Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
beejsbj
beejsbj began at the beginning.

Device: none
IS there a way to add tags to my title?

title mostly says it all

basically i want to add all the tags of an ebook at the end of the title of said book. except i want to do it in bulk since theres a ton to go through.

thanks
beejsbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would you want to do that?

That said, you can do it via Bulk Metadata Edit->Search and replace, the key parameter is Mode, which you would set to Append to field.

If it's related to files sent to a Device you might be better off using a Metadata plugboard, rather than changing it in the library.

Do heed the warning at the top of the BME->S&R panel.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If it's related to files sent to a Device you might be better off using a Metadata plugboard, rather than changing it in the library.
...BR
+1

I can't imagine the need for doing this within the calibre environment, though I can easily see how it could be useful for books "exported" from calibre for use on a device. I do this with {series} info for my Kindle and for my Windows tablet with Freda as the reader.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The other way to do it is with a custom column made by appending the tags to the title. Again, I don't see the purpose of displaying it like this in calibre, but I think this would be better than changing the underlying metadata.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
beejsbj

so i have several shorts that i want to merge into an anthology, by having the tags in the title of each of the shorts, they would automatically also become part of the TOC in the combined epub making it easier to look for specific tags or something. i can see that its probably a super niche use-case.
Advert
Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@beejsbj - Have a look at the EpubMerge plugin, it may go some way to doing what you want.

BR
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
beejsbj

yup. thats the plugin im using for merging.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Doesn't it merge the tags?

Maybe ask for an enhancement in the plugin's thread - like 'put the tags for the book being merged in paragraph at the top of the corresponding output xhtml file.'

Polluting book title metadata with tags, dates etc, within the library itself is generally considered as a 'bad practice'. If you're going to discard the stories when you've done the merge, maybe that doesn't apply.

But, if I wanted to do this, I would create a "Workbench" library; then:
  • copy the Stories into it using Copy to Library tool;
  • do whatever it takes to create the Anthology, such as appending tags to Story titles (using Bulk Metadata Edit->S&R), before using ePubMerge;
  • move the Anthology into the main library (Copy to library with delete);
  • remove the Stories from the Workshop library and maybe the main library.

Doing it like this would mean if I stuff up, I can start again.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Doesn't it merge the tags?

Maybe ask for an enhancement in the plugin's thread - like 'put the tags for the book being merged in paragraph at the top of the corresponding output xhtml file.'

Polluting book title metadata with tags, dates etc, within the library itself is generally considered as a 'bad practice'. If you're going to discard the stories when you've done the merge, maybe that doesn't apply.

• do whatever it takes to create the Anthology, such as appending tags to Story titles (using Bulk Metadata Edit->S&R), before using ePubMerge;

BR
I don't ever remember seeing it (C2lL merge metadata into an occupied field. I embed metadata before I move, but that only allows me to use the MDE read from selected format (after the transfer) and that stomps any previous values.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
beejsbj

Quote:

BR

Yup thats exactly what i was trying to do. the only problem i was having was with the 2nd point. i still am trying to figure out how to use Bulk metaedit to do what i wanna do.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejsbj View Post
Yup thats exactly what i was trying to do. the only problem i was having was with the 2nd point. i still am trying to figure out how to use Bulk metaedit to do what i wanna do.
Try this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	166457

BR