with a new OLED iPhone claim sources at LG in Korea.
It's also believed that a new iPhone and iPod Touch due later this year will include an OLED screen made by LG who last year scored a multibillion dollar deal to manufacture display screens for Apple.

One source that SmartHouse has spoken to claims that Apple already have working prototype of a new Netbook which will be manufactured in Taiwan with the OLED screen supplied by LG.

LG have also said that they intend to increase their R&D investment by 25% with significant investments going into OLED solar and new battery technology. The Company has told ChannelNews that they will invest over $3B into R&D over the next 18 months and that recently Apple paid the Company over $500M US dollars up front to work on new monitor and display technology.

Sources in Taiwan told ChannelNews last month that Apple were looking at an OLED based notebook that will also incorporate new touch screen technology. Now sources in Korea are saying that this information is correct and that one area where LG has been testing OLED panels is in the area of touch sensitivity and "leave behind finger marks".
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #28
kamm
Zealot

OLED still has issues, I doubt they would use in a 5"-6" reader.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #29
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
OLED still has issues, I doubt they would use in a 5"-6" reader.
Huh? Who is talking about "5"-6" reader?"

And would you care to explain these "issues" and how they would impact an OLED device? Seriously.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #30
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Huh? Who is talking about "5"-6" reader?"
"Apple: Smaller than the Kindle (...)"

Quote:
And would you care to explain these "issues" and how they would impact an OLED device? Seriously.
It depends. Which type of OLED we're talking about?

Anyway I'm heading home now (holidays start early this year )...